Chris Weidman on Michael Bisping: "Anderson Silva would kill him."

He's a far worse matchup than Bisping, and you're just hating if you deny that.

Weidman has the takedowns to put Silva on his back and, unlike Chael, the submission skills to put him in real trouble there.

Say what you want, but Weidman easily poses the biggest threat to Anderson at MW.

And that is why Anderson and his fans will push for any fight but Weidman.

it is the strangest dynamic I have ever seen for a champ and his fans in this sport. Not just a champ, but arguably the GOAT and yet the desire is to avoid the potentially tougher contender fights and push for the easiest matchups they can find.

I, honestly have never seen this before as most want to see the guy they believe the best fight and beat the next best guys and not avoid them because they pose a potential threat.

Bisping is arguably the top 10 MW with the smallest chance to upset Anderson.

While Anderson is the rightful big favorite over everyone at MW, Bisping simply poses no tools to get even a crazy odds upset. Other then an 'anything can happen...Anderson might trip and KO himself' type win, Bisping's chance is as near zero as we have ever seen in championship fight.

Sad that is the type of opponent so many want for Anderson in his remaining fights when the only rightful knock on his great career is the lack of elite or top level opponents who could really test him.

Sad that you think Silva vs Weidman would be more interesting than Silva vs GSP.

Yeah, people keep on saying all that but nobody's beaten him yet...Weidman's got a good record and some skills, but he's still a little green compared to Anderson and most of the people he's faced in the UFC. You predicting that Chris can do this or that to him is just an opinion of what could happen when they fight.

I actually think that if Bisping gets past Belfort somehow (avoids getting caught by a hard shot and an "old Vitor" flurry), he and Anderson would a funny fight. I'm pretty sure that Anderson would let Bisping come out and throw some punches, feel him out, and then toy with him and crush him like he did to Forrest for some reason.

so you're one of those silva fans who's just looking forward to the easiest possible match ups for him?

Uh-oh...he knows Bisping doesn't like being talked about like that lol. Bisping v Weidman...?

Call me crazy, but I think that Bisping has a chance...I'd say about 15%. He has great footwork, great cardio, and takes fantastic angles. Does he have the power to knock anderson out? No, but who ever has? The only time a kick has defeated Anderson is when he planted one in Okami's face from guard. Bisping would negate a lot of Anderson's reach advantage and could stay busy enough to outpoint him. It's actually his points style that benefits him, as he wouldn't necessarily being looking to go for the "kill" that headhunters like Belfort, Cote, and Leben go for.

i've seen fighters with decent game plans do just fine standing with anderson. all they needed was a game which wasn't one dimensional. weidman doesn't have that problem as he's a very versatile fighter.

yes, anderson does have some submissions off his back, but he's also looked extremely vulnerable off his back as well, being unable to get back to his feet, or prevent his opponents from getting passed his guard on many occasions. i'm definitely not saying that he's helpless, but weidman would certainly have the advantage on the ground.

I think Weidman is a great all round fighter, but I fail to see how he does any more then what any other fighter has done on the ground.
Carlos Newton is an absolute wizard on the ground, he failed to do anything on the ground.
Travis lutter is damn good on the ground, he ended up eating elbows and getting choked at the sametime.
Sonnen - strong wrestler, did nothing but pitter patter punches the whole fight, ended up submitted.
Hendo - strong wrestler again, did no damage to Silva.

I've never seen Anderson in danger on the ground at all in the UFC, and I cant see how Weidman is going to be any different.

And that is why Anderson and his fans will push for any fight but Weidman.

it is the strangest dynamic I have ever seen for a champ and his fans in this sport. Not just a champ, but arguably the GOAT and yet the desire is to avoid the potentially tougher contender fights and push for the easiest matchups they can find.

I, honestly have never seen this before as most want to see the guy they believe the best fight and beat the next best guys and not avoid them because they pose a potential threat.

so you're one of those silva fans who's just looking forward to the easiest possible match ups for him?

I'm one of Anderson's biggest fans, and I want Weidman vs Silva more then any fight right now just to shut guys like yourselfs up.

Your probably the same MMA fans that think Anderson hand picked Bonnar and Griffin, not to mention they have both where never gimmie fights to anyone in the LHW division.

No. Weidman wouldn't even get past his striking.
Not to mention Anderson is underrated off his back. The guy has been there a fair few times and has either submitted someone or stopped the man on top from doing anything.

