Chris Weidman on Michael Bisping: "Anderson Silva would kill him."

fair enough Anderson hasnt faced a fighter thats good at wrestling and BJJ, but the fact still stands that Elite BJJ guys have all failed to even get a submission attempt on Silva and Elite Wrestlers have failed to do any damage to Silva on the ground.

Chris Weidman hasnt showed me anything to say that he'll do any better then these
guys.

Neither has all off the MW division.

I'd like to see Anderson fight them both at the same time. They still might lose.

Weidman is not a bigger threat than Chael imo.

I think Weidman is a great all round fighter, but I fail to see how he does any more then what any other fighter has done on the ground.
Carlos Newton is an absolute wizard on the ground, he failed to do anything on the ground.
Travis lutter is damn good on the ground, he ended up eating elbows and getting choked at the sametime.
Sonnen - strong wrestler, did nothing but pitter patter punches the whole fight, ended up submitted.
Hendo - strong wrestler again, did no damage to Silva.

I've never seen Anderson in danger on the ground at all in the UFC, and I cant see how Weidman is going to be any different.

newton actually had some success on the ground, he just got a little too aggressive looking for subs and he let silva get back to guard then got ko'd after that. lutter did fine in the first. he was badly gassed in the second though. sonnen may not have done a ton of visible damage, but he landed some solid shots and he got some good positions early on. he stopped trying to advance later in the fight though. henderson's wrestling has been overrated for a long time. it's decent, but i can't even remember the last time he outwrestled anyone. his top control isn't great either, and he still managed to get to half guard on silva when he got him down.

fair enough Anderson hasnt faced a fighter thats good at wrestling and BJJ, but the fact still stands that Elite BJJ guys have all failed to even get a submission attempt on Silva and Elite Wrestlers have failed to do any damage to Silva on the ground.

Chris Weidman hasnt showed me anything to say that he'll do any better then these
guys.

yes but the problem is that MW has not been the best division for talent so the guys getting shots at Anderson have mostly had huge holes in their game for Anderson to exploit. And when you fight a killer like Anderson and show him a hole he will eventually kill you, if you do not finish him first.

Lutter has one of the worse gas tanks in the sport. He could not even make weight for his gift title shot and showed up to the fight near death trying to make weight. He had about 2 minutes of gas tank to finish Anderson before his gas tank made him hugely vulnerable and he put Anderson in some terrible spots in that time. He was winning 10-8 rounds. Sonnen has a huge hole in sub defense for a guy who should be an elite of the division. You cannot wave that sub opportunity at Anderson for 5 straight rounds and expect him not to eventually catch you. If Sonnen had the sub defense of GSP, Bendo or any of the top wrestling grapplers that inhabit every division outside MW, Anderson would have almost certainly lost that fight.

For everyone who didnt actually read the interview, he wasnt trashtalking at all.

"I think Anderson would kill him. Bisping has a chance against anyone and can stop any fighter, but Anderson is just 'the guy'."

weidman's stand up is just as good as chael's, and his wrestling is more versatile. his bjj is way ahead of sonnen's, and he also has more power. so, yeah, he is a bigger threat than chael, in my opinion.

I wonder if Bisping is going to be a big trash talking baby towards Anderson or if he'll come to the table with a bit more respect.

He wont "come to the table"... Unfortunately for Bisbing, he is facing one of the worst guys he could have faced in Vitor.

weidman's stand up is just as good as chael's, and his wrestling is more versatile. his bjj is way ahead of sonnen's, and he also has more power. so, yeah, he is a bigger threat than chael, in my opinion.

I'd love to see them fight.

And that is OK. Chael not only won but dominated Anderson for most of the 7 rounds they fought. Sure Anderson is a sniper who can finish anyone in a blink but Weidman does not have the huge holes in his game Chael does to exploit. Anderson would still be a favorite to find a way to finish Weidman, but Weidman would pose an interesting threat, unlike Bisping.

I'd say he's as big a threat as Okami, and I personally think Okami is one of the most skilled fighters in the world. Anderson's striking advantage is just too great. Weidman's confidence, size, and well rounded skill set has sold me on a potential fight. Hope he heals up soon.

