China's schoolchildren are now the smartest in the world

What little I've read on the subject isn't abot brain structure but about language. Many Asian languages are symbol based so learning the language requires memorizing large numbers of symbols, something north of 2000 (I think literacy is measured by knowledge of some 1500 symbols in China). By comparison, languages like English and the Romance languages, have far fewer symbols (26) which are then combined to generate the numerou different words.

So, from a reading perspective, Westerners have to combine their limited number of symbols in various and unexpected ways to learn new words, so a greater emphasis on analyzing and combining. Asians have to memorize new symbols so a greater emphasis on memorization and long term retention.

That's just at the linguistics level but obviously, the brain develops in relation to what it's expected to do. Also, not my area, so there are probably some errors in the above.

Good post. I would also add in that tens of thousands of years of developing and surviving in completely different climates with different tasks and hurdles would mean each race would physically and mentally develop in different ways too.

Canadian math team...

mtc2017L.jpg

There appears to be a pattern here...

I get what you're saying and from the perspective you're elaborating you're right. However there's a couple facets of the equation that deserve adding as well, they are: First, the numbers. US population is estimated to be around 311.1 million vs over a Billion for China. Their education system concerns itself with only the top 1/3rd of their population, granted it omits a lot, however the US education system leverages 3/4ths of its time and resources towards the bottom half of the academic population. After all, why spend time and money on a smart kid, (who's already smart) when there are dumb kids who need more help anyway; right? That's our policy, and its a very nice policy, but this really isn't about being nice in the strictest sense, it's about competition.

The initial pool of numbers and aim of educational resources have an enormous effect. This should be easily understood; its why in America, 3A schools don't compete directly with 6A schools.

Secondly: cultural and educational atmosphere. And admittedly this one's effects are a little more nebulous. China isn't an ally, more a friendly enemy. The Chinese have a distinct identity, maybe not all follow it, but they're certainly taught it. We don't don't even teach civics anymore. Chinese kids grow up with the hardship of a third world environment, they're told almost from infancy education is the way to the brass ring. They're mentality and their parents mentality are like US depression era people. They're scraping from an early age. That motivation is big. Maybe not the nicest, but effective. The best boxers don't come from the suburbs either. You know what I mean? I don't disagree with anything you said. But numbers matter. Its almost like AI, whoever has the biggest data pool ends up with a better algorithm. Gonna take time to see how this plays out.
Except that's not our policy. We devote a lot of resources at both ends of the spectrum. We recognize that if you want to maximize the returns from your population you have to maximize them individually. So getting your bottom portion up to snuff is extremely important. However, contrary to popular belief, we don't neglect our brightest minds. We wouldn't have the best college system in the world if that was true. The combination of the 2 means that we do a better job of finding all of our talent than some other countries do. Because we'll check the lowest performing kids for latent talent while they let that talent languish.

As for Chinese kids vs. American kids and mentalities, I agree with some of it but think some of it is like false hero worship (not you but society). We see the most motivated and driven Chinese people and then extrapolate that to the entire country. We discount the hundreds of millions of Chinese (the vast majority of China) that simply do not match that imagery. It results in a false impression of the country.

Think about all of the data we have about how the Chinese manipulate their economic numbers, their education numbers, their political numbers, etc. Then think about the reality that huge portions of their country are extremely rural and under-developed and then think about the fact that most of our impressions come those Chinese people capable of attending U.S. universities and ask yourself how those 2 images can co-exist? Which one is more likely to represent the norm? The hundreds of millions or the 10s of millions.

If we only measured Ivy League graduates, our intelligence and our "mentality" would look very different as well.

Numbers certainly matter. I won't disagree with that but it's important to measure all of the numbers. Here's some to help put this in context:

China has 6 million students attending college. The U.S. has 20 million.

The mythos surrounding China needs to be balanced by the reality. We saw the same thing with the Japanese in the 80s. Fast forward a decade or two and Japanese isn't the hot language anymore, the Japanese economy is stagnant and has been for years, they never took over the world with their "efficiency" and now they're trying to deconstruct aspects of that culture for population preservation purposes.

Let's pump the brakes on China. Watch them, be cautious about them because they are an enemy, but not elevate them to a pedestal they haven't earned yet.

Wow, the United States does awesome in Reading when you consider all the students we have who don't even speak English well.

