Chris Weidman: I’m UFC’s most decorated middleweight with the most title defenses, I deserve a TS.

It's weird for me, but I think the Chris actually might do well against Bobby Knux, if he can avoid getting clipped early.

His physical size (ranginess) and wrestling / sub game could make things interesting imo.

Its more weird you consider that kind of stance weird. Weidman is ridiculously underrated here.

I dunno, Whittaker didn't look as invincible in his last fight as many were making him out to be and might actually be permanently damaged after being 5th round Romeo'd...

This is true but Whittaker has gone 10 rounds with Romero and took an absolute beating with a broken hand in their last fight and still won. Not only that, Bobby busted Romero up pretty bad and couldn't finish him. I think as long as these two are at the top of the division, Weidman ain't getting that belt.

It's weird for me, but I think the Chris actually might do well against Bobby Knux, if he can avoid getting clipped early.

His physical size (ranginess) and wrestling / sub game could make things interesting imo.

He has the best shot to beat Whittaker aside from Yoel imo.

Look, there are no other contenders deserving of a title shot. The name I keep hearing here is Gastelum, but Weidman choked the shit outta him his last fight.....

3 TKO/KO losses in last 4 fights. Asks for title shot.

He didn't cheat, but he milked the shit out of the clock by pretending that he was hurt. Chris fucked it up. It was better for him, Moose was already dismantling him.

He took knees to the head. Of course he was hurt.

The ref took away the opportunity for Mousasi to legit finish Weidman and he took away the opportunity for Weidman to come back into the fight.

Still My Boy is delusional af. A few fans have turned on him after his repeated insistence for a title shot with a 1-3 record in his last 4 fights. He had his chance but pulled out of 199.

Kelvin is 2-1-1 in his last four, but effectively 3-1. His 3 wins were more impressive than My Boy's one.

Its more weird you consider that kind of stance weird. Weidman is ridiculously underrated here.

This concept has pros and cons.

Weidman had a really tough strength of schedule with Luke and Romero back to back, the latter coming off of neck surgery. The Moose fight had a somewhat controversial ending, but we can say it was a competitive loss. Getting stopped three in a row is still getting stopped three in a row.

Nobody can be a top 5 fighter forever, and when it goes, it usually goes fast. Weidman has had a variety of fairly serious surgeries over the years - shoulder, elbow, neck and now this funky thing with his hand.

Everyone should acknowledge how good Chris was in his prime, and he's extraordinary talented, but his body may be done with MMA even though his desire is still solid. I think his best days are behind him.

Why hasn't Chris been fighting? Why so inactive? He's just hoping to be gifted a title shot and waiting it out? That's not a good look. He should be fighting.
You don't seem to follow this too closely. He had a hand injury but the first surgery failed and required a second. I guess it was a pretty nasty injury. Although yes, regardless he is too inactive and/or injured too much.

Given he is 1 of 2 choices, it makes complete sense he tries to make a case for a title shot.

Still My Boy is delusional af. A few fans have turned on him after his repeated insistence for a title shot with a 1-3 record in his last 4 fights. He had his chance but pulled out of 199.

Kelvin is 2-1-1 in his last four, but effectively 3-1. His 3 wins were more impressive than My Boy's one.

It is a nuanced scenario that requires context.

Romero has lost twice to Whittaker and just failed to make weight twice. He is solidly out of the picture.

Jacare just got put away and is completely out of the picture.

Luke is going to be a LHW and is badly injured.

So we only have two top 5 middleweights remotely in contention, and that is Kelvin and Weidman. Neither man has a solid claim if it were not a confluence of events that left them the only two options.

Weidman's last win wasn't just beating Kelvin, but he choked him out in under 3 rounds. That was less than a year ago, you can't just brush it off like it never happened. Neither guy is a particularly deserving candidate and there is a reasonable argument either guy gets the shot.

It's not too farfetched to give him a shot IMO. In the Mousasi fight, I thought he won the first round and wasn't looking too bad in the second, though that stunt he pulled after the knee was a bitch move. But he didn't look terrible and may have gone on to win if he didn't earn the loss by trying to fake that he was brain damaged.

Also it is a little strange to give Gastelum a shot when he just lost to Weidman. I could see that too though. To be fair the division is kind of screwed up now after those bullshit cherrypicked matchups Bisping had. It's a bit of a toss up, and I wouldn't be surprised either way.

It is a nuanced scenario that requires context.

Romero has lost twice to Whittaker and just failed to make weight twice. He is solidly out of the picture.

Jacare just got put away and is completely out of the picture.

Luke is going to be a LHW and is badly injured.

So we only have two top 5 middleweights remotely in contention, and that is Kelvin and Weidman. Neither man has a solid claim if it were not a confluence of events that left them the only two options.

Weidman's last win wasn't just beating Kelvin, but he choked him out in under 3 rounds. That was less than a year ago, you can't just brush it off like it never happened. Neither guy is a particularly deserving candidate and there is a reasonable argument either guy gets the shot.
I see your point, but imo even though Kelvin's loss to My Boy was less than a year ago, he has distanced himself from that loss with 2 consecutive wins. One over the former champion and the other over a dangerous top 5 contender who for sure has a better submission game than My Boy, which hints that maybe Kelvin improved in that area after the loss.

If you look at My Boy's win streak before the loss to Rockhold, its mostly against ageing, past prime competition. Souza and Kennedy are imo better wins than any from My Boy's streak.

Plus, if it really is a 50/50 toss up for the next shot, why not reward the dude who moved up despite being small for the weight class and performed better than most expected him to. Put some fresh blood in the title picture.

Look, there are no other contenders deserving of a title shot. The name I keep hearing here is Gastelum, but Weidman choked the shit outta him his last fight.....
he was going into that fight on a 3 fight losing streak then took a year off. unfortunately he didn't have enough momentum behind him to take the year off and still be sitting at the top. Kelvin has since beat contenders. The chris should fight jacare at this point IMO

He could end up getting it. Whittaker said he thinks Chris is more deserving and Dana was pissed at kelvin after 225 for not being ready to step in.

He took knees to the head. Of course he was hurt.

The ref took away the opportunity for Mousasi to legit finish Weidman and he took away the opportunity for Weidman to come back into the fight.
Yes, he took that knee, but he wasn't badly hurt. It wasn't referee's fault either. The moment that the doctor asked him that he could continue and Chris said "no"... that moment he fucked it up 100%.

Yes, he took that knee, but he wasn't badly hurt. It wasn't referee's fault either. The moment that the doctor asked him that he could continue and Chris said "no"... that moment he fucked it up 100%.

He never said he couldn't continue. The doctor asked him what month it was and he answered wrong so they called the fight. Weidman wanted to continue, that's why he appealed the loss.
So the ref should stop the action and let the doctor go in everytime fighter is rocked or hurt and begin to ask questions?

Hint: The doctor would stop the fight 9/10 times if they did that.

Back