Chris Weidman, an example for Ronda Rousey?

fedemma

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Chris Weidman today said in "The MMA Hour" (http://www.mmafighting.com/mma-hour):

"I know for a fact, I’m not leaving this sport without fighting’ Jon Jones"

Ronda Rousey, in the other hand, is just complaining about this and that before fighting Cris Cyborg.

Chris Weidman is old school here, wanting to fight the best pound for pound fighter, probably the best ever, knowing Jones would have a size advantage, hell Jones is even in discussion of moving to heavyweight in the future!

What do you think of this difference of attitudes?

BJ Penn being a small lightweight went to fight George St-Pierre who at the moment was a big welterweight.

Vitor Belfort never had a problem, neither Wanderlei, Couture, Royce, or some pride Japanese fighters. Some old school kind of thinking. Like, i'm the best, let me try against the best, no matter what.

weidman-rousey.jpg

I think Ronda naturally wants the fight but the UFC propaganda has gotten in her head. They don't want her to take challenges because she's a can crushing cash cow.

Ronda "cccc" Rousey

Women aren't the warriors of combat that some men are, end of story. That said, Ronda doesn't need to prove anything and she is the best female fighter on the planet. Let the butt hurt commence.

Great point OP. Seems obvious that Ronda doesn't have a true champions mentality. She knows that Cyborg would expose her.

Chris want to fight the 205 pounds UFC champion that a lot of people think is the GOAT , why should Ronda look to fight a fighter from another organization in a weight class that doesn

Ronda talks all the time about how she thinks she'll fight Cyborg.

But Cyborg is a proven cheat, and Weidman doesn't like cheats anymore than Ronda does.

Bottom line with Cyborg, though, is that she's a nobody. Sherdoggers don't get this, because we all know who she is. But Ronda's fight purses are literally 50 times Cyborg's.

It's ridiculous to think that Ronda should be jumping up and down to fight an opponent no one gives a rat's ass about.

She's champ. If Cyborg wants to fight, she needs to make weight.

Imagine if Vitor couldn't make 185. Claimed he could only make Franklinweight. Vitor, a known steroid user. Would you believe Weidman should have had to move up & fight him? No!

For some reason there's a double standard with women's MMA. Probably due to the lack of star power. Cyborg is a cheater & fighting scrubs. Cyborg should have to make weight to fight the champ, if you think otherwise you're just promoting cheating.

Completely different situations TS. I'm not a Rousey fan, but facts are facts: it doesn't make sense for her to move up to fight Cyborg.

In all the examples you cite, the smaller fighter moved up (or wants to) to fight the bigger, more famous fighter in an established weightclass in the UFC or comparable outside organization. Huge upside, no downside and massive payday in it for them either way.

Cyborg is crushing even bigger cans than Ronda in INVICTA, which no one has ever heard of or follows. There is absolutely no upside to Ronda moving up for Cyborg.

I consider Weidman a kind of confusing and hard to pin down character. I have conflicting feelings about him as an MMA fan. No romo.

However, one of the things I absolutely love about him without question, is this shit right here. He has that BJ Penn legit warrior spirit, where he really does not give a fuck about how big the guy is. A true martial artist approach. He wants to test himself against the very best. He keeps always bringing up Jon Jones over the years, and he's even in a lower weight class... that's about as badass as it gets. Muito Hespect.

She's champ. If Cyborg wants to fight, she needs to make weight.

Imagine if Vitor couldn't make 185. Claimed he could only make Franklinweight. Vitor, a known steroid user. Would you believe Weidman should have had to move up & fight him? No!

For some reason there's a double standard with women's MMA. Probably due to the lack of star power. Cyborg is a cheater & fighting scrubs. Cyborg should have to make weight to fight the champ, if you think otherwise you're just promoting cheating.

Except Cyborg isnt interested in the 135 belt. She just wants to fight the best, like a real fighter.

NO.

Cyborg doesn't fight in the UFC and doesn't have a UFC contract.
Jones was the LWH champ and his contract with the UFC is still alive.

Jones has never tested positive for roids.
Cyborg has tested positive for Stanozolol.