We are better than: Japan, UK, Australia, Denmark, Norway, Germany, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Iceland, Israel, Luxembourg, Saudi Arabia, Qatar...

Last edited:
Chinese can retain a lot of information, but their analytical, logical, and common sense thinking is weak

Just look at them inside a grocery store, for instance: can’t see for shit where they’re going with carts and always bump into others. Their tourists are another story altogether

They steal and copy a lot of western prorietary info and can’t invent anything on their own

Chinese can retain a lot of information, but their analytical, logical, and common sense thinking is weak

Just look at them inside a grocery store, for instance: can’t see for shit where they’re going with carts and always bump into others. Their tourists are another story altogether

They steal and copy a lot of western prorietary info and can’t invent anything on their own

That sounds like certain posters on this forum.

They had an empire literally thousands of years before even the Roman Empire

To be fair, the US is dragged down by all the deadbeat states. If the Northeastern US were its own nation, it would be near the top of almost all quality of life and performance metrics.

northeastUSA.png

- It'd have a population of about ~55.94 million.
- It'd have a GDP of about ~$3.422 trillion, and a GDP per capita of about $61,172.
- The current GDP of the US is $17.3 trillion, with a GDP per capita of about $54,746.
- Without the Northeast, the US' GDP would fall to $13.91 trillion, with a GDP per capita of $44,018. ($17,154 less than an independent Northeast!)
- It'd be the 5th largest economy in the world

The Northeast is far different from the rest of the US. The culture is completely different, the emphasis on urban areas is different, etc. I mean, I'd say we're far closer (politically and culturally) to Canada than to Texas or Alabama.
I imagine that an independent Northeast would be a much fairer society, with an emphasis on social liberalism and multiculturalism. We'd be a secular country, with respect for irreligious people.
We'd probably have comprehensive environmental protection measures like a carbon tax or a cap and trade scheme. We already get significant amounts of our power from renewable sources.
We'd have universal health care. A woman's right to choose would never be taken away, and the rights of the LGBT community would be protected.
We'd follow states like NJ and Rhode Island and provide paid parental/family leave, paid sick leave, etc to all residents.
We'd respect our immigrants and multiculturalism, and actually reform the immigration system.
Our borders would be the US, Canada, and the Atlantic Ocean. No threats at all.
We'd have great schools - for example, Massachusetts, if it were its own country, it'd be ranked within the top 10 countries in the world for education (PISA). We'd have amazing universities (I mean, we have the whole Ivy League, SUNY system, etc).
Our poverty rate would be far lower than the current USA's.
Our obesity rate would be 20-25%.
Our crime rates would be far lower, with far less gun violence.
We don't have a racist culture.
We'd have some of the highest average incomes in the world.
I hate to say it, but the Northeast is almost "held back" in a way by parts of the rest of the country. There are very few areas in which we do not exceed the rest of the country in rankings and statistics. (except for maybe our cold winters)

Politics are one of the biggest things - we've voted Democrat consistently for the past 20 years. We are the most politically liberal areas of the country. Even our Republicans are moderate. (We lack a Tea Party base.)​

So, the Northeast is considerably different - and dare I say better - than the rest of the US. (Yankee pride?)

(c&p'ed from here)​

The Northeast is white as hell. It has nothing to do with multiculturalism and immigrants for goodness sakes.

To be fair, the US is dragged down by all the deadbeat states. If the Northeastern US were its own nation, it would be near the top of almost all quality of life and performance metrics.

northeastUSA.png

- It'd have a population of about ~55.94 million.
- It'd have a GDP of about ~$3.422 trillion, and a GDP per capita of about $61,172.
- The current GDP of the US is $17.3 trillion, with a GDP per capita of about $54,746.
- Without the Northeast, the US' GDP would fall to $13.91 trillion, with a GDP per capita of $44,018. ($17,154 less than an independent Northeast!)
- It'd be the 5th largest economy in the world

