International China creates world's biggest free trade zone

It can't because it pays its people a wage and insurance... how old are you btw @Orgasmo..
If US won't cough up the cash, how do you expect countries to be persuaded? Because China is making it rain right now with cheap loans.

I'm 33.

If US won't cough up the cash, how do you expect countries to be persuaded? Because China is making it rain right now with cheap loans.

I'm 33.

LoL it's not cheap if you lose your nations largest port for a 100 years.

What I learn in this thread is that sherdoggers has zero knowledge on how the world work.

People like @Cajun and @ElKarlo are stuck in their own bubble. Clueless about geopolitics and how the world operates.
So if South Africa had a massive economy, it'd be ok to have traded with them? You know back when things were a little less PC there.
Basically money is the ultimate goal and just the potential promises of money are enough for you
I remember in 2012 when Japanese goods were smashed in China and boycotting was going on. Why let s country like China have that power over you and your corporations. And many companies doing business in China aren't making much profit wise. Even YUM spun off its KFC China unit.
Seems like as long as they are paying, you are willing to bend over

It's not like China are walking back the measures they've taken against Australian exports due to our political criticisms.
On the other hand this deal sets common rules for our regional trading partners and the majority of our trade.
Even without India or the US, it's still massive.
Unfortunately balance of power is definitely going to be an issue without India and the US. Even when the agreement was supposed to include all of ASEAN Plus Six, China's influence would only have been countered if all the other nations united against it.
The US failed with Obama's "Pivot to Asia", and Trump outright ran away. Not only by pulling out of the TPP and ignoring the RCEP, he failed to attend a single ASEAN conference, let alone try and provide any form of leadership.
Unilateralism and "decoupling" just aren't actually going to provide any sort of solutions in an increasingly interwoven global economy.

So if South Africa had a massive economy, it'd be ok to have traded with them? You know back when things were a little less PC there.
Basically money is the ultimate goal and just the potential promises of money are enough for you
I remember in 2012 when Japanese goods were smashed in China and boycotting was going on. Why let s country like China have that power over you and your corporations. And many companies doing business in China aren't making much profit wise. Even YUM spun off its KFC China unit.
Seems like as long as they are paying, you are willing to bend over
You're completely clueless about anything related to geopolitics. Throwing temper tantrum and spewing gibberish on sherdog won't make your dream come true.

There's a reason why Asian countries are strengthening its economic tie with China. And it's not hard to understand why if you're willing to step outside of your bubble and be honest with yourself.

You're completely clueless about anything related to geopolitics. Throwing temper tantrum and spewing gibberish on sherdog won't make your dream come true.

There's a reason why Asian countries are strengthening its economic tie with China. And it's not hard to understand why if you're willing to step outside of your bubble and be honest with yourself.
It's like you didn't read anything I said. Well done at that, I guess. Because your response WA SA canned response, especially gicen that I gave you a Japanese experience with China.

It's like you didn't read anything I said. Well done at that, I guess. Because your response WA SA canned response, especially gicen that I gave you a Japanese experience with China.
I don't give a single shit about your experience. And neither does the world and those Asian countries that just signed the rcep deal.

Go learn about geopolitics and step outside of your bubble. Maybe then you will understand why Asian countries are continue to strengthen Its economic tie with China.

I don't give a single shit about your experience. And neither does the world and those Asian countries that just signed the rcep deal.

Go learn about geopolitics and step outside of your bubble. Maybe then you will understand why Asian countries are continue to strengthen Its economic tie with China.
Wow that's an interesting way to say tldr

It's not like China are walking back the measures they've taken against Australian exports due to our political criticisms.
On the other hand this deal sets common rules for our regional trading partners and the majority of our trade.
Even without India or the US, it's still massive.
Unfortunately balance of power is definitely going to be an issue without India and the US. Even when the agreement was supposed to include all of ASEAN Plus Six, China's influence would only have been countered if all the other nations united against it.
The US failed with Obama's "Pivot to Asia", and Trump outright ran away. Not only by pulling out of the TPP and ignoring the RCEP, he failed to attend a single ASEAN conference, let alone try and provide any form of leadership.
Unilateralism and "decoupling" just aren't actually going to provide any sort of solutions in an increasingly interwoven global economy.
Trump didn't ran away. In fact Pompeo has already visited Asean and Japan many times in this year alone. Under Trump, the US has pumps out more anti-china propagandas in Asia than Obama ever did. They even signed a military pack with Japan a few months ago. But yet Japan still continues to strengthen its economic tie with China like many other Asian countries.

