Chris Weidman Hope or hype

Thank God for Idiotic MMA fans...these guys are going to drop money on Weidman and inflate the odds.

Anderson should be -300 at the very least...but thanks to these guys I might get him at -250.

Weidman is a great MW.

But the Munoz fight doesn't suggest anything about how he would do against several other top guys. Munoz was SO ineffective against Okami and almost got KO'd by Maia.

As of this time, I see Weidman taking R1 and getting TKO'd in R2. But Weidman can definitely be a champ someday, maybe in a couple more years.

Weidman is a great MW.

But the Munoz fight doesn't suggest anything about how he would do against several other top guys. Munoz was SO ineffective against Okami and almost got KO'd by Maia.

As of this time, I see Weidman taking R1 and getting TKO'd in R2. But Weidman can definitely be a champ someday, maybe in a couple more years.

It doesn't show how he'd do against other top mw? What a weird statement. Who should he fight to show how he'd do against other top mw

It doesn't show how he'd do against other top mw? What a weird statement. Who should he fight to show how he'd do against other top mw

Which elite MW did Munoz beat?
Just Maia? And that was a very close fight in which Maia had Munoz in trouble with his striking of all things. That decision could have gone either way.
Leben is not elite, and the hype train on Munoz went way out of control after that win.
The Okami fight was a basically horrendous performance by Munoz. How that was a split decision is a mystery to me; every one of Munoz's skills were completely ineffective.
And the first thing I always think of when I hear about Munoz is Mr. LnP Hamill knocking him out with a HEAD KICK!!!! LOL.

If he beat Belfort, Sonnen, Okami, Franklin... then we can talk.

With his current resume, Weidman isn't a sure thing for a title shot.

(a) That attempt to note "you're smarter than that" as if my siding with someone means I am as lacking in logical talent as they are in all facets, due to my agreeing with a single stance, is ridiculous. I agree with Hitler than german shepards are awesome dogs. That doesn't mean I hate jews.

Point accepted, my bad. Its just the guy is such an incredible troll and I wouldn't think any real mma fan who is being honest would think Anderson's fans are scared of Chris Weidman. I thought you would see through that sea of ridiculousness. But regardless I see your point.

(b) If you believe Maia and Munoz aren't A-level, I have to questions what you know about MMA on a basic level.

(c) He beat #5 and #3 consecutively. Show me a fighter with a better two-fight scenario who does not have a lost in their last 2-3 fights?

(d) Those who think Bisping should have a shot are wholly lost in the "Let's keep Anderson's record shiny". He has zero to offer Anderson.

(e) Weidman is a package that Anderson hasn't had to deal with since Lutter. A quality submission-capable fighter who can put Anderson on his back. Add to that he can strike, and his as large as Anderson, and you've got an actual interesting set up. Then when you add to that #5 and #3 being beaten consecutively.... I'm not sure what is left to dicuss.

Ando got a shot after a fight in the UFC, beating a lower top-10. Lesnar got a shot after beating Herring after coming off a Mir loss. Let's stop throwing around the "he doesn't deserve it" bulls#it. Furthermore, let's stop with the "We don't know enough, thus he shouldn't get a shot. Wouldn't Anderson not having as much material give him a better shot? So... not sure what the problem is there, unless you find that unfair.

b) Well I think this is a simple case of having different definitions of A level and B level. I consider guys like Overeem, Werdum, Cormier, Rashad, Gus, Machida, Hendo, Sonnen, ect to be A level. Would you argue Mark Munoz is on these guys level? Has he beaten anywhere near the number of quality fighters as these guys have? Has he put on multiple great performances? No, no, and no.

c) Title shots are about more than just win streaks. And Munoz is quite possibly the worst #3 fighter in the history of #3's. Weidman needs to do more than beat Mark Munoz no matter where he was ranked.

d) Bisping is a more proven, established, and legit fighter. If MMA ended tomorrow Bisping would be a much more valuable name to have on your resume than Chris Weidman. I want Anderson to fight the most established fighters and right now at MW that is Michael Bisping.

e) And you want to question my basic mma knowledge? Go watch round 1 of the Sakara fight. Then close your eyes and imagine that is Anderson standing up against the cage effortlessly stuffing the supposed wrestling and grappling phenoms takedowns. Do you think this fight makes it to round 2? There is no reason to think he would do any better than Yushin Okami or Stephen Bonnar.

