Economy Industrial High Tech (Redux)

Very nice on sticking it to China via straight up not letting them buy stuff, even though a middle man. Again hopefully this doesn’t get overturned in a few months.
Intel, it’s not too late but they definitely have sat in their butts too long. They have the balance sheet and I hope they put it to work

Incredible track, very danceable.

It's alright but I much prefer my dark EBSM industrial cyberpunk shit. This is the voice and sound of the semiconductors, breh. Also great memories of underground warehouse parties and night time drives through the metropolis. Yeah, mostly that. <45>

"Fish and Chips".

How Chinas ever expanding Chip production and large fishing militia fleets in the South China Sea will affect geopolitics

@superking @ElKarlo

l@nd0

It pretty much puts Greater Phoenix permanently on the map. The two largest equipment and machinery firms (Applied Materials & ASML) both have manufacturing based here; the largest IDM in the world (Intel) has the majority of its global production based here and now it just secured the world's largest pure play foundry with TSMC. There are also several major local suppliers of the industrial chemicals and gases used for IC manufacturing.
The city has become a hotbed of industrial tech manufacturing not just because Intel decided to plant its flag here in the 1980s. It was significant for sure, but today Phoenix-Metro also has a deep talented labor pool, good educational infrastructure and friendly business environment with a high quality of life, low cost of living and plentiful supply of land. Arizona State has been named the most innovative university in the country for the last six consecutive years by US News & World Report and its Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering has over 20,000 students enrolled.

Intel's revenue up to 9/30/2020 was almost $80 billion. Intel IS the national lab for chips, Intel doesn't need the government. The government, indeed America, needs Intel.
Intel, it’s not too late but they definitely have sat in their butts too long. They have the balance sheet and I hope they put it to work

Gelsinger isn't fucking around.

http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/03/23/...ategy-shift-under-new-ceo-pat-gelsinger-.html

In his first extended public remarks since becoming Intel CEO, Pat Gelsinger offered an underlying message: Intel, the American chipmaking giant, is getting its swagger back.

Intel, contrary to some industry expectations, said on Tuesday would not shift its decades-old strategy to become a chip design firm that outsources manufacturing. Instead, it will double down on manufacturing, and invest $20 billion in two new chip factories in Arizona.

"Intel is back. The old Intel is now the new Intel," Gelsinger said. "We're bringing back the execution discipline of Intel. What I've called the Grove-ian culture that we do what we say that we're doing to do," Gelsinger said, referring to legendary CEO Andy Grove, who built Intel into a U.S. tech juggernaut during the 1980s and 90s.

Gelsinger on Tuesday showed that he is wasting no time making big changes. The most significant shift in strategy is a new division called Intel Foundry Services that taps into one of the biggest trends in the semiconductor world. Many top technology firms and chipmakers have moved to a model where they design chips, but turn to Asian factories run by companies such as TSMC and Samsung to manufacture them.

Intel's announcement and its $20 billion investment in new factories on U.S. soil suggest that in a few years, companies that might have been forced to go to Asia to manufacture semiconductors could be able to get similar performance from chips fabricated in places like Arizona.

"This is the Intel strategy, period, full stop. It does not depend on a penny of government support, or state support, or any other investments to make it successful," Gelsinger said. Intel said on Tuesday that it believed the foundry market could be worth $100 billion in 2025.

Intel suggested that there was a lot of demand for its foundry services, especially from big American technology companies. It said it's received enthusiasm for its foundry services from companies including Amazon, Cisco, Google, IBM and Qualcomm. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella even appeared in a short video to endorse the plan.

Was waiting for you to say something. Thought you got banned. Again

that’s a big deal. It’ll be years but it should make Intel a TSMC like or a solid competitor across all the chips
Btw listened to the new ceo talk. Def is an engineer at heart. No cfo be from him at all

Was waiting for you to say something. Thought you got banned. Again.

that’s a big deal. It’ll be years but it should make Intel a TSMC like or a solid competitor across all the chips
Btw listened to the new ceo talk. Def is an engineer at heart. No cfo be from him at all

Lol nah, I just didn't post for the last five days. I'm kind of done though man, taking a hiatus and going on an IRL extended vacation at the end of the week. I only came back for this thread due to the significance of the news.

At least in the gaming sphere for chips AMD is still beating them is my understanding.