Ronda has not shied away from fighting anyone in the UFC.
That's cool that Chris wants to test himself against Jones (which probably won't go well for him). I don't see Chris doing well against Cormier, Gus, and a couple other LHW as well. He's the guy who chose to cut a shit ton of weight. He's a great fighter, but he chose not to be a LHW.

The situation is entirely different and not worth comparison.
Also, it's easy to say that you "want" to fight someone. Dominic Cruz once said he'd fight Cain Velasquez if they paid him enough.
Any of us can say we want to fight Jones. None of us will.

Completely different situations TS. I'm not a Rousey fan, but facts are facts: it doesn't make sense for her to move up to fight Cyborg.

In all the examples you cite, the smaller fighter moved up (or wants to) to fight the bigger, more famous fighter in an established weightclass in the UFC or comparable outside organization. Huge upside, no downside and massive payday in it for them either way.

Cyborg is crushing even bigger cans than Ronda in INVICTA, which no one has ever heard of or follows. There is absolutely no upside to Ronda moving up for Cyborg.

You're delusional if you think nobody cares about Cyborg. Ronda and Cyborg are the greatest wmma fighters of all time, and there is no close second.

Ronda talks all the time about how she thinks she'll fight Cyborg.

But Cyborg is a proven cheat, and Weidman doesn't like cheats anymore than Ronda does.

Bottom line with Cyborg, though, is that she's a nobody. Sherdoggers don't get this, because we all know who she is. But Ronda's fight purses are literally 50 times Cyborg's.

It's ridiculous to think that Ronda should be jumping up and down to fight an opponent no one gives a rat's ass about.

Bravo sir, good point

But she's not willing to make weight, like a real cheater.

I don't care what weight they are. If weight is holding up the fight, I blame the fighter asking the other to make weight.

You're delusional if you think nobody cares about Cyborg. Ronda and Cyborg are the greatest wmma fighters of all time, and there is no close second.

Greatest /= famous /= payday.

We're in agreement that Cyborg is the most competitive 145 lbs female fighter bar none. Unfortunately for her, no one outside of Sherdog knows or gives a fuck.

NO.

Cyborg doesn't fight in the UFC and doesn't have a UFC contract.
Jones was the LWH champ and his contract with the UFC is still alive.

Jones has never tested positive for roids.
Cyborg has tested positive for Stanozolol.

Ronda has not shied away from fighting anyone in the UFC.
That's cool that Chris wants to test himself against Jones (which probably won't go well for him). I don't see Chris doing well against Cormier, Gus, and a couple other LHW as well. He's the guy who chose to cut a shit ton of weight. He's a great fighter, but he chose not to be a LHW.

The situation is entirely different and not worth comparison.
Also, it's easy to say that you "want" to fight someone. Dominic Cruz once said he'd fight Cain Velasquez if they paid him enough.
Any of us can say we want to fight Jones. None of us will.

Bold paragraph sounds like it came from someone who's watched MMA for all of 2 weeks

I thought you'd have learned by now

Oh as for the thread topic btw, I think the two situations have nothing to do with each other. I don't think Ronda cares about the weight, I think it's a matter of respect for her. If Cyborg carried herself the way Gina Carano or somebody like that did, if there was a mutual respect between Ronda and Cyborg as competitors, then I think Ronda would be far more likely to accommodate her and meet her at a catchweight. As it is, Ronda hates Cyborg and holds the steroid issue and the perceived disrespect against her. Ronda holds all the cards, makes all the money, and holds the most prestigious belt in WMMA. She doesn't feel like she needs to bend over backwards for someone she doesn't respect/does not respect her. Just the way it is. My opinion, Cyborg should cut 10 more pounds and make a million dollars, but hey what do I know.

I love how you people justify her making her only legit challenge jump through hoops to fight her.

Shes supposed to be able to beat Mayweather, Cain, etc but cant cut 5lbs less to have a catch weight bout against the only girl people want her to fight.

I don't get it. She has every little reason why Cyborg doesn't deserve to fight her but the likes of Alexis Davis, Bethe Correira, and Miesha Tate do?

I just don't get it

Back