Chris Weidman’s first opponent at Light Heavyweight

I'd like to see him against a big, physical lhw.. he's a big guy at mw and i'd like to see if he can outskill a bigger guy..

Walker is not a bad choice..

Mma fans are the worst... I see it time and time again. I saw a little bit with cowboy after his fight with Ferguson. I cant bash on fighters, unless its outta the cage bullshit lol then it's fair game
I hear ya.

It bothers me in this case because Smith is a genuinely nice, humble, hard working individual.

If a guy is a complete asshole and fans want to trash him, game on. But to see fans and even fighters shot in a guy who just kept getting better until he made it to the top is obnoxious.
I think “murdered” is slightly hyperbolic. All due respect to Smith, but I’d call his submission a “come from behind” win before a “murder”.

To take a piece of Uriah Faber's statement "this (a UFC fight) is a simulated death match, and you haven't simulated any deaths"

Gus was for all practical purposes choked to what would have been his death, if not for the ref intervening and Smith releasing the choke.

If you disagree with my choice of wording that is ok, but my point is that fans, including many sherdoggers like to pick and choose and have it both ways.

According to some Gus is one of the greatest LHWs ever and fans will say he beat Jones and fought an even fight with D.C. when it suits their narrative... but when Smith beats him Smith doesn't get credit for beating the Gus everyone puts on that selective pedestal.

Smith has more losses than him and you’re saying that Weidman is done after just 4 losses
Look at the bigger picture.

Smith had quite a few losses early on, he probably should have stayed amateur a bit longer. He started 5-6 but has done very well and won somewhere around 14 of his last 16 or 17 while fighting at the highest level of competition he has faced in his career. He is clearly on an upward trajectory and would seem to be hitting his peak.

Weidman started out undefeated for his first 17 or so fights but has lost 4 of his last 5 (iirc) in devastating fashion.

Your post is a perfect example of why MMATH doesn't work. There is obviously more to the big picture than who has more losses.

You’re brain dead if you think Gus was the same vs Smith as he was for Jon 5 years ago, the man literally was ready to retire so that should already let you know he wasn’t in the mental spot you need to be in to succeed in mma.

The man got outgrappled by VOLKAN. Do you know how pathetic that is?

You are claiming Smith got outgrappled in a fight he won by rear naked choke?

That is ... wow...

It could be Anthony Smith, just to build up a new contender in there name of Chris Weidman. However, it would be a low risk, high reward fight because Smith ain't that good but he's built a name after beating Gus.
Smith would be the favorite in that fight.

Chris is no spring chicken, he's 35 and needs to get into the action right away with a top 10 a guy followed by a top 5 guy then a title shot if he wins both.

You are claiming Smith got outgrappled in a fight he won by rear naked choke?

That is ... wow...

yes, did you watch the fight? Volkan was able to outgrapple him for a large majority of the fight during the grappling exchanges.

"WOW"

I don't see it ending well for him. If you're getting slept 4 out of 5 fights at 185 your chin is not gonna hold up better at 205, especially when most of the contenders right now are explosive (Walker, Rakic, Reyes, Cannonier, etc)

The LHW division has five good, young prospects and two new intriguing names in the division. These are the matchups I'd like to see involving these guys.

Johnny Walker v. Corey Anderson
Jim Crute v. Cirkunov
Rakic v. Glover
That Polish flabby guy v. Latifi
Reyes v. Anthony Smith
Rockhold (if he beats Jan) v. Santos (after he loses to Jones)
Weidman v. Volkan

Then Shogun v. Paul Craig

Former UFC Middleweight Champion Chris Weidman announced at UFC 238 that he has decided to move up 20 pounds to Light Heavyweight. He said he wants a high risk, high reward opponent in his debut. Who do you think this first opponent should be???

Cejudo will win all belts up to Middleweight and will be ready for Weidman by february next year.

How about Pat Cummins? Both are wrestlers and would hardly be a cakewalk for The Chris.
Or maybe someone like an OSP, Ghokan Saki or Sam Alvey.
Let him get an easier fight to get some confidence back.

Stop talking shit about him. CTE is a serious thing and Weidman isn’t as severely damaged as someone with actual CTE like Gary Goodridge. He’s been knocked out like 20 times, maybe more where as Weidman only 4 times
im not talking shit. its just the truth . brutally ko'd 4 times like that produces cte.

Back