Chiesa's Mount

Toxxus

The Ancient One
@red
Reaction score
I thought Chiesa, in general, put on a pretty good show. However, I thought that first-round mount was really impressive. He was latched on like a professional bull rider.

It's unfortunate that a good mount game is so rare these days.

Agreed, he really does have a really strong and smothering mount.

It's also good to see someone get mount, posture up and unload huge punches and elbows, MMA needs more of it.

Trinaldo is a physically strong guy and all his shrimping and rolling couldn't even budge Chiesa.

It was nice to see for sure. He did a good job of adjusting his position to maintain pressure on Trinaldo.

I would say that strong top games are becoming less common for the reason that more and more wrestling-based fighters are starting to realize that they can get away with doing half the work (e.g. passing guard) simply by laying in their opponent's guard with the knowledge that judges will see no difference between that, and actually spending a round crushing your opponent from side control or mount.

Glover Teixeira has a crushing mount though, so does Maia.

People, sleep on Chiesa but the guy is good. Really strong grappling game, but his stand up does need work. He dropped the fuck out of Masvidal though. With some more work he can be a contender down the line. Would like to see him fight the Barboza/Dunham winner next.

I had no idea his mount was awesome. I'm surprised Rogan barely mentioned it.

There was some obvious signs of him working with Pyle. Chiesa mount last night was very similar to the style and strategy of Pyle against Walenburger.

I remember people talking about Chiesa as the worse TUF winner ever. He's been nothing but impressive even in defeat against Masvidal. Really loved how he'd lock Trinaldoto's arms up to drop those elbows.

Gunnar Nelson has one of the best mounts right now IMO.

It was nice to see for sure. He did a good job of adjusting his position to maintain pressure on Trinaldo.

I would say that strong top games are becoming less common for the reason that more and more wrestling-based fighters are starting to realize that they can get away with doing half the work (e.g. passing guard) simply by laying in their opponent's guard with the knowledge that judges will see no difference between that, and actually spending a round crushing your opponent from side control or mount.

Glover Teixeira has a crushing mount though, so does Maia.

Agreed.

Because in reality, keeping in guard staying 'busy' and running the clock down is equally going to win the round (and is safer/lower % with no upkicks from their opponent available or chip damage with heel strikes etc), and that's often what fighters are happy to do. And the system is constructed to basically encourage this, as 'control' is one of the criterias. If it didn't matter about 'top position' (or even position in general) and instead focused purely on damage and threat of being finished, you would ensure fighters aren't rewarded for sitting in guard (unless they were doing serious damage, i.e. the 'control' wouldn't not be rewarded).

Last edited:
I had no idea his mount was awesome. I'm surprised Rogan barely mentioned it.

This, Rogan sounded like full mount was some kind of shitty and precarious position when you are on top.

chiesa will do well, but i feel the really strong athletic fighters at 155 could be a problem, the bendos etc

It's unfortunate that a good mount game is so rare these days.

That's what I've been noticing for a very long time. Either everyone has polished their mount defense, or guys on top are very careful. Anyway, ppl usually don't do much damage in the mount.

he mounted trinaldo strong and pounded away but he just couldnt finish it from there.

he didnt even blow his wad. but just couldnt finish.

his overall jiujitsu game is strong, but trinaldo just isn't a technical grappler off his back. not to mention, he didn't have a lot of gas left to escape either.

There have been many threads asking a variant of "Who is the dark horse in X division...". The standard responses have been Gunnar (pretty much everyone who watches the sport acknowledges his potential) or Gastelum (mini-cain, has all the tools etc). Chiesa made me a lot of vcash which I have invested in a snooker match. I believe.

He has a very good mount. Massaranduba got too desperate though. People need to remember to properly position theri feet close to the butt before bridging.

Back