Chris Weidman Hope or hype

seriously

Cmon Tico, you're smarter than to jump in with the biggest Anderson troll on the site. Anderson fans are laughing at the idea that we are scared for Anderson to fight Weidman. Theres more established and proven opponents out there for Silva to face.

Weidman is the real deal...but he has nothing that Anderson Silva hasn't seen already.

I have Anderson Silva winning late TKO.

Weidman is the real deal...but he has nothing that Anderson Silva hasn't seen already.

I have Anderson Silva winning late TKO.

Haven't you heard, Weidman is a living legend. When Obama has a tough decision to make he stops and thinks "What would Chris Weidman do?"

Haven't you heard, Weidman is a living legend. When Obama has a tough decision to make he stops and thinks "What would Chris Weidman do?"

I wonder where this mentality comes from...

I have all the respect for Weidman...his KO/TKO counter elbow on Munoz was a thing a of beauty...but harldy indicative of someone who is going "destroy" Anderson Silva."

This is why I say MMA fans are the very worst of any sport...

their hatred for a fighter blinds them to any reason...

these guys hate Anderson Silva so much, they are desperately looking for anyone to dethrone him and placing all their hopes and emotions in that opponent...

We saw it with Nate THe great, Demian Maia, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort, etc..

I have seen many of Weidmans fights...I'm sorry I just don't see him beating Anderson Silva.

what is this, September '12? here's your answer.

a) he looks GREAT and has had multiple fights on short notice and looked great on most, very good against Maia. but...
b) he's only beaten Maia and a guy who beat Maia (Munoz). not exactly "proven" yet. however...
c) he's as proven as anyone else at 185 (e.g. Bisping has no top 10 wins either, cept Stann)...OTOH
d) who cares if he did or didn't get a title shot, he's been hurt. SO....

give him 1 more fight against a decent opponent, let him win, let him fight for the belt. why not?

that is the most reasonable opinion you'll find, smack dab in between (and be sure to say this in your best 11 year old girl drama queen voices) "OMFG Silva is sooooo ducking him!" and "OMFG he's soooooo overrated!"

I don't think he looked great or even good against Maia. Maia just looked terrible in that fight. Weidman looked less terrible.

Weidman DID look great against Munoz though. I still believe Weidman needs one more win to get a title shot (and for the record, I predict if he gets it - Silva will school Weidman).

Who has he beat to warrant a fight with the goat

He destroyed Munoz, who was (1) at the time, a consensus number 3 fighter; (2) was slated to fight Sonnen in a No. 1 contender bout before his injury; and (3) was 7-1 at MW with his only loss a split decision to Okami.

Before that, on 11-days notice, Weidman took 3 rounds from Maia, who was consensus No. 6 at the time and was 9-3 at MW in the UFC with his only losses coming against Silva, the aforementioned Munoz, and Marquardt in a Cain-JDS I type finish.

I personally feel his win over Munoz was very big in terms of his ranking at the time, and I think weidman will pose a serious threat to Anderson "IF" he ever gets the shot. But I think he needs another big win first..

So is he hype or hope?

Hope! His punch-switch to-elbow strike that rocked Munoz just oozed talent. That along with great wrestling will pose a nice threat to Anderson.

I have all the respect for Weidman...his KO/TKO counter elbow on Munoz was a thing a of beauty...but harldy indicative of someone who is going "destroy" Anderson Silva."

these guys hate Anderson Silva so much, they are desperately looking for anyone to dethrone him and placing all their hopes and emotions in that opponent...

I have seen many of Weidmans fights...I'm sorry I just don't see him beating Anderson Silva.

And the worst part about it is I do think Chris Weidman is a good fighter with a lot of potential. But yet these guys go so far overboard it puts me in a position to have to pick apart Weidman's record and performances.

And thats unfair to him. He's only had 9 fights and still hasn't faced an A level fighter. The best fighter he's faced has been Demian Maia(Maia beat Munoz imo) who is a solid B+. But even then Maia was sick and put on a pretty C level performance. Munoz on a good day can be a B level fighter but he was injured also.

So really he's faced a couple of B level fighters who were injured and sick and people are comparing him to the greatest thats ever fought to the point of saying Anderson is scared of him?

Hate makes you do crazy things sometimes.

When is the last time that Silva dominated anyone in the fashion that Weidman dominated Munoz?

You ask where the mentality comes from and the answer is solely in your own minds. This is simply a case of weidman deserving the shot and Anderson instead holding the belt hostage. I don't think that weidman would win but he doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot. And he would get the shot if it wasn't for the actions of the champ to refuse to defend the belt. Hendricks obviously deserves the ww title but gsp is defending it against someone else the UFC wants him to fight. He isn't sitting out and waiting for a different contender.

Weidman deserves the shot plain and simple.

And who did Munoz beat? CB dollaway ? Who is Mark Munoz...
Weidman's best footage around are still his adcc fights, he didn't prove anything on mma.
Match Weidman with Lombard, Jacare, Bisping, Sonnen, and then i'll start care'ing.

CB Dolloway beat Mayhem far more handily than Bisping did. Hell, Mayhem took the first round from Bisping.

Is Bisping the No. 1 contender on the basis of that amazing performance?

And the worst part about it is I do think Chris Weidman is a good fighter with a lot of potential. But yet these guys go so far overboard it puts me in a position to have to pick apart Weidman's record and performances.

