International China finishes highspeed railway that connects Laos with China.

Zazen

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has been following this project but the work has been completed. Laos now has its first highspeed railway and it connects the two countries. Laos is a landlocked nation and this going to help tremendously with trade. I think it is a pretty good move and it also helps China's global image.

Not sure if this should go on Mayberry or here but if I post anything about China it gets moved to the War Room so I figure why not just start here.

1040044f-7475-45d6-b731-3e740bcba406.jpeg

http://www.news.cn/english/2021-10/16/c_1310249495.htm

Weird how we never hear anything about Laos in the news. Like never. I've never met anyone from there.

I've met tons of Vietnamese here in Houston. Super nice people and hard workers.

Just showing how America is so much more progressive than China. Sure, they have high speed trains, but do they have women with penises?

<BC1>
Nothing progressive about this, bob. It's just China keeping weak countries firmly in their orbit via giving out loans and building stuff.

We too can have highspeed rail if we didn't care about small things like profitability. There's a reason literally nobody else is touching Laos.

Weird how we never hear anything about Laos in the news. Like never. I've never met anyone from there.

I've met tons of Vietnamese here in Houston. Super nice people and hard workers.

Well, its called the Secret War for a reason.

Not sure I understand your argument though. What does one have to do with the other? We still have NASA despite transgenders existing.
It relates to his fantasy about the decline of the West compared to Asian powers who don't have identity politics, with highspeed rail being an example of smart people doing good things...Completely ignoring that there's a lot of good reasons to not have highspeed rail in the US.

Nothing progressive about this, bob. It's just China keeping weak countries firmly in their orbit via giving out loans and building stuff.

We too can have highspeed rail if we didn't care about small things like profitability. There's a reason literally nobody else is touching Laos.

The US can't build anything like this without Unions, Special Interests and Environmental groups fucking it all up...

Someday you'll realize America needs to get it's priorities straightened out.

But technological process doesn't come to a stop just because some people call for social justice. Does Elon Musk and his workers stop going to work because someone in another city wanted a transgender bathroom? I see this type of comment all the time but nobody ever elaborates upon it. Why can't a powerful nation do both at once?

By the way, I think the bathroom issue is silly too. I just brought it up as an example because conservatives obsess over it.

Someday you'll realize America needs to get it's priorities straightened out.
It relates to his fantasy about the decline of the West compared to Asian powers who don't have identity politics, with highspeed rail being an example of smart people doing good things...Completely ignoring that there's a lot of good reasons to not have highspeed rail in the US.

China’s High‐Speed Debt Trap

The reason high‐speed rail never caught on in the United States is because we had jet airliners before Japan even started building its first bullet train. Why should we worry that a train from Beijing to Shanghai is faster than a train from Washington to Boston when our planes are twice as fast as the fastest trains in the world?

Second: China recently halted construction on two new high‐speed rail lines due to mounting debt. As of a year ago, China State Railway had an $850 billion debt and China transport experts say 80 percent of that debt is due to construction of high‐speed rail lines. Construction is also partly paid for by local provinces, which have also gone heavily into debt for high‐speed rail. As a result, the country is slowing its expansion of high‐speed rail.

Most of China’s high‐speed rail lines lose money. China hopes to recoup some of these losses by selling its high‐speed rail technology to other countries, which puts those countries so heavily in debt that the program is known as “debt‐trap diplomacy.” We need to be careful not to be lured into that trap ourselves.

https://www.cato.org/blog/chinas-high-speed-debt-trap

I have never seen high speed trains haul cargo and I see no point in doing so. How exactly does this help trade?

The 1,035-kilometer China-Laos railway, which started in December 2016, connects Kunming in Southwest China's Yunnan Province and the capital of Laos, Vientiane.

According to the Xinhua News Agency, the rail line, with a designated speed of 160 kilometers per hour, will greatly shorten the travel time from Vientiane to the China-Laos border from two days to just about three hours, while the journey to Kunming can be done overnight.

Experts said that the railway will serve as an important transportation junction for Laos, an inland country, and boost sectors of the Laotian economy like trade and tourism by facilitating the transport of goods and tourists between the two countries.

"In the past, goods were transported between China and Laos by road, which is only good for small quantities, or by air, which is relatively expensive. The China-Laos railway could greatly shorten the transportation time, which I think will definitely encourage trade between the two countries, particularly for farm goods, which have high requirements for freshness," Gu Xiaosong, dean of the ASEAN Research Institute of Hainan Tropical Ocean University, told the Global Times on Wednesday.