The truth is that America isn't that important and simply can't control what's happening in Asia.

China offers development aid and low interest loans to poor countries. Murica keeps on screaming debt trap yet offers no tangible competitive deals to hose countries. Either up your foreign aid game or offer more attractive deals. You sure as hell aren't going to outcompete China with the direction you're heading.

Countries are attracted to economic gains, not empty Cold War rhetorics.
China’s assistance to poor country comes at a high cost. Loans that they know the country will be unable to pay back, effectively endebting that country forever. Also, they will make deals to develop natural resources, but then bring their own workers and not employ locals. I’ve seen this in Africa multiple times.

Yes the country will benefit somewhat in the short term, but they are being raped no matter what spin you put on it.

Trump didn't ran away. In fact Pompeo has already visited Asean and Japan many times in this year alone. Under Trump, the US has pumps out more anti-china propagandas in Asia than Obama ever did. They even signed a military pack with Japan few months. But yet Japan still continues to strengthen its economic tie with China like many other Asian countries.

The truth is that the US isn't that important and simply can't control what's happening in Asia.

Trump absolutely ran away from any form of multilateral coordination. The ASEAN summit is a place for national leaders, and Pompeo's words held no clout. Trump completely undermined his own State Department with his rotating door and commentary. What's more he thought the US could strike "deals" with individual nations to counter China's increasing pressure and belligerence.
It was as much of a failure as Obama thinking he could counter it by moving US military forces to the region.

So your solution is to pray and hope for miracle?

They are. Yet countries are still flocking to them, including US allies. This new Bloc China formed is bigger than NAFTA or even EU. What are your actual plans to lure countries away from it other than "China bad"?
Not stealing IP

Trump absolutely ran away from any form of multilateral coordination. The ASEAN summit is a place for national leaders, and Pompeo's words held no clout. Trump completely undermined his own State Department with his rotating door and commentary. What's more he thought the US could strike "deals" with individual nations to counter China's increasing pressure and belligerence.
It was as much of a failure as Obama thinking he could counter it by moving US military forces to the region.
Trump is a big mouth idiot. But don't get that mistaken, what's coming out of his mouth doesn't reflect about his(or Pompeo) actual foreign policies in Asia. He may quit the TPP but the reality is that people heavily overestimated the power of the TPP.

Trump is dead silent on Russia, but in reality he's tougher on Russia than any other US president. If you look at Pompeo Twitter and his actions then you would realize that they have tried every way imaginable to stop China from strengthening their economic tie with other countries.

Do you know how we beat The Soviet Union?
We contained them. We strangled them into economic collapse. Obviously there is more nuance but essentially this is what we did.

China is expanding its markets largely unchecked. If we want to keep our hegemony we have to isolate China. It is the anti-thesis of freedom and Democracy. People don't believe this is a zero sum game.

Trump is a big mouth idiot. But don't get that mistaken, what's coming out of his mouth doesn't reflect about his(or Pompeo) actual foreign policies on Asia. He may quit the TPP but the reality is that people heavily overestimated the power and the upside od the TPP.

Trump is dead silent on Russia, but in reality he's tougher on Russia than any other president. If you look at Pompeo Twitter and his actions then you would realize that they have tried every way imaginable to stop China from strengthening their economic tie with other countries.

In this case it wasn't something he said at the summit, but the fact he didn't even go. Trump basically imitated the TPP with his bilateral agreement with Japan. The TPP may not have been enough, but individual deals were always going to fail.
It's not that the Trump administration lacked the will to counter China, it was just incompetent. By openly contradicting the state department, changing their leadership, losing long term diplomats, while openly questioning the value of long term alliances, Trump completely destroyed US diplomatic effectiveness and leadership. We didn't even get an ambassador from the US in Australia until March 2019.
The strategy of unilateralism and "decoupling" has already failed.
Globalisation is technologically and economically driven, not politically driven. There's no possibility of effectively shaping it simply by saying "no" and reverting to protectionism. Addressing bad actors like the CCP requires concerted action by the other major actors in the global economy, including alliances of smaller nations like ASEAN and certainly the EU.

Back