Chris Byrd to fight at 175 pounds with new promoter??

MeBig

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
From Fightnews:

Banner Promotions' president Art Pelullo has signed former IBF and WBO heavyweight world champion Chris Byrd (40-4-1, 21 KOs) to a promotional contract. Art said today, "I'm very pleased to announce this major signing. I've been a fan and friend of Chris' for a long time, and I'm looking forward very much to working with him. "I think it's going to surprise a lot of people, but Chris - the former two-time heavyweight champ - is going to be fighting at 175 pounds. I think he's going to make some great fights in the division, and I think he's going to win the world championship. "We're going to take the first step towards that goal on May 16 when Chris fights on ESPN's 'Friday Night Fights' at the Cox Pavillion in Las Vegas, in the PH ring sponsored by Planet Hollywood." The 37-year-old Byrd proclaimed he will be dominant at 175.
Thursday, April 10 2008

wtf?

I don't think he's going to be much of a force even @ 175. Speed maybe there, but I think we're in for some more 10-12 rd decisions.

Can I get your autograph?

I laughed.

Byrd is spent imo, I wouldn't mind seeing him in the ring a couple more times but put him in there with anyone top 5 (regardless of weight division) and he's the underdog.

How did this guy hang with the heavies? lol.

What did he weigh as a heavyweight. He must have been right around the Heavyweight minimum.

From Fightnews:

wtf?

Chris can make many boxers look bad. He is better than most people realize. I'm not sure 175 is the right weight-class. I would have thought cruiser (200#), but the bigger fights will be at 175 so he will go down. How hard will it be for him to make 175 is the real question.

BTW - MeBig, what is your real name?

Chris can make many boxers look bad. He is better than most people realize. I'm not sure 175 is the right weight-class. I would have thought cruiser (200#), but the bigger fights will be at 175 so he will go down. How hard will it be for him to make 175 is the real question.

He made Tua look really bad.

I remember in the build up befor the fight they were interviewing Byrd and Tua together on the same set. Tua was decked out in camouflage and was talking pretty confidently about his power and his future (his future under the assumptions that he beats Byrd) and Byrd just sat there, agreeing with what Tua was saying. I was thinking, "you're already beat"... to Byrd.

Fight happens and he just outclassed Tua.

Me Big boxed one of my favorite prospects Johnathon Banks.

Another tall cruiser that could move to heavyweight. Survived an early scare against Eliseo Castillo.

You guys are just jealous that I won't give you my Hancock , John.

Hancock without the Han.

Damn, at his age he is going to get down to 175? I know he wasn't a pretty small HW, but that's about 30-40 pounds.

I sparred Chris Byrd at his dad's gym in flint around 2004 and he seemed fucking untouchable to me, but yeah that was me, he's obviously been touched a few times since then.

You guys have to remember his amateur career pretty much took place at jr. middle - middleweight. He constantly said he had to bulk up to make the heavyweight division.

he will lose his speed advantage going down to 175. And he won't have a power advantage either. So he'll have to fight differently there. Don't know how that will work. He will have to rely on his technique and intelligence. I don't think he can hang with hop, cal or even rjj. But you never know until you see...

Chris Byrd had to TRY to weigh over 200# and that was usually while wearing clothes. Getting under 200# would be easy. Getting under 175 is possible and according to his brothers - 168 isn't too far of a reach. Remember Chris was an Olympic Silver Medalist in 1992 at 165#. He is talented.

MeBig - Send me a private message with your name. My son boxes tonight in the GG state finals. He is looking for his 3rd title in a row.

I dont think Byrd is "spent". I think he was tired of being ignored by the media and insulted by Larry Merchant so he changed his style to be more exciting which was just stupid. He has power though. He was just a bit out of his powers range. I think he's going to be knocking em dead at 175. He'll be champ there I'm sure.

MeBig - Send me a private message with your name. My son boxes tonight in the GG state finals. He is looking for his 3rd title in a row.

Who's your son? My name??

Back