Gu said that China-Laos agricultural trade might double due to the railway's operation. Laos' entrepot trade might also increase as other countries will use it as a transfer station in transporting goods to and from China, he said.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202112/1240426.shtml

The reason high‐speed rail never caught on in the United States is because we had jet airliners before Japan even started building its first bullet train. Why should we worry that a train from Beijing to Shanghai is faster than a train from Washington to Boston when our planes are twice as fast as the fastest trains in the world?

Second: China recently halted construction on two new high‐speed rail lines due to mounting debt. As of a year ago, China State Railway had an $850 billion debt and China transport experts say 80 percent of that debt is due to construction of high‐speed rail lines. Construction is also partly paid for by local provinces, which have also gone heavily into debt for high‐speed rail. As a result, the country is slowing its expansion of high‐speed rail.

Most of China’s high‐speed rail lines lose money. China hopes to recoup some of these losses by selling its high‐speed rail technology to other countries, which puts those countries so heavily in debt that the program is known as “debt‐trap diplomacy.” We need to be careful not to be lured into that trap ourselves.

This is the kind of attitude that is getting us nowhere.

"China is in trouble"

"China is going to crash"

We've heard this shit forever from hacks like Gordon Chang and the ilk.

Why not just assume China continues in a direction of growth and try to match them? There's no need for us to assume that if we just stay idle everything will take care of itself. China is making incredible progress and we will continually eat crow as we do nothing but bicker back and forth. Chinese EV have come a long way too and are expected to be the leaders but we'll always have people like you who talk shit and make Americans complacent. Hell, my grandparents still think that Chinese are starving. Our perception of China lags behind the reality.

"China is in trouble"

Why not just assume China continues in a direction of growth and try to match them? There's no need for us to assume that if we just stay idle everything will take care of itself. China is making incredible progress and we will continually eat crow as we do nothing but bicker back and forth. Chinese EV have come a long way too and are expected to be the leaders but we'll always have people like you who talk shit and make Americans complacent. Hell, my grandparents still think that Chinese are starving. Our perception of China lags behind the reality.

The article brings up valid points regarding costs of HSR and China saddling countries with debt.

The article brings up valid points regarding costs of HSR and China saddling countries with debt.

What about the leaders who happily sign onto this stuff? They just enjoy getting fucked in the ass by these awful deals? You don't think some of this might be sensationalized because people fear the rise of a growing economic threat? People tend to forget there's another world outside of the anglosphere that still needs to reach development.

"China is in trouble"

My dude you are literally posting Chinese propaganda and you have the nerve to call out people for using hack sources?

The US can't build anything like this without Unions, Special Interests and Environmental groups fucking it all up...

Yeah...I have seen enough people crushed by Chinese elevators or sucked into the bowels of the Earth by Chinese escalators to come to the conclusion we shouldn't be emulating their engineering projects.

My dude you are literally posting Chinese propaganda and you have the nerve to call out people for using hack sources?

Nothing in this post is propaganda.

I don't like how China censors its citizens and builds cameras everyone.

I don't like government acting like a daddy.

However they know how to get shit done and I think they are putting themselves in a strong position to overtake us.

You'd think someone worried about China would actually treat them with a bit more respect. If we keep mocking them then we will fail.

Very interesting... Appreciate it.

There's been talk of a high speed rail between Dallas and Houston for awhile. It's a ~4-5 hour drive. There's actually some people fly who back and forth for work. Seems like a waste of money and time... since by the time you park, check in and get through security. Well... You're not far off from 4 hours. And if you have to get a rental car.

Personally, I can't see it ever being done, but I'd totally take the train from here to Dallas if they build it. My sister lives there.

The eminent domain alone would cost a fortune.

Yeah...I have seen enough people crushed by Chinese elevators or sucked into the bowels of the Earth by Chinese escalators to come to the conclusion we shouldn't be emulating their engineering projects.

Some of the craziest videos on the internet. They definitely don't have OSHA either

That and the ones were when someone in China accidently hits someone with their car, they'll hit them again because it's better if the victim is dead... money-wise.

From an article
The Chinese language even has an adage for the phenomenon: “It is better to hit to kill than to hit and injure.”

Not sure if anyone has been following this project but the work has been completed. Laos now has its first highspeed railway and it connects the two countries. Laos is a landlocked nation and this going to help tremendously with trade. I think it is a pretty good move and it also helps China's global image.

Not sure if this should go on Mayberry or here but if I post anything about China it gets moved to the War Room so I figure why not just start here.

1040044f-7475-45d6-b731-3e740bcba406.jpeg

http://www.news.cn/english/2021-10/16/c_1310249495.htm
Are you under the impression that China built this out of the goodness of their heart? Guaranteed it's just a quicker way for them to tighten the noose.

Back