Chris Weidman: "If I get my hands on Anderson Silva, it's game over."

it's still the worst aspect of his game, and therefore his "weakness"

I would say the worst part of GSP's game is his striking but I wouldn't begin to call it a 'weakness'. It still takes the best strikers to outstrike. Likewise it takes the best wrestlers to outwrestle Silva over the course of a fight.

I need to watch Weidman vs Silva

Obviously Silva should be the favorite here but Weidman does have a very strong case.

I want to see who the best in the division is, is this young hungry lion capable of dethroning the champ? we need to know, stop keeping us guessing.

I would say the worst part of GSP's game is his striking but I wouldn't begin to call it a 'weakness'. It still takes the best strikers to outstrike. Likewise it takes the best wrestlers to outwrestle Silva over the course of a fight.

I see that point, but what aspect of Anderson's game would you call his "weakness", were it not his TDD or scrambling?

I need to watch Weidman vs Silva

Obviously Silva should be the favorite here but Weidman does have a very strong case.

I want to see who the best in the division is, is this young hungry lion capable of dethroning the champ? we need to know, stop keeping us guessing.

Most of us already know. Its only a select few who seem to think there is some kind of question to be answered here. There is no reason to think Weidman wouldn't end up like Chael, Okami, Hendo and every other grappler Silva has faced in the last 7 years.

I see that point, but what aspect of Anderson's game would you call his "weakness", were it not his TDD or scrambling?

I don't think he has a weakness. I just think his wrestling isn't as good as his striking and bjj but its by no means 'weak'. Perhaps it was a couple of years ago but I think his fights against Okami, Chael, and Bonnar has shown he has become extremely difficult to take down.

I'm so tired of Weidman and Hendricks, everyday complaining.......

Oh, i beat the slowest Munoz ever coming back from surgery ! Oh, i had lackluster fight of the year with 170 pounds fighter Maia! Gimme MY title shot ? WHAT ?

Give him one of these at least:

Hector Lombard (makes most sense, both are ready to bang, while the other 4 have scheduled fights)
Alan Belcher
Vitor Belfort
Michael Bisping
Tim Boetsch

Most of us already know. Its only a select few who seem to think there is some kind of question to be answered here. There is no reason to think Weidman wouldn't end up like Chael, Okami, Hendo and every other grappler Silva has faced in the last 7 years.

I think that Weidman has better submissions than Chael, Okami, or Hendo, and he has better wrestling than Maia or Lutter.

Anderson has fought better wrestlers and better BJJ guys than Weidman, but he hasn't fought someone who mixes them together as well as Chris does. The way he manhandled Munoz (who is one of the better wrestlers in the 185 division) in the first round of their fight was incredibly impressive.

And he has proven that he had brutally finish people on the feet, as he saw in the Munoz fight. Which is more than Chael, Okami, Lutter or Maia can do.

4.gif

I think Weidman is probably the most well-rounded fighter to face Silva in a long time.

nah homie, its not as clear cut as you make it to be. we all saw andersons weakness is his wrestling. weidman has excellent mma wrestling and good stopping power. This kid is the future. your a blind nuthugger (or just ignorant) if you think Weidman has a very little chance here. Anderson has a lot to lose in this fight and he knows it so he ignores Weidman, its a fight anything can happen. Instead he rallies for weak fighters like GSP who has no real stopping power.

I think he's trying to say Anderson doesn't necessarily have a 'weakness', he just has certain parts of his game that aren't up to the standard of his spectacular striking.

Like, you wouldn't really say his TDD looks weak, would you? It's not like he's put on his back in a lot of fights.

The funny thing is, Hendricks has a much stronger case than Weidman yet everyone tries to propel Weidman as the number 1 contender and then bashes Hendricks for speaking up...

I agree that Weidman hasn't done enough. People forget that he was rocked by Jesse fucking Bongfeldt yet he's the man to dethrone Silva because he stopped Munoz in the second round... Hell, I guess Hamill can also beat Silva cause he stopped Munoz in the first.

