Chocolate Milk after a workout???

akutz1

¯\_(--)_/¯
@Brown
Reaction score
Read an article today on ESPN.com about the University of Michigans new strenght and conditioning coachs methods/ routines. He has his players drink chocolate milk after a workout, which seems odd to me. Besides the obvious reason of protein what are the benefits of this instead of a protein shake, powder, etc...

"Barwis is equal parts old- and new-school. The old part: He believes in "Olympic movements," so his players perform a lot of power cleans and squats. Another old part: Don't tell the energy drink industry, but when his players finish their workout, he has them drink -- I kid you not -- chocolate milk."

p.s.- i hope this doesnt help Michigan at all and they suck this year. GO BUCKS!!

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3293269

google chocolate milk and sports drinks... this has been studied quite extensively. but ideally peri workout shakes are a 2:1 carb to protein mix like biotest surge. Chocolate mnilk will not beat something well balanced like surge, but will dominate gatorade and the like every time.

Read an article today on ESPN.com about the University of Michigans new strenght and conditioning coachs methods/ routines. He has his players drink chocolate milk after a workout, which seems odd to me. Besides the obvious reason of protein what are the benefits of this instead of a protein shake, powder, etc...

"Barwis is equal parts old- and new-school. The old part: He believes in "Olympic movements," so his players perform a lot of power cleans and squats. Another old part: Don't tell the energy drink industry, but when his players finish their workout, he has them drink -- I kid you not -- chocolate milk."

p.s.- i hope this doesnt help Michigan at all and they suck this year. GO BUCKS!!

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=3293269

Fat_Wilhelm is going to skull fuck you.

My bros into the sports nutrition stuff but he has mentioned this to me as well about the chocolate milk. I know your body needs some sugars after a workout.

It will. My prediction is that Barwis is going to make a bigger difference to that program than any of the other changes they've made. I may actually be interning under him starting in late April if I can fit it in w/ work, which I'm really excited about.

As for chocolate milk, yes, it's a wonderful PWO drink, but as Urban said, there are other supplements that take the good of chocolate milk a few steps further. I presume that chocolate milk is appealing to a college coach because it is what it is -- one less thing you have to worry about when the NCAA starts examining your supplementation protocol.

Ah well there not to bright in Michigan there either son. Way to hire Rich Rodriguez, how do you plan to run spead offense with no QB or RB. Too bad you couldnt get that one kid to come to your shitty school whats his name again? and where did he end up going? Terrel Pryor will RAPE you this year

You should check out the D&S forum. There was a thread recently about the benefits of milk after workouts. If I'm remembering correctly it wasn't as beneficial as what Urban mentioned -- 2:1 carb:protein mix -- but it's more beneficial than plain water. I could be remembering wrong. In other words, go to the D&S forum.

Michigan... nope
Ohio State... nope

Minnesota will RULE YOU ALL!!!

No, wait... forget that... we suck.

Terrel Pryor will RAPE you this year

Really? From the bench? That'll be an interesting feat.

As for QB, yeah, it's not looking too promising, but do a little research before you say we're lacking RB's. They're fucking stockpiled there. Based on Michigan's recent record against OSU, I won't make any silly predictions for the upcoming matchup, but I do think the Rodriguez hiring will be a good thing in the long term.

Either way, I'm still smarter than you, which is comforting.

Since the question has already been answered I will ask a football related question.

How good is Ron English and the other defensive coordinators UL picked up from the Michigan area? Will we make UK our bitch again?

Ah well there not to bright in Michigan there either, son. Way to hire Rich Rodriguez,. how do you plan to run the spread offense with no QB or RB? Too bad you couldn't get that one kid to come to your shitty school. what's his name again? and where did he end up going? Terrel Pryor will RAPE you this year.

Since the question has already been answered I will ask a football related question.

How good is Ron English and the other defensive coordinators UL picked up from the Michigan area? Will we make UK our bitch again?

I think English is a good coach and will do well at UL. He is aggressive, but was stifled under Lloyd Carr.

Incidentally, it appears English is also a second language at OSU.

Wilhelm just put down some ownage with a spell check.

The title makes me sad because I'm lactose intolerant. I'm unable to find lactose free choco milk:(

Defense definitely can't be worse then it was last year with Cassidy.

Then I will make fun of b0rt

I drank 1 litre of Semi Skimmed Choc Milk for a few months after all my workouts and made decent gains with it. I think its something like 900 cals and 45-50 grams of protein for 1 litre which is a good intake after a workout.

I loved chocolate milk in elementary school.

As the resident expert on the spread offense, you need both an agile rb, a quick qb, and a big bruiser of a fullback. Michigan will be okay if they can get find a qb that can run a sub 4.50 40 yard dash. The problem is that they don't grown on trees. I think Michigan will have the same problem that WVU did when it comes to the wr position. Not many top prospects will want to get the ball just three times a game.

Back