Chicago Open Results?

Awesome Job Ben. You should be proud. I got absolutely slammed with work and ended up not being able to go, completely bummed me out, but I am stoked that you performed so well.

That sucks man, but I understand. I'm sure with your busy tournament schedule you have other ones coming up soon. This one was really nicely done. Best tournament I've been too in the midwest (which is the only place I've been to tournaments).

Sounds good. Congrats to both of you guys again.

Ben, you really made that guy in your first match look out of his element.

I was really hoping you'd take his back or get the sweep in that last weight class match. Great work in absolute.

Thanks. I had some adrenaline going in the first match and was able to get on top and crush him pretty good. I could tell he didn't like my pressure, and he let me pass his guard to try to relieve it.

My finals match in my weight was awful. I performed miserably. I completely gassed out. I don't know if it was a lack of sleep (I never sleep good before tournaments), or lack of food (I barely ate the crappy hotel breakfast)...but I completed blew my load. I had poor strategy going for the guillotine in the beginning (I never use guillotines from standing, so I'm not sure what made me start then), and then I was unable to sweep him from deep half/x guard when I should have been able to.

I am probably going to make a thread breaking down my videos. Most people don't watch them, but I think it helps me work through my strategy and mistakes.

In absolute I felt great. A couple of us quick ran and got lunch after our divisions so we were nourished, rested, and felt great. I did awful and didn't expect much at my last blue belt absolute at the Arnolds. I took this a lot more seriously and expected to win, and did a lot better as a result.

Thanks for the props and checking out my vids. I will see you at the US Grappling if you go. Like Jeff, I think I'm going to pass on this next Naga.

I also have Ryan Hall's absolute match on tape. He had a sweet back take at the end to win it. I will post it on sherdog when I have time to get it uploaded.

also ben, I noticed you finished a few chokes from north-south but i couldn't see exactly what they were. is that a trademark move or could you elaborate on what it was?

It's just a cross choke, and it's not a secret.

It's hard to see on the videos, but I will try to explain it. You start off in side control (assume you are laying by the guys right arm and leg). You take your left hand and get a same side thumb in deep collar grip. You then walk past north south, all the way to the other side of his body (his left side in this instance). Your left arm maintains the grip. You then take your right arm and get a same side thumb in deep collar grip. You then walk back to north south to cinch the choke, and press you chest into him.

It's like a baseball bat choke, but with thumb in grips; and done from north south. Maybe I can find a video somewhere.

Looking at the list of medalists, it looks like the main LI school (Camp Springs) wasn't even in attendance. I think they were mostly guys from Crazy 88, with some others from Ivey League and Third Law (I don't really know people outside of my school, so I could be mistaken). It's nice to know that the people who smash me in practice are also smashing people out on the competition circuit. It helps a bit with the ego. :redface:

I wish I had it in me to compete at this level. It's just not in the cards at this point.

There were four Team LI Nashville guys that went and all medaled. We had a handful from Kentucky that competed and medaled as well.

I was at the event and caught your match with the Graciebarra guy and another match I believe it was against a black guy live! I tell you if I ever meet you in a tournament I would never ever jump guard! Your really good at shoulder pressure againt opponent's jaw and your collar chokes are awesome.

Winning first and second in this tournament is something to he proud of. I believe the competition at this tournament was slightly higher than the average Naga Chicago's.

What do the * mean next to some of the names on the results.

i think it's next to the names when there's only one person in the bracket?

i think it's next to the names when there's only one person in the bracket?

I think it means uncontested. If there is either one person in the bracket or you closed out the bracket (like Comprido over Ryan Hall in absolute adult blackbelt).

Anyone have video of any bien belt divisions? (especially leve and Pena)

Back