And Anderson got a shot in the UFC after picking up 5 top10 wins, 2 belts, 3 title defenses, and being ranked for several years. Again, UFC title shots are about more than your very last fight.

Weidman hasn't lost a single round in the UFC. Over the past few years, Silva has lost more complete rounds than he has won.

Yea, Anderson loses rounds. And then he punches you once or he subs your ass. And it's over.
What is he? 17-0 in the UFC? Yea, OMG, he lost a few rounds! It's not his style. You should know that by now.

He doesn't lay on people and pillow punch them.
He doesn't touch his opponent and run away.
He doesn't surprise them with a sudden TD in the middle of a kickboxing match and then let them back up 2 seconds later.
So he lost a few rounds.

Just Maia? And that was a very close fight in which Maia had Munoz in trouble with his striking of all things. That decision could have gone either way.
Leben is not elite, and the hype train on Munoz went way out of control after that win.
The Okami fight was a basically horrendous performance by Munoz. How that was a split decision is a mystery to me; every one of Munoz's skills were completely ineffective.
And the first thing I always think of when I hear about Munoz is Mr. LnP Hamill knocking him out with a HEAD KICK!!!! LOL.

Well munoz did win the second round against okami so he wasn't totally ineffective.

Sonnen is at lhw, we still haven't seen belfort beat a legit mw of today, Franklin is still out and you reallythink bbeating Franklin would erase any doubts.

So essentially okami is the only mw that Weidman could beat that would impress anyone? I find that hard to believe because the last guy that did just got hated on more than before. There will be unending excuses for weidman no matter who he beats.

Well munoz did win the second round against okami so he wasn't totally ineffective.

Sonnen is at lhw, we still haven't seen belfort beat a legit mw of today, Franklin is still out and you reallythink bbeating Franklin would erase any doubts.

So essentially okami is the only mw that Weidman could beat that would impress anyone? I find that hard to believe because the last guy that did just got hated on more than before. There will be unending excuses for weidman no matter who he beats.

I and I think most Anderson fans are impressed with Weidman so far...just not as impressed as you guys. I think beating Okami, Bisping, Vitor, Rockhold, Lombard, or Jacare would probably make him a legit top tier fighter. If he beat someone like Boetsch, Costa, Stann, or Belcher that would also be impressive but I think there would still be some doubt about whether he truly is a top tier fighter or not.

I and I think most Anderson fans are impressed with Weidman so far...just not as impressed as you guys. I think beating Okami, Bisping, Vitor, Rockhold, Lombard, or Jacare would probably make him a legit top tier fighter. If he beat someone like Boetsch, Costa, Stann, or Belcher that would also be impressive but I think there would still be some doubt about whether he truly is a top tier fighter or not.

Munoz and Maia have just as impressive a record as any of those guys save okami. None of those are any more proven than Weidman or munoz. If you sub any of them in the munoz or Maia fight the excuses are just as loud and Munoz or Maia are on that list.

I wouldn't say it's all hype or hope. MW is just a muddle at the moment, and giving Weidman a title shot is about as good as anyone else.

Munoz and Maia have just as impressive a record as any of those guys save okami. None of those are any more proven than Weidman or munoz. If you sub any of them in the munoz or Maia fight the excuses are just as loud and Munoz or Maia are on that list.

Well you have to keep in mind that its not simply that Anderson fans don't want Weidman to get a title shot. Thats not a big deal. What has turned this thing into the phenomenon that it has become is Weidman's suggestion and then his fans(as haters, old sonnen fans) insistence that Anderson is actually scared and ducking him. And in that since you are right, Weidman could have ran through all of those guys and we would still laugh at the notion that Anderson is actually scared of him.

I do however think a win in 2013 over Bisping, Okami, Vitor, Rockhold, Lombard, or Jacare solidifies him as a top tier fighter. I would still laugh if you told me Anderson was scared of him but I wouldn't be so dismissive of Weidman getting a title shot.

Well you have to keep in mind that its not simply that Anderson fans don't want Weidman to get a title shot. Thats not a big deal. What has turned this thing into the phenomenon that it has become is Weidman's suggestion and then his fans(as haters, old sonnen fans) insistence that Anderson is actually scared and ducking him. And in that since you are right, Weidman could have ran through all of those guys and we would still laugh at the notion that Anderson is actually scared of him.

I do however think a win in 2013 over Bisping, Okami, Vitor, Rockhold, Lombard, or Jacare solidifies him as a top tier fighter. I would still laugh if you told me Anderson was scared of him but I wouldn't be so dismissive of Weidman getting a title shot.