And thats unfair to him. He's only had 9 fights and still hasn't faced an A level fighter. The best fighter he's faced has been Demian Maia(Maia beat Munoz imo) who is a solid B+. But even then Maia was sick and put on a pretty C level performance. Munoz on a good day can be a B level fighter but he was injured also.

So really he's faced a couple of B level fighters who were injured and sick and people are comparing him to the greatest thats ever fought to the point of saying Anderson is scared of him?

I would love to see your list of A level fighter.

Weidman is a good fighter...and like you said, the guy has potential...

but seriously...where the fu*k do people get, "He will defeat ANderson Silva" from??

You can nit pick anyone's resume...and yeah if I wanted to I can pick apart Weidman and undermine his accomplishments as a fighter...

one fighter you can't do that with is Anderson Silva...his resume speaks for itself...and we have only seen him in trouble once...out of all of his fights in the UFC he has been in dire straights, once...

this reminds me of when the dumb ass GSP haters were saying "Jake Shields will expose GSP..."

LMao?!?!? What !?!??!!??!

But then again, Thank god for idiot MMA fans...they inflate the odds...(I got Bendo at -140 over nate )People here actually think Melendez is going to "wreck" Bendo. LOL

You ask where the mentality comes from and the answer is solely in your own minds. This is simply a case of weidman deserving the shot and Anderson instead holding the belt hostage. I don't think that weidman would win but he doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a shot. And he would get the shot if it wasn't for the actions of the champ to refuse to defend the belt. Hendricks obviously deserves the ww title but gsp is defending it against someone else the UFC wants him to fight. He isn't sitting out and waiting for a different contender.

Weidman deserves the shot plain and simple.

Personally, I think Bisping deserves it more...but yeah...why not...Anderson is running out of opponents.

Last summer, before the Lombad-Boetsch fight, everyone was dismissing Weidman on the premise that he is unmarketable.

Now everyone is playing the great white hype card.

What is it? Is he unmarketable? Or is he the great white hype? Or does the storyline evolve to protect Silva from ending up on his back against a fighter who can finish?

I'd love to see Weidman put into a number one contender fight.

Weidman is a good fighter...and like you said, the guy has potential...

but seriously...where the fu*k do people get, "He will defeat ANderson Silva" from??

You can nit pick anyone's resume...and yeah if I wanted to I can pick apart Weidman and undermine his accomplishments as a fighter...

one fighter you can't do that with is Anderson Silva...his resume speaks for itself...and we have only seen him in trouble once...out of all of his fights in the UFC he has been in dire straights, once...

this reminds me of when the dumb ass GSP haters were saying "Jake Shields will expose GSP..."

LMao?!?!? What !?!??!!??!

But then again, Thank god for idiot MMA fans...they inflate the odds...(I got Bendo at -140 over nate )People here actually think Melendez is going to "wreck" Bendo. LOL

Weidman hasn't lost a single round in the UFC. Over the past few years, Silva has lost more complete rounds than he has won.

He destroyed Munoz, who was (1) at the time, a consensus number 3 fighter; (2) was slated to fight Sonnen in a No. 1 contender bout before his injury; and (3) was 7-1 at MW with his only loss a split decision to Okami.

Before that, on 11-days notice, Weidman took 3 rounds from Maia, who was consensus No. 6 at the time and was 9-3 at MW in the UFC with his only losses coming against Silva, the aforementioned Munoz, and Marquardt in a Cain-JDS I type finish.

Watch Munoz fights, he received great criticism on his Leben fight and arguably should've lost the UD to Maia. Many people never thought he deserved such ranking before the Weidman fight took place.

11-day notice Weidman fought a pretty damn sick Maia. The fight is really not one you can analyze for either fighter since they both had a poor showing. That's not to take away from Weidman's win, but you have to put it in prospective if you're gonna analyze why people shouldn't think Weidman is undoubtedly next up without having him fight more with those 2 fights.

It's not hate, it's a legit analysis & reason as to why a 10th fight (esp with a top striker imo) would benefit everyone greatly.

(a) That attempt to note "you're smarter than that" as if my siding with someone means I am as lacking in logical talent as they are in all facets, due to my agreeing with a single stance, is ridiculous. I agree with Hitler than german shepards are awesome dogs. That doesn't mean I hate jews.

(b) If you believe Maia and Munoz aren't A-level, I have to questions what you know about MMA on a basic level.

(c) He beat #5 and #3 consecutively. Show me a fighter with a better two-fight scenario who does not have a lost in their last 2-3 fights?

(d) Those who think Bisping should have a shot are wholly lost in the "Let's keep Anderson's record shiny". He has zero to offer Anderson.

(e) Weidman is a package that Anderson hasn't had to deal with since Lutter. A quality submission-capable fighter who can put Anderson on his back. Add to that he can strike, and his as large as Anderson, and you've got an actual interesting set up. Then when you add to that #5 and #3 being beaten consecutively.... I'm not sure what is left to dicuss.

Ando got a shot after a fight in the UFC, beating a lower top-10. Lesnar got a shot after beating Herring after coming off a Mir loss. Let's stop throwing around the "he doesn't deserve it" bulls#it. Furthermore, let's stop with the "We don't know enough, thus he shouldn't get a shot. Wouldn't Anderson not having as much material give him a better shot? So... not sure what the problem is there, unless you find that unfair.

Back