EDIT:
Don't get me wrong, someone like me won't be able to tell the difference between an Intel or AMD of comparable generation/specs so if I build a system I will buy based on which ever one is cheaper at the time and easier to find/get the mobo for.

But for those people that are all about min-maxing and do lot's of rendering and video editing and stuff.... I suspect AMD with their Threadripper will still outpace Intel for now.

I work in manufacturing at the moment, and I've worked in construction, and supply chain / logistics in the past. Things like self sufficiency by sector and key product types should be headline news after what we've gone through in this pandemic. We need the public to understand this issue and why it's important far more than we need round-the-clock coverage of devil sneakers and dogs that steal stuffed animals from dollar stores.

At least in the gaming sphere for chips AMD is still beating them is my understanding.

EDIT:
Don't get me wrong, someone like me won't be able to tell the difference between an Intel or AMD of comparable generation/specs so if I build a system I will buy based on which ever one is cheaper at the time and easier to find/get the mobo for.

But for those people that are all about min-maxing and do lot's of rendering and video editing and stuff.... I suspect AMD with their Threadripper will still outpace Intel for now.

It's been said many times before, but Intel would find it a lot easier to compete with AMD on performance if they only focused on chip engineering, gave up their in-house manufacturing and outsourced all of it to Taiwan. It would also be an utterly devastating blow to America's geopolitical strength, national security and domestic industrial sector with obscene job losses. Thankfully, they have far too much pride to fold their operations and will instead opt to claw their way back to the apex of industry performance and process technology. It's going to take a few years at least.

Lol nah, I just didn't post for the last five days. I'm kind of done though man, taking a hiatus and going on an IRL extended vacation at the end of the week. I only came back for this thread due to the significance of the news.
I hear that man. Nice to walk away and take it easy

Btw I think Intel once it gets these new facilities under construction, they will go acquiring. Probably security stuff like Broadcom did or small niche semi makers

It's been said many times before, but Intel would find it a lot easier to compete with AMD on performance if they only focused on chip engineering, gave up their in-house manufacturing and outsourced all of it to Taiwan. It would also be an utterly devastating blow to America's geopolitical strength, national security and domestic industrial sector with obscene job losses. Thankfully, they have far too much pride to fold their operations and will instead opt to claw their way back to the apex of industry performance and process technology. It's going to take a few years at least.
I currently have a 6700k in my tower PC and was initially looking at a Ryzen chip from AMD if I ever upgraded it but honestly am looking at Intel because AMD seems to get sold out super fast right now. Well, everything gets sold out super fast but still.

I currently have a 6700k in my tower PC and was initially looking at a Ryzen chip from AMD if I ever upgraded it but honestly am looking at Intel because AMD seems to get sold out super fast right now. Well, everything gets sold out super fast but still.

A lot of the headlines have made it seem like Intel is about to go under or some shit. On the contrary it's by far the largest corp by revenue, remains highly profitable and invests three times the amount of any other firm in R&D. It actually still holds over 90% of both the global PC and Data Center chip markets in part because of their massive in-house production capacity (manufacturing that is overwhelmingly based in the United States and definitely not mainland China). They have the capital, ingenuity and breathing room to make the necessary corrections and it would probably be pretty stupid to bet against the industry OG.

Gelsinger isn't fucking around.

http://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/03/23/...ategy-shift-under-new-ceo-pat-gelsinger-.html

In his first extended public remarks since becoming Intel CEO, Pat Gelsinger offered an underlying message: Intel, the American chipmaking giant, is getting its swagger back.

Intel, contrary to some industry expectations, said on Tuesday would not shift its decades-old strategy to become a chip design firm that outsources manufacturing. Instead, it will double down on manufacturing, and invest $20 billion in two new chip factories in Arizona.

"Intel is back. The old Intel is now the new Intel," Gelsinger said. "We're bringing back the execution discipline of Intel. What I've called the Grove-ian culture that we do what we say that we're doing to do," Gelsinger said, referring to legendary CEO Andy Grove, who built Intel into a U.S. tech juggernaut during the 1980s and 90s.

Gelsinger on Tuesday showed that he is wasting no time making big changes. The most significant shift in strategy is a new division called Intel Foundry Services that taps into one of the biggest trends in the semiconductor world. Many top technology firms and chipmakers have moved to a model where they design chips, but turn to Asian factories run by companies such as TSMC and Samsung to manufacture them.

