1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News Chris Weidman reveals 'bones aren't healing' correctly in leg, another surgery required

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Jul 28, 2021.

1. KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

Chris Weidman has experienced a setback in the recover from his catastrophic leg injury.

Weidman (15-6 MMA, 11-6 UFC) infamously suffered a nasty broken leg in his UFC 261 fight with Uriah Hall in April. Previous updated indicated his rehabilitation was going smoothly, but now he’s discovered that’s not the case.

The former UFC middleweight champion Weidman revealed on Wednesday that the bones in his leg are not healing properly, and he must undergo a follow up surgery to correct the issues.

“I’m actually getting another surgery – I just found out,” Weidman told “MMA Today” on SiriusXM. “I’m getting another surgery most likely on Aug. 11. They’re going to have to plate the fibula bone because it’s considered a non-union, so the bones aren’t healing the way it’s supposed too, which kind of sucks.

“I did expect setbacks and issues with this type of traumatic injury, and I’ve been through a lot.”

Weidman did not comment on what his timeline for a return to fighting may look like, but it appears there’s a lot of grueling recovery still ahead for the 37-year-old.

He’s not beating himself up over the situation, though. Weidman said his next surgery will be the 25th of his life, so he’s familiar with the process. This injury is seemingly more complicated than anything he’s endured previously, but Weidman is still keeping a positive mindset as he takes his next step.

“At the end of the day, I guess my mindset is: I’m just a positive person to begin with,” Weidman said. “Not that I don’t have moments of negativity and laziness and lack of motivation, but I’m usually a glass half full type of person. I think that helps. If I ever feel bad for myself, it’s very easy to look at someone else who has it worse and realize you have nothing to complain about it and you shouldn’t feel sorry for yourself.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...recovery-broken-leg-setback-surgery-scheduled

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  2. Get To Da Choppa Black Belt

All the best to teh Chris, but it was probably not a good idea for him to start rehabbing and exercising so soon after surgery, per his social media posts

3. mirko>anyone Red Belt

We all knew he was pushing his luck.

4. brokendogleg White Belt

Wasn't he sparring with Villante a week after his surgery? Not surprised

5. dethmanrulz ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ้้้้้้้้ค้&#36

damn, hopefully it works this time. Ultimately, he has said there's still a chance of amputation - fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

6. blastoff Banned Banned

Wish him the best but not surptised

He's also an anti-vaxxer that values esoteric health tips over actual science

7. HNIC215 Semper Fidelis...

Wish him the best in his recovery but...

Let's be honest -> his career has been over for a while now.

Get a different job and enjoy life Chris.

8. WhiteMousse Red Belt Platinum Member

That's awful, for real. Good grief I wonder what kind of surgery they're talking about.

Poor guy

9. Still Holdin Purple Belt

This just shows how crazy Andersons comeback to fight was...(albiet he wasnt the same "spider" after the injury but still fought valiantly and against ranked opps or legends of the sport)

pamirec, Hazuki Ryo, LIL_GUY and 8 others like this.
  10. Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

Godspeed. I hope he decides to rehab with goals of a long, happy, healthy life instead of an MMA comeback.

qw3rty likes this.
  11. tech99 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If I was him I would have been sitting on my ass for half a year. The guy snapped his shin in half and was putting weight on it in a couple of weeks. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

12. Cauliflower Ear Banned Banned

Do you think the same will be said for Conor?

13. TITS ASS Platinum Member

Shut the fuck up.

14. kdday Brown Belt

Now the anti vaxxer shit has gotten out of control lately, is he anti covid vax, or anti vax, they are two entirely different things.

15. Candy Routure Black Belt Platinum Member

…..And back to Chris. All the best, dude! Please get well!

7th, CannotWin and Istryker like this.
  16. estranged Yellow Card Yellow Card

That’s pretty bad news

17. HunterAcosta Black Belt Platinum Member

Yeah i dont get these guys and their rambo attitudes. But I guess thats what makes them fighters. I had plastic surgery to rebuild my nose (5 broken noses) and they told me not to lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. I can remember being at safeway month out and lifting a basket from ground(musta been over 10lbs) and I felt my whole face stretch and it felt like the stitches in my nose were gonna explode and my nose was gonna leak. I quickly dropped the basket. I cant imagine doing strenuous ass exercise during that time.

18. RonJhun808 All Praise to the One Professional Fighter

Its not uncommon for this to happen. Chris is getting some of the best care in the world. Barring an infection he will be fine. Also those calling for fighters to retire or saying they are past their prime. Why dont you let the fighter his family and his camp make those assessments or decisions. Most of you braddahs saying this are the same group saying Conor comes back and starches Dustin. To me Chris has had the better career and fought tougher competition. Anyting Weidman decides to do I will always be a fan.

19. blastoff Banned Banned

Both I believe

20. RonJhun808 All Praise to the One Professional Fighter

Had mine done 3 years ago after 17 breaks. First time I was able to breathe properly in over 20 years. I remember the first time I had to sneeze after surgery I was like "No No No No No" Its amazing what a difference it makes especially my sleep. My wifes sleep too. The snoring was nakkas

pamirec, Nigol, Gutter Chris and 4 others like this.