Choque - The official thread

Forgot I had an alert for this thread: yeah, I'll believe it when I see it in terms of The Closed Guard documentary coming out, but at least Drysdale hasn't done a Hywel. It does at least look like it is progressing towards being finished. Interesting that he now has a book associated with it too (albeit on preorder only, IIRC).

Old af thread lol

I saw that some folks were talking about the CACC and decided to make my contribution.

Below is a newspaper clipping describing Oswaldo Gracie as a Luta Livre coach of one Social Club (the Minas Tennis Club), as all of you know Luta Livre is based on CACC, Dudu more specifically is who is described in many sources as being the teacher \ coach of George and other Gracies. There is a photo of a newspaper clipping on the fanpage dedicated to George Gracie on facebook where you can find a photo of a Social Club, I believe that from Fluminense, where says that George was teaching Luta Livre at the club. Too lazy to find the thing.

My point is, CACC is under credited when talking about the BJJ bases, that is when it is credited at all. Do enough research and you will see that Luta Livre was actually everywhere. Even Dudu taught at George Gracie's academy, for example, which the historian who owns the instagram profile above describes as perhaps the first fighter camp known.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesn't seem like it to me.

He tried being purely scholarly and formal at first. He got called a liar and recently accused of making sock puppet accounts for all the good it did him.

It seems that he's getting unthinking hate for providing evidence to dispute the Basically Just Judo hypothesis, which quite a few people are obviously emotionally invested in.

I respect the hell out of Onq, but he gets a free pass for saying that scoring the back mount position was a tricky way to unfairly penalize Sambo and Judo guys rather than the result of a positional scheme that rewards striking positions? Really?

Meanwhile, the recently posted book by Tani emphasized the importance of never turning your back...

I loved the reply above. lol at the only grappling art in which grappling is practiced as if striking is allowed not having been created for fights in which striking is allowed AND lol at this one not being better than the other forms of grappling for that same purpose. Obviously some guys are treating their Martial Arts like soccer fans do with their clubs.

We have come a long way since the beginning of the thread, haven't we? But it seems that some people still consider Choque reliable. . . well, I suppose you can get good things out of everything, right? But, there are many mistakes in the book for sure.

Some things that I cannot fail to mention, that were talked about in the thread not in the book Choque specifically.

Haroldo Britto was a BJJ practitioner, a student of Carlos if I'm not mistaken, but maybe Helio or of both.

Wallid Ismail was already headbutting long before Coleman became an MMA fighter, in the Luta Livre x BJJ showdown, for example, you can find on youtube.

Of all the fights between George and Takeo Yano, Gracie was the only one who won by submission, Takeo was the one who won on points, not the other way around. More draws then everything, so many fights were submission-only i suppose. And the fight between Takeo and Helio, only ended in a draw because it was "submission only" (was a draw because of the time limit), if points were worth Takeo would have won. We must hold people accountable for taking theories out of the ass like "The Gracies created the rules they created to win by points because they lost in submission-only. Basis? Voices from my head."

We can be better.

There's more than that, but honestly, it's not worth it. Anyway, I think I have contributed enough.

Back