Chris Lytle appreciation thread

yup,-- and, really- he should have beaten Serra 1 (TUF finale) and the *u--hhh* stoppage to Koscheck. Lytle deserved a title shot-- i heard he wanted to fill in for an event recently. would love to see him un-retire for a short-notice fight that wouldn't tarnish his legacy whilst giving us another great performance

I remember hearing about that. I think he wanted to fight one of the Diaz brothers

Always liked Lytle, put on some great fights.

Plus he did this to that intolerable douchebag Tiki Ghosn:

insta7.gif

i always have to chuckle at the tiki hate. theres tons of that to go around too.

Great action fighter. Shame we never got to see him fight Condit. Then that smug bastard Ebersole came in and ruined his streak :(

Lytle's the man.

Was the OG firefighter in the UFC

-009spkrav24.184588.jpg20110823.jpg

Legend.

Having 70+ MMA fights, around 15 pro Boxing matches, and a few pro submission grappling events (including a few weeks ago against Jake Shields), and never being finished... in ANY of them... he is one of the coolest figures in combat sports history imo. And his style was awesome to watch.

A number of WW are in the news and at the forefront of mma consciousness (for good reasons and bad--tyron not wanting to fight wonderboy as he is hoping to get paid, nick diaz coming back fron yet another suspension stemming from flagrant rule violation, and so many others).

These recent events got me to thinking of WW from yesterday and yesteryear, and one of the WW and fighters generally that I always supported and respect was Chris Lytle.

He wasnt flashy, he wasnt showy, and he wasnt talky, he was just a really, really tough guy that fought anyone they asked him to and reveled in competition.

Everytime I think of Chris, I cant help but imagine him walk in to the gym with a steel lunch box and a big thermos like so many people walk to the jobsite.

His mentality and work ethic earned him the respect of many of his peers, and many fans, and he was never submitted or koed.

He was a real life hero (a firefighter in Indy), and a helluva gritty guy.

In today's world of social media and WW and their "brands" and their lack of respect for rules, I think it is an approrpiate time to tip our hats to Chris Lytle.

Cheers Chris!!
was always fun to watch Lytle fight, although I still get butthurt about the fight with Paul Taylor years ago...... Lytle got a gift that night

Id highly recommend anyone with Fight Pass to watch that fight, or any of Paul Taylors fights actually. They are all great fun

To bad the fight with Condit never materialized. Was supposed to happen twice.

I loved his approach - "i'm sick of losing decisions, I'm going harder for the finisher" - the rest is history.

Met him in person. Great guy. His voice cracks me up though, very soft spoken.

was always fun to watch Lytle fight, although I still get butthurt about the fight with Paul Taylor years ago...... Lytle got a gift that night

Id highly recommend anyone with Fight Pass to watch that fight, or any of Paul Taylors fights actually. They are all great fun

i likes paul--respect tough gritty style.

Always wanted him vs Nick Diaz. That would've been a thing of beauty. Hespect.

Always wanted him vs Nick Diaz. That would've been a thing of beauty. Hespect.
It happened. Nick won.
Good scrap (of course)
{<diaz}{<diaz}

In for a rare breed of fighter.
Hard worker, tough as fuck
& fought each fight like his life
was on the line.

War Lytle, great legend.

It happened. Nick won.
Good scrap (of course)
{<diaz}{<diaz}

In for a rare breed of fighter.
Hard worker, tough as fuck
& fought each fight like his life
was on the line.

I mean the rematch around the time when Nick subbed Gomi in Pride. Like 2007/08 would've been awesome. Nick was still hella green in that fight, and Chris was still putting it all together.

what? didnt he fail a piss test for drug use?
He failed ONE non wada appoved lab test and passed numerous others (3?) that were from WADA approved labs.
The drug - marijuana - is not banned out of competition, and a urine test cannot prove when he used, you kind of needt to prove when he used if you are going to ban him for using in a time period. So the test cannot prove he used 'in competition'.
So he passed a majority of tests from approved labs (ie did not use). Failed a test from a shit lab - and mishandled the detail protocol on the test I might add.
He got banned as a disgusting abuse of power from self righteous idiots, for basically being a 'thug'.

I've said it before but it's still true for me. When I first started watching MMA was in the prime years of Tito, Matt and Chuck. They brought me to MMA, but it was fighters like Chris that kept me here. He may have never held a belt in the UFC but he had a career he should be proud of and any fan of MMA should respect.

Cheers to that. Always been a fan of Lytle.

Probably my favourite exit from MMA. Went out on a top with a win over a tough guy in a great fight. He will be remembered fondly.

Back