Chris Leben exposes Bas Rutten in this video kinda makes you lose respect

I remember Bas releasing a statement when he signed on to be Kimbo's coach. He said he was very hesitant to take the position (as he felt Kimbo was just doing MMA for the money) but he sat down with Kimbo and Kimbo assured him he was now dedicated to the sport and would take his training very seriously.

Bas didn't say anything until he resigned because he was Kimbo's coach. The coach can't trash his fighter publicly. He instead tried to motivate Kimbo. Once he realized Kimbo duped him and wasn't taking it seriously, Bas quit, and explained why. A sleazy coach would've just kept collecting his checks and slacked off.

Bas retired from MMA at a young age with injuries. He didn't make shit doing MMA. So yeah he sells shit to make money. So what? Have you tried his products? That Body action system thing he sells has good reviews.

Again, you seem to take Bas at his word about everything. So did Chris Leben and look where that got him? I don't.

As stated in the original OP, I bet Bas got paid while he was helping to fuck over the fighters in the event by making excuse after excuse.

I did a seminar with Bas years ago ('05 or '06 I think). He was funny as hell and kept the whole gym in stitches all day. That being said, I wouldn't trust him with a stick of gum, let alone money. He really comes off as a used car salesman. Even when we were alone talking he still seemed like he was putting on a show or selling snake oil. Everything was forced and he looked around for reactions after every sentence, it seemed. I loved hanging out with the guy but, well, that's about it. He is a legend for his personality much more than for his accomplishments.

I'm a big fan of Chris, even more for how he's endured a tough life and persevered than for his fighting. If Bas was involved in screwing Chris and the other fighters, then it's unforgivable. Hopefully the truth comes out soon.
I could see that. He doesn't come off as genuine. Ive only like his fights

Again, you seem to take Bas at his word about everything. So did Chris Leben and look where that got him? I don't.

As stated in the original OP, I bet Bas got paid while he was helping to fuck over the fighters in the event by making excuse after excuse.

And you seem to assume the worst about Bas every chance you get. I'm not just taking Bas' word for it. He's been in in the industry for around 25 years, working for Pancrase, UFC, Pride, HDNet, IFL... How many people have complained about him ripping them off, or taking advantage of them?

If you want to assume one complaint in 25 years means he's a scam artist then go ahead. But there is little evidence to back your claims up.

lol @ the jab being some kind of recent invention. Boxers have set up their KO's with the jab for like 100 years.
Yes they have. The difference as u stated, was that in mma back then, guys went in trying to ko a guy as fast as possible, not win a decision. It wasn't evolved like boxing was. Boxers always used the jab.. And it's effective for sure in more ways than one. Bas was not saying don't use the jab, he was saying throw it hard to do damage.. Not to gain points.

And you seem to assume the worst about Bas every chance you get. I'm not just taking Bas' word for it. He's been in in the industry for around 25 years, working for Pancrase, UFC, Pride, HDNet, IFL... How many people have complained about him ripping them off, or taking advantage of them?

If you want to assume one complaint in 25 years means he's a scam artist then go ahead. But there is little evidence to back your claims up.
Eh, whether or not Bas is a habitual scam artist isn't the issue.

Whether or not Bas was complicit in the scam, he used his credibility to bring in a bunch of fighters who were used and not paid. If he'd apologized and indicated he was scammed to it would be one thing, but instead Bas was visibly still trying to string fighters along in this situation.

Are we all really shocked that Bas isn't some super great guy or something?

In other news: Bas isn't as funny as he thinks.

I just watched that mini doc series on The Arena YouTube page on Chris Leben. It is nice to see him looking happy. Hope what they filmed is a true reflection on how he is mentally right now.

Eh, whether or not Bas is a habitual scam artist isn't the issue.

Whether or not Bas was complicit in the scam, he used his credibility to bring in a bunch of fighters who were used and not paid. If he'd apologized and indicated he was scammed to it would be one thing, but instead Bas was visibly still trying to string fighters along in this situation.

That's it exactly. I didn't say Bas has a history of scamming people. I said he has a history of bad mouthing people he originally praised.

I think he's always come across as a used-car salesman but there's nothing wrong with hustling to make money. There is a problem when he uses his reputation and credibility to represent people he knows are scumbags. Then makes excuse after excuse trying to cover it up.

This shit happens quite often in the Fight Biz. Yet people still cry about The UFC, especially many of the fighters. They never knew how good they had it. Fighters get screwed like this in Pride, etc. This is nothing new. Only big name fighters have the pull to make huge payment demands up front; and they have the $$$ to hire good lawyers for fishy dealings after the fight. Leben's lawyer is going to eat up a big chunk of his prize money, and that's if he wins in court...he could lose. Current UFC fighters should learn from this and start getting used to kissing Dana's gigantic, white ass.

Yes they have. The difference as u stated, was that in mma back then, guys went in trying to ko a guy as fast as possible, not win a decision. It wasn't evolved like boxing was. Boxers always used the jab.. And it's effective for sure in more ways than one. Bas was not saying don't use the jab, he was saying throw it hard to do damage.. Not to gain points.

In other words, their boxing back then wasnt very good.

I hate to say it but if you trust people and get scammed it's your own fault.

Disgusting, shameful behavior.

{<jordan}

lol at "legit bare knuckle..."

cripple fights coming.

Western Civ continuing its backwards trend.

#TrumpBless

So, in your mind, the difference between a “progressive” culture and one moving backwards is whether the guys punching each other in the face for a living are wearing gloves or not when they do it?

I've worked with Bas a couple weekends a year for the past 10 years. I've never gotten the impression that he's dishonest or would knowingly take advantage of someone. My impression is that he was more than likely unknowingly being used. He's a very trusting optimist that isn't the most forward thinking regarding business. A great "here and now" type of personality but not someone I can see understanding the nuts and bolts of business. Just my $0.02

So, in your mind, the difference between a “progressive” culture and one moving backwards is whether the guys punching each other in the face for a living are wearing gloves or not when they do it?

One of the differences, yes.

Prize fighting has always been a shady business built on taking advantage of the fighters.

Back