In the mean time, let Anderson and Mousasi go to war at 205.

And that is OK. Chael not only won but dominated Anderson for most of the 7 rounds they fought. Sure Anderson is a sniper who can finish anyone in a blink but Weidman does not have the huge holes in his game Chael does to exploit. Anderson would still be a favorite to find a way to finish Weidman, but Weidman would pose an interesting threat, unlike Bisping.

I agree with this. But I've seen Anderson against interesting threats so many times (Hendo, Chael pt 2, and Vitor were interesting match ups at the time of each), at this point in his career I'm good with just watching him crush people or fight GSP/Jones.

I'd say he's as big a threat as Okami, and I personally think Okami is one of the most skilled fighters in the world. Anderson's striking advantage is just too great. Weidman's confidence, size, and well rounded skill set has sold me on a potential fight. Hope he heals up soon.

In the mean time, let Anderson and Mousasi go to war at 205.

i think he's a little better than okami (better offensive grappling, more versatile striking, and more power power).

as for silva/mousasi:

nodding.gif

sonnen/weidman or silva/weidman? i think both would be entertaining fights.

Both would be fun match ups but I was specifically referring to Sonnen/Weidman, if only to see how the grappling played out.

I wonder how the betting line would look.

lolwut?

We are talking about the MW champ defending his belt against the top MW contenders. not fantasy fights that will not happen unless Anderson moves to WW to fight.

He did it ten times, it's getting tedious. I'd rather see a superfight at catchweight.

I agree with this. But I've seen Anderson against interesting threats so many times (Hendo, Chael pt 2, and Vitor were interesting match ups at the time of each), at this point in his career I'm good with just watching him crush people or fight GSP/Jones.

you're right that those fights were interesting, but they also went to show that in order to stand a chance vs silva, you have to have more than just one weapon: henderson and vitor were looking for that one-shot knockout, sonnen was looking to win via top control+gnp. weidman is a guy with good stand-up, so he won't get embarrassed like maia was, great td's, and awesome bjj. so he can win by keeping silva on his back and using his gnp, or he can potentially sub him.

newton actually had some success on the ground, he just got a little too aggressive looking for subs and he let silva get back to guard then got ko'd after that. lutter did fine in the first. he was badly gassed in the second though. sonnen may not have done a ton of visible damage, but he landed some solid shots and he got some good positions early on. he stopped trying to advance later in the fight though. henderson's wrestling has been overrated for a long time. it's decent, but i can't even remember the last time he outwrestled anyone. his top control isn't great either, and he still managed to get to half guard on silva when he got him down.

But Anderson was never in any danger at all in the fight, Anderson wasnt rocked or anything like that. My point still stands he really did not much at all, not to the point where it effected Andersons game at all.

yes but the problem is that MW has not been the best division for talent so the guys getting shots at Anderson have mostly had huge holes in their game for Anderson to exploit. And when you fight a killer like Anderson and show him a hole he will eventually kill you, if you do not finish him first.

Lutter has one of the worse gas tanks in the sport. He could not even make weight for his gift title shot and showed up to the fight near death trying to make weight. He had about 2 minutes of gas tank to finish Anderson before his gas tank made him hugely vulnerable and he put Anderson in some terrible spots in that time. He was winning 10-8 rounds. Sonnen has a huge hole in sub defense for a guy who should be an elite of the division. You cannot wave that sub opportunity at Anderson for 5 straight rounds and expect him not to eventually catch you. If Sonnen had the sub defense of GSP, Bendo or any of the top wrestling grapplers that inhabit every division outside MW, Anderson would have almost certainly lost that fight.

So your essentially saying to me Chris Weidman has no holes in his game? I find that hard to believe, especially based off of 2 fights, one against a guy that is now in the WW division.
I'm sure Chris' striking ain't the best which it isn't, and Anderson could even still submit him on the ground off of his back.
The thing with Anderson is he is capable of doing anything. and is very unpredictable.
Weidman is far from the perfect fighter you think he is.

Back