He needs to fight the winner of Belfort/Bisping or the winner of Boetsch/Philippou (idk if he would fight a teammate though?)

I think he's trying to say Anderson doesn't necessarily have a 'weakness', he just has certain parts of his game that aren't up to the standard of his spectacular striking.

Like, you wouldn't really say his TDD looks weak, would you? It's not like he's put on his back in a lot of fights.

No, not "weak", persay, just not up to the standard that his striking is.

I think that Weidman has better submissions than Chael, Okami, or Hendo, and he has better wrestling than Maia or Lutter.

Anderson has fought better wrestlers and better BJJ guys than Weidman, but he hasn't fought someone who mixes them together as well as Chris does. The way he manhandled Munoz (who is one of the better wrestlers in the 185 division) in the first round of their fight was incredibly impressive.

But Chris hasn't been in there with anyone that can test this ability you speak of. Munoz is not a great mma wrestler, he's a serviceable one at best. It was impressive that he wasn't sub'd by Maia I guess but just simply taking Maia down is no incredible feat.

The only reason Chael was able to do so well against Silva wasn't just his ability to take him down but also his impossible top game. Go look at Chaels fights against Okami, Nate, Silva, Stann, and Filho. These guys literally spent 95% of these fights on their back. Bisping put up incredible resistance but by the 3rd he was getting dominated like these others.

There is nothing Weidman has done that suggests he could be this effective of a grappler. And if he can't keep Silva down for 5 rounds, which theres no reason to think that he can, he should be ko'd quite easily.

He needs to fight the winner of Belfort/Bisping or the winner of Boetsch/Philippou (idk if he would fight a teammate though?)

I think that this fight is the most ideal one to decide on the true #1 Contender. MW is stacked in the Top 5, for sure. Lots of good fighters up there.

And he has proven that he had brutally finish people on the feet, as he saw in the Munoz fight. Which is more than Chael, Okami, Lutter or Maia can do.

4.gif

I think Weidman is probably the most well-rounded fighter to face Silva in a long time.
Lol what? Munoz is not one of the best wrestlers in the 205 division. He couldn't get Okami down to save his life and was taken down at will by Chris Leben.

He hasn't submitted anyone notable either. His stoppage of Munoz was impressive but not impressive enough for this kind of talk.

Knocking out 2 top 5 fighters in your division in under a minute is damn impressive though.

But Chris hasn't been in there with anyone that can test this ability you speak of. Munoz is not a great mma wrestler, he's a serviceable one at best. It was impressive that he wasn't sub'd by Maia I guess but just simply taking Maia down is no incredible feat.

The only reason Chael was able to do so well against Silva wasn't just his ability to take him down but also his impossible top game. Go look at Chaels fights against Okami, Nate, Silva, Stann, and Filho. These guys literally spent 95% of these fights on their back. Bisping put up incredible resistance but by the 3rd he was getting dominated like these others.

There is nothing Weidman has done that suggests he could be this effective of a grappler. And if he can't keep Silva down for 5 rounds, which theres no reason to think that he can, he should be ko'd quite easily.

I want to see Chris prove his standup ability against someone like Lombard or Phillipou, as he hasn't really fought any great strikers yet.

Hasn't walked through fire yet. And talks like he is a god!

4.gif

He could be as well rounded as you claim but his performances in the UFC don't suggest that. Okami, Nate, Chael, Hendo, Vitor, and possibly Rich are more well rounded if we're talking skill for skill and what they've actually done.

Just my opinion tho.

The funny thing is, Hendricks has a much stronger case than Weidman yet everyone tries to propel Weidman as the number 1 contender and then bashes Hendricks for speaking up...

I agree that Weidman hasn't done enough. People forget that he was rocked by Jesse fucking Bongfeldt yet he's the man to dethrone Silva because he stopped Munoz in the second round... Hell, I guess Hamill can also beat Silva cause he stopped Munoz in the first.

Who the fuck does this? Anyone who does is a hypocrite. They both deserve shots, though Hendricks is as deserving as a contender can possibly be, really.

Back