Chris Byrd light sparring w/ IFL's Jay Hieron (1st footage of chris at 175)

AstrelONE

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
XCMMA On Demand

thoughts? i know it's hard to gauge his abilities at 175 cus of the low intensity they were sparring at, but he seems good to go.

however, those legs are looking awfully skinny.

I don't know man... I know it's sparring, but from time to time, Hieron is working Byrd. WTF? And he is throwing weak arm punches. Now I am debating if he is going to have any power at light heavy. But then again, it's sparring... Who knows.

I always loved watching Byrd when I was a kid. The man can slip anything. When the champ ducks you, not because he thinks he could lose, but because win lose or draw, he'll look silly. That's a fighter to watch. A shame he spent so much time at HWT.

And I don't know about the music choice. I have a feeling it's Byrd's music they were bumping to.

But then again, it's sparring... Who knows.

thats really what matters.

if it didn't paul spadafora would be p4p best in the world. ya know?

watching chris...he put his back on the ropes in the first minute and just sat there. they're both just getting in some work.

But then again, it's sparring... Who knows.

thats really what matters.

if it didn't paul spadafora would be p4p best in the world. ya know?

watching chris...he put his back on the ropes in the first minute and just sat there. they're both just getting in some work.

also i'm very rarely a fan of fighters dropping divisions.

Trivia question: What current well known LHW beat Chris Byrd in the Amateurs in 1992 as a MW?

looks like he was just working on his defense. the video proves nothing, but on that day Byrd didnt seem to have any reflexes

was that boxing or slap boxing??

quite honest i'm sick of people who disrespect calzaghe for he's punching style...he's a volume puncher get over it...what matters he's made plenty good boxers who have called him a slapper look silly and he has made a good career of it.

Damn, is that really Byrd? Looks like he's on the Nicole Richie diet.

For some reason I always associate Hieron with his old-school-looking Latino boxing trainer. That trainer definitely looks his part.

Only a matter of time before this gets posted in the HWs and people are like, "OMG! MMA fighter beating a boxer in BOXING SPARRING! lolz boxing sucks!"

Only a matter of time before this gets posted in the HWs and people are like, "OMG! MMA fighter beating a boxer in BOXING SPARRING! lolz boxing sucks!"

and you disagree with that? Wake up, this is 2000 and fucking 8. Boxing is your great grandpas sport.

To be honest, I dont even see where Byrd got hit with a meaningful punch.

He was clearly not throwing meaningful punches and was just focusing on his timing, footwork and defense.

And the majority of his punches were jabs. He barely threw any left hands.

Back