Haters gonna hate

Anderson has never faced a wrestling based td guy who did not get his chances. Lutter, hendo, Sonnen1, SOnnen2, all put him on his back for most of 2 rounds and as much as 5 rounds and won dominant rounds over him, showing some real vulnerabilities in the process. You don't want a guy with top submissions and a gas tank passing your guard and gaining mount and having almost a whole round or two to seek a finish and Anderson seems unable to prevent that.

yes Anderson is very good at defense and avoiding damage in that spot and just bidding time until the round ends and the bell gets him back up, but he has never had someone as able to finish from that spot as Weidman. Weidman would be the rightful dog in that fight but he would get his chances. HE would not be the first wrestling based td to not put anderson on his back.

#1 vs #2 mw as opposed to #1 mw vs #1 ww. geez, what a crazy premise. :rolleyes:

Anderson is 38 and GSP is the biggest draw and #2 P4P. Much more interesting.

And who do you think has a better chance of beating Silva, GSP or Weidman?

Yes Anderson would Ko Bisping but Bisping would probably Tko weidman in a 5 round fight

He would kill you too, Chris.

2.gif

Anderson has never faced a wrestling based td guy who did not get his chances. Lutter, hendo, Sonnen1, SOnnen2, all put him on his back for most of 2 rounds and as much as 5 rounds and won dominant rounds over him, showing some real vulnerabilities in the process. You don't want a guy with top submissions and a gas tank passing your guard and gaining mount and having almost a whole round or two to seek a finish and Anderson seems unable to prevent that.

yes Anderson is very good at defense and avoiding damage in that spot and just bidding time until the round ends and the bell gets him back up, but he has never had someone as able to finish from that spot as Weidman. Weidman would be the rightful dog in that fight but he would get his chances. HE would not be the first wrestling based td to not put anderson on his back.

fair enough Anderson hasnt faced a fighter thats good at wrestling and BJJ, but the fact still stands that Elite BJJ guys have all failed to even get a submission attempt on Silva and Elite Wrestlers have failed to do any damage to Silva on the ground.

Chris Weidman hasnt showed me anything to say that he'll do any better then these
guys.

Yeah, people keep on saying all that but nobody's beaten him yet...Weidman's got a good record and some skills, but he's still a little green compared to Anderson and most of the people he's faced in the UFC. You predicting that Chris can do this or that to him is just an opinion of what could happen when they fight.

I actually think that if Bisping gets past Belfort somehow (avoids getting caught by a hard shot and an "old Vitor" flurry), he and Anderson would a funny fight. I'm pretty sure that Anderson would let Bisping come out and throw some punches, feel him out, and then toy with him and crush him like he did to Forrest for some reason.

When you have one of the GOATs in his last few remaining fights getting gimmie fights that is not fun, that is sad. Bisping poses zero threat to beat Anderson. He poses as close to zero as possible grappling threat, as close to zero striking threat as can exist in an opponent for Anderson. He cannot out counter strike Anderson to dance to a decision either.

Fans need to want more of their top fighters then complete gimmie fights.

Sad that you think Silva vs Weidman would be more interesting than Silva vs GSP.
lolwut?

We are talking about the MW champ defending his belt against the top MW contenders. not fantasy fights that will not happen unless Anderson moves to WW to fight.

I think Weidman is a great all round fighter, but I fail to see how he does any more then what any other fighter has done on the ground.
Carlos Newton is an absolute wizard on the ground, he failed to do anything on the ground.
Travis lutter is damn good on the ground, he ended up eating elbows and getting choked at the sametime.
Sonnen - strong wrestler, did nothing but pitter patter punches the whole fight, ended up submitted.
Hendo - strong wrestler again, did no damage to Silva.

I've never seen Anderson in danger on the ground at all in the UFC, and I cant see how Weidman is going to be any different.

FACT is Anderson has only looked vulnerable in fights against wrestling based td grapplers. Lutter, Hendo, Sonnen1 and Sonnen2 are the only times we have seen him lose rounds and have to come from behind to win.

Yes Anderson is up to the task of coming from behind and finishing his opponents to win. We know that. He is a GOAT after all. But if you want to see him actually in a fight. In a fight with challengers who can at least pose some threat, then it is not stand up strikers.

Some Anderson fans just don't want to see him ever challenged and fear any fighter who pose even a paper threat and would rather see Anderson given gimmie fights then fight a top opponent. Sad.

Back