It's fairly obvious silva doesn't want to fight him. I think that is clear

Point accepted, my bad. Its just the guy is such an incredible troll and I wouldn't think any real mma fan who is being honest would think Anderson's fans are scared of Chris Weidman. I thought you would see through that sea of ridiculousness. But regardless I see your point.

To whomever said they wouldn't miss CBK... this is why I would. We may disagree on everything ever... but we accept points when they're made :)

b) Well I think this is a simple case of having different definitions of A level and B level. I consider guys like Overeem, Werdum, Cormier, Rashad, Gus, Machida, Hendo, Sonnen, ect to be A level. Would you argue Mark Munoz is on these guys level? Has he beaten anywhere near the number of quality fighters as these guys have? Has he put on multiple great performances? No, no, and no.

I considered Munoz a top contender for the MW belt until he was destroyed, as he was 7-1 coming into the fight. Also, note that only one of your guys on that list is in the MW division. None of whom can vie for the title. Thus you are stuck in a quandary: You can't have no middleweight, because by the necessity for tiering, B-level would be A-level anyway. I would assert Munoz, Maia, and Weidman are A-level, and Weidman came out on top. Thus, Weidman would be A-level.

c) Title shots are about more than just win streaks. And Munoz is quite possibly the worst #3 fighter in the history of #3's. Weidman needs to do more than beat Mark Munoz no matter where he was ranked.

It is peculiar you'll now just ignore rankings as a way to note who has quality. Munoz was 7-1. I agree a win-streak is not everything, but I only care about two of Weidman's wins. He best #3. You can say what you will about Munoz in hindsight, but this is a disingenuous argument. It does not deter form the fact that he was #3, and was a solid #3. If that was not enough, Weidman best #5 on short notice the fight before. Again, you can talk down regarding Maia's caliber, but it will not do you any good in asserting Bisping deserves it more when we're looking at a Stann victory and a Sonnen loss.

d) Bisping is a more proven, established, and legit fighter. If MMA ended tomorrow Bisping would be a much more valuable name to have on your resume than Chris Weidman. I want Anderson to fight the most established fighters and right now at MW that is Michael Bisping.

Bisping has lesser wins, and has not beat a top-ten fighter, unless we're going to count Stann (way down the list). Weidman's resume holds #3 and #5. What's Bisping got? If you're going to devalue Munoz, then you have to devalue Akiyama, Stann, and maintain the losses to Sonnen and Hendo. There is no valid argument for you here that cannot be topped by what Weidman has done.

e) And you want to question my basic mma knowledge? Go watch round 1 of the Sakara fight. Then close your eyes and imagine that is Anderson standing up against the cage effortlessly stuffing the supposed wrestling and grappling phenoms takedowns. Do you think this fight makes it to round 2? There is no reason to think he would do any better than Yushin Okami or Stephen Bonnar.
There is no doubt Okami laid an egg, but that has no bearing on what Wiedman can do with his wrestling. We all saw what Sonnen did in the first fight, and did in the first round of the second fight. Short of some shorts and fence grabbing, he was on his way to still losing, but still taking Anderson down. Sonnen has no finish. Weidman does. It's more interesting.

And Anderson got a shot in the UFC after picking up 5 top10 wins, 2 belts, 3 title defenses, and being ranked for several years. Again, UFC title shots are about more than your very last fight.

That's a fine point, but I know his next fight should be Weidman, and I think you do too. For whatever reason, I don't think that you want Anderson to fight Weidman. I can guarantee you that a win over Weidman is more impressive to most than a win over Bisping.

exactly, sodacker. i think silva nut huggers are the only ones claiming that the word "scared" is being used. silva and his camp strongly prefer not to fight weidman if they can avoid it. what their true motives are: we can only speculate.

this is how i know that you have no objectivity: belfort is pretty irrelevant at mw. he hasn't beaten anyone at MW in the ufc other than sexyama. sonnen was a damn good mw, however, he's also the same guy that got rag-dolled by one demian maia. do you smell what i'm stepping in? okami is another good mw, but even when he wins people bad mouth him. i can't imagine anyone getting that much credit for beating him (boetsch sure as hell didn't). franklin left the division back in '08.

It's fairly obvious you want to keep bringing it up to troll people. I think people like yourself understand it's nothing more than business but decide to take the immature route on discussing it to just get your jollies off.

Back