Chicago police under fire after 'bait truck' used to lure thieves

Amazing how many people are fine with this. I feel like most posters aren't actually familiar with the details.

What do you guys think about this? Do you support this method for catching thieves? Seems like it was intended to catch them in one particular area of town, but was placed in a lower income, predominantly black neighborhood.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45142145

Video posted on social media last week showed residents confronting police officers about a white unmarked truck.

Activists say it was filled with designer shoes and left partially open to entrap groups of young people.

But the police say the truck was used to target thieves who had been breaking into freight containers at a rail yard.

"At the end of the day, just because it's out there and it's not yours, that doesn't mean you're supposed to take it," police Superintendent Eddie Johnson said at a news conference on Thursday.
I love bait car videos. They make for great entertainment. And the entrapment excuse is bullshit, no one forced you to steal it. Now, if there's an undercover saying "hey bud, I'll pay you $1000 to steal that truck for me, that's a different story.

If this one was left open like the article says, then it's crossing a line I'm not comfortable with.

The cost of the van, the cost of the shoes, the cost of the manpower, etc. To bust criminals stealing $150 shoes. If they don't steal enough, you've only got a misdemeanor.

Catching thieves is certainly worthwhile but on a cost vs. return analysis, this isn't high on the list. By contrast, bait cars to catch car thieves makes more sense since the value of the stolen item is substantial.
What manpower cost? They aren't getting paid by the arrest, they're getting paid salary regardless of whether they're busting petty thieves or sitting at their desk doing paperwork. So long as this isn't an entire departments only focus, i don't see busting thieves as a waste.

W

What details are people missing?
The context is pretty specific, targeting a poor neighbourhood, tempting(taunting) people who can't afford kicks like that.

Chicago PD is (theoretically) trying to build a better relationship with the community. Tricks like this don't help.

Stealing shoes is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. This "operation" did more harm than good.

Charges against all 3 people were dropped.
etc.

You do thos type of sting when you need to up your arrest numbers as a police force. The people stealing the shoes will be added to the number of criminals arrested. When your city has 44 shooting in 24 hours. You shouldnt have for nonsense like this. So its the cynicism behind it i dont like

The context is pretty specific, targeting a poor neighbourhood, tempting(taunting) people who can't afford kicks like that.

Chicago PD is (theoretically) trying to build a better relationship with the community. Tricks like this don't help.

Stealing shoes is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. This "operation" did more harm than good.

Charges against all 3 people were dropped.
etc.
The whole tempting/taunting angle is nonsense. If it's not yours, don't take it, rich or poor alike.

I don't see why this would erode trust. They're not busting people for absolutely no reason. Petty theft hurts poor people pretty badly, getting people off the streets that are prone to taking someone else's shit should be applauded.

The whole tempting/taunting angle is nonsense. If it's not yours, don't take it, rich or poor alike.

I don't see why this would erode trust. They're not busting people for absolutely no reason. Petty theft hurts poor people pretty badly, getting people off the streets that are prone to taking someone else's shit should be applauded.
Did you miss the part about charges being dropped? So much for getting thieves off the street.

And is it really theft if no one really owns the shoes? Sounds almost like finding free shoes.

The whole thing is just stupid, and a counterproductive waste.

Did you miss the part about charges being dropped? So much for getting thieves off the street.

And is it really theft if no one really owns the shoes? Sounds almost like finding free shoes.

The whole thing is just stupid, and a counterproductive waste.
Yeah i saw it, it stinks of bowing to pressure. So in the end you're right, it was a waste. If you're not going to follow through and prosecute don't bother.

Yeah i saw it, it stinks of bowing to pressure. So in the end you're right, it was a waste. If you're not going to follow through and prosecute don't bother.
I don't mean to condone illegal behaviour, not really, I just think it is a wrong-headed way to fight crime.

Police shouldn't be encouraging criminality, period.

You do thos type of sting when you need to up your arrest numbers as a police force. The people stealing the shoes will be added to the number of criminals arrested. When your city has 44 shooting in 24 hours. You shouldnt have for nonsense like this. So its the cynicism behind it i dont like
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

Clearly, it is the fault of the police according to the dipshit alderman. City is full of crime, violence levels, and their biggest complaint is always the police.

Clearly, it is the fault of the police according to the dipshit alderman. City is full of crime, violence levels, and their biggest complaint is always the racist police.
ftfy
that's sarcasm

Last edited:
Fuck em . Same peeps that prob stumbled over each other to get the shoes are the same peeps who would rob you , beat u down and kill u for the shoes if u were wearing em .

Amazing how many people are fine with this. I feel like most posters aren't actually familiar with the details.

I'm baffled too. How you gonna make it so easy for criminals to commit a crime?

I don't mean to condone illegal behaviour, not really, I just think it is a wrong-headed way to fight crime.

Police shouldn't be encouraging criminality, period.

Yup. Typical ctrl-left.
They have to hand hold minorities to the polls and to commit crimes.

So a female that was raped while wearing some sexy, revealing outfit was tempting/taunting any sick rapist, and bitter, lonely male she comes across? She knows what she is doing, right? It will attract men's attention, she knows she looks good and wants to flaunt and highlight all of that. But there are rapists out there and even more out of shape losers, incels, bitter men that could never have a relationship with someone like her. So is it partly her fault?

What if she also went to a place with a lot of drunk men, a club where it's known horny men go to try and get laid?

Back