Intel's announcement and its $20 billion investment in new factories on U.S. soil suggest that in a few years, companies that might have been forced to go to Asia to manufacture semiconductors could be able to get similar performance from chips fabricated in places like Arizona.

"This is the Intel strategy, period, full stop. It does not depend on a penny of government support, or state support, or any other investments to make it successful," Gelsinger said. Intel said on Tuesday that it believed the foundry market could be worth $100 billion in 2025.

Intel suggested that there was a lot of demand for its foundry services, especially from big American technology companies. It said it's received enthusiasm for its foundry services from companies including Amazon, Cisco, Google, IBM and Qualcomm. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella even appeared in a short video to endorse the plan.

{<Mcgoat}

:meow:

<RomeroSalute>

A lot of the headlines have made it seem like Intel is about to go under or some shit. On the contrary it's by far the largest corp by revenue, remains highly profitable and invests three times the amount of any other firm in R&D. It actually still holds over 90% of both the global PC and Data Center chip markets in part because of their massive in-house production capacity (manufacturing that is overwhelmingly based in the United States and definitely not mainland China). They have the capital, ingenuity and breathing room to make the necessary corrections and it would probably be pretty stupid to bet against the industry OG.
I just want to get parts without having to debase myself to afford them. :(

{<Mcgoat}

:meow:

<RomeroSalute>

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/inte...ars-ago-heres-how-he-came-back-115228303.html

By his own admission, Pat Gelsinger bleeds Intel blue. It's no surprise seeing as the self-described tech geek started at the chipmaker at the age of 18, became its first Chief Technology Officer and learned alongside storied Intel CEO Andy Grove.

But up until the announcement in mid-January that he would be Intel's eighth-ever CEO, Gelsinger was 11 years into the top job at cloud player VMWare.

"When I left the company [Intel] 11 years ago, I was pushed out of the company and it was hard. You know there is this typical phrase that what was meant for evil worked out for good. And boy it hurt at the time. It was difficult. But, it made me better," Gelsinger told Yahoo Finance.

Gelsinger said he used the time as CEO of VMWare to learn new leadership skills that ultimately set him up perfectly to return home as Intel's chief. VMWare shareholders were handsomely rewarded under Gelsinger's watch: amid the acceleration in the cloud, shares of VMWare have gained 193% these past five years.

Recalls Gelsinger, "My 11-year vacation as I call it, I became a seasoned CEO. I have learned new leadership skills in customer focus, a new emphasis on diversity and inclusion and what it means to build a culture, and how to work with finance on the Street. All of these things are now combining with that 30-year experience I had at Intel. I will say every neural pattern that I ever exercised is being used fully every day on the job at Intel."

Those neural patterns of Gelsinger have surely been firing on warp overdrive this week. The company — which has been pressured to outsource its chipmaking — announced Tuesday during a business update its plan to invest $20 billion to build two new factories in Arizona. Intel also committed to making chips for other companies in a bid to increase industry capacity.

Hopefully this fucking ridiculous GPU shortage would be lessen with Intel jumping in the foundry business. TSMC alone can't keep up with the demand ever since the crypto miners switched over to using high-end graphics cards for their mining farms several years ago.

We are living in an era when people can sell their old graphic cards for twice the price that they paid five years ago.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/36783...tment-over-three-years-to-boost-chip-capacity

TSMC just mic dropped at Intel's 20B investment plan

• Taiwan Semiconductor (NYSE:TSM) says it plans to spend $100B over the next three years to expand its chip fabrication capacity.
  • TSMC, whose customers include Apple and Qualcomm, already had indicated plans to spend $25B-$28B this year to develop and produce advanced chips.
  • "We are entering a period of higher growth as the multiyear megatrends of 5G and high-performance computing are expected to fuel strong demand for our semiconductor technologies in the next several years," the company tells Reuters.
  • "TSMC's prospects have brightened with Intel going the foundry services route," EnerTuition writes in an analysis published recently on Seeking Alpha.

Pretty nuts, and they are def trying to keep Qcom and Apple as customers, making their chips. Wonder if they will get Amazon, as Broadcom and Amazon are fighting about the terms

Back