Chris Curtis is out with Covid, mr. Vanzant set to fight Jesus!

DoctorTaco

Breadhead
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mmajun...in-vanderford-now-meets-vinicius-de-jesus/amp

UNCASVILLE, Conn. – Austin Vanderford has a new opponent for Thursday’s Bellator 251 card at Mohegan Sun Arena.

Originally expected to fight Chris Curtis, Vanderford (9-0 MMA, 3-0 BMMA) now faces former LFA welterweight title challenger and current CES MMA champion Vinicius De Jesusin a middleweight bout.

A promotion official informed MMA Junkie of the booking Monday but did not give a reason for Curtis’ withdrawal. MyMMANews recently reported Curtis withdrew from the fight due to a positive COVID-19 test.

way tougher fight for Moose but I think he still gets it done.

I would assume Vanderford has a weight advantage given that de Jesus is a natural WW but Vanderford is a rather small MW. So this fight should be Vanderford's coming out party, i'll be rooting for him.

I would assume Vanderford has a weight advantage given that de Jesus is a natural WW but Vanderford is a rather small MW. So this fight should be Vanderford's coming out party, i'll be rooting for him.
de-Jesus is a tough customer. This is going to be an entertaining fight

This will definitely test Vanderford's jiu jitsu because I think De Jesus is a 2nd degree black belt. But I think keeping it on the feet may be an even worse idea becaues Vanderford's striking isn't great. We'll see. I still would have Vanderford as the favorte but stylistically De Jesus has a lot going for him that will make this a tougher matchup, probably even than Curtis.

Anyone have any insight on why he was about to fall over even during the interview with Bisping? I know he used an inhaler before in between rounds but damn, does he have an extra medical issue going on? Especially when he would be getting world class level mma training...
vanderford subbed the boogie man, his jits is solid. His striking has gotten a lot better since his last fight too. I’m hoping that work translates to the cage

DeJesus is good, I thought he won his last fight even though the judges saw it differently.

Curtis was a tough fight anyway though, guy is imo very underrated because he makes himself into a meme with all the retirement stuff but he's a good fighter.

vanderford subbed the boogie man, his jits is solid. His striking has gotten a lot better since his last fight too. I’m hoping that work translates to the cage
Wait...you're from portland...

Do you train at ATT Portland?

I see. Well I hope you're right that there's some improvement. Last two fights have been less convincing on the feet...the fights were very competitive until they went to the ground.
he and I put a lot of work in together after his last fight and he started really settling into his style. I know the guys in Florida he’s with and I’ve got high hopes for his growth

Vanderford looked great and his striking continues to improve. He is not just a grappler anymore, he starting to mix it up and set up his take downs with his strikes. Great job coach @DoctorTaco

Given how thin MW is he should be 2 or 3 fights away from a titleshot, too.

Vanderford looked great and his striking continues to improve. He is not just a grappler anymore, he starting to mix it up and set up his take downs with his strikes. Great job coach @DoctorTaco
thanks man. We put a lot of time into his jab before he left for Florida. It’s cool to see him gel so well with the coaches there now. I expect big things out of the kid

thanks man. We put a lot of time into his jab before he left for Florida. It’s cool to see him gel so well with the coaches there now. I expect big things out of the kid
He looked freaking great, his grappling looks sharp AF and his striking continues to improve. I know Eblen, Rosta, Novenyi (maybe because they are up and coming) get all the attention for their grappling but I actually think Vanderford is on a different level. 2021 should be a great year for him.

GJ, his striking looked good. Thought he got the better of the exchanges on the feet, tagged De Jesus a bit, not particularly hard but solid nonetheless.

He looked freaking great, his grappling looks sharp AF and his striking continues to improve. I know Eblen, Rosta, Novenyi (maybe because they are up and coming) get all the attention for their grappling but I actually think Vanderford is on a different level. 2021 should be a great year for him.
I think so too. 10-0 is a huge milestone, especially against the kind of competition he’s faced. I like what he had to say in his post fight interview when asked about a title shot. The guy wants to do it the right way and when he gets his shot there won’t be any doubt he earned it.
GJ, his striking looked good. Thought he got the better of the exchanges on the feet, tagged De Jesus a bit, not particularly hard but solid nonetheless.
hes a quick learner, maybe the quickest study I have ever worked with. I know it’s a cliche but when I say no one works harder I literally mean in 15 years of combat sports I’ve never seen another human being work harder

Back