The Northeast is far different from the rest of the US. The culture is completely different, the emphasis on urban areas is different, etc. I mean, I'd say we're far closer (politically and culturally) to Canada than to Texas or Alabama.
I imagine that an independent Northeast would be a much fairer society, with an emphasis on social liberalism and multiculturalism. We'd be a secular country, with respect for irreligious people.
We'd probably have comprehensive environmental protection measures like a carbon tax or a cap and trade scheme. We already get significant amounts of our power from renewable sources.
We'd have universal health care. A woman's right to choose would never be taken away, and the rights of the LGBT community would be protected.
We'd follow states like NJ and Rhode Island and provide paid parental/family leave, paid sick leave, etc to all residents.
We'd respect our immigrants and multiculturalism, and actually reform the immigration system.
Our borders would be the US, Canada, and the Atlantic Ocean. No threats at all.
We'd have great schools - for example, Massachusetts, if it were its own country, it'd be ranked within the top 10 countries in the world for education (PISA). We'd have amazing universities (I mean, we have the whole Ivy League, SUNY system, etc).
Our poverty rate would be far lower than the current USA's.
Our obesity rate would be 20-25%.
Our crime rates would be far lower, with far less gun violence.
We don't have a racist culture.
We'd have some of the highest average incomes in the world.
I hate to say it, but the Northeast is almost "held back" in a way by parts of the rest of the country. There are very few areas in which we do not exceed the rest of the country in rankings and statistics. (except for maybe our cold winters)

Politics are one of the biggest things - we've voted Democrat consistently for the past 20 years. We are the most politically liberal areas of the country. Even our Republicans are moderate. (We lack a Tea Party base.)​

So, the Northeast is considerably different - and dare I say better - than the rest of the US. (Yankee pride?)

(c&p'ed from here)​

I grew up in Vermont and must agree that we had a lot more culturally in common with Canada than other parts of the country...

l60_66.jpg

Unfair. Their bad students commit suicide after getting their first B, our bottom rung students hang around and make it shitty for everyone else.

well in the west children learn gender theory and other shit, so it makes sense

Anyone trusting numbers from China is a damn fool.

There’s a ton of literature available with a quick google search about how rural Chinese students have high drop out rates, perform significantly worse than urban students, and how they are often malnourished.

People aren’t aware of how impoverished the interior of China can be. It is amazing how well the CCP has shaped the image of China in recent years. You would think everybody was lifted out of poverty and they have the smartest people in the world.

this is also true

True, the US is one of the few developed countries who dont juke the stats when it comes to pisa testing.
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT

In the US kids from like 10 until about 15 don't actually LEARN anything, they're just taught how to take that year's standardized test

Sure. But how do you explain Hong Kong? Or Taiwan? Or Singapore? They're ethnically Chinese. Do they also hide their rural fuck ups?
They're metropolitan centers? You take the whole of the LA area (including the like South Central, Compton, Watts areas where I'm sure drop out rates are high) and compare it to mid Appalachia and the LA tests will probably average out better than Appalachia.

Chinese patent laws allow for them to steal existing technology from other countries and register it as their own.

With China's massive population advantage over western nations, it doesn't matter if they're hiding their dummies to manipulate the stats. The population of their "smartest" students is probably at least the same as the entire population of US students, including our dummies.

Is it possible that there is something about the Asian brain that genetically retains information easier than that of other races?

Like how blacks from African decent are genetically gifted to run the fastest? Wouldn't it be ignorant to assume that only physical traits range between the races, and not mental traits as well?

Just tossin that out there. Feel free to be offended as of course everyone is absolutely equal in every way to everyone else in libtard land.
No.... it's the culture. I say this as someone that grew up with a Western (aka, first gen Eastern European immigrant son) dad, and a Japanese mother.

You get a fucking B+ in my household and my video games got taken away and all sorts of other "grounding" sort of things happened.

So, who was your last account?
Seriously though, have you MET anyone from Boston?

It's not racist but they can tell on your accent what portion of Boston you're from and how to properly take metaphorical shits on you.

The Northeast is white as hell. It has nothing to do with multiculturalism and immigrants for goodness sakes.
The Northeast is also rich as fuck. Even the dude's living in the woods of fucking Maine make bank as like loggers and shit.

No.... it's the culture. I say this as someone that grew up with a Western (aka, first gen Eastern European immigrant son) dad, and a Japanese mother.

You get a fucking B+ in my household and my video games got taken away and all sorts of other "grounding" sort of things happened.

Seriously though, have you MET anyone from Boston?

It's not racist but they can tell on your accent what portion of Boston you're from and how to properly take metaphorical shits on you.

The Northeast is also rich as fuck. Even the dude's living in the woods of fucking Maine make bank as like loggers and shit.

Well this is western culture which is chalk full of white privilege.

Where the hell is the systemic racism that's suppose to keep asian kids down while propping up white kids?

Back