Cheyanne Buys: “I’ve been so broke my whole life because of this sport!”

Her big plight was she moved across the country with her husband and took "loans from people" (aka family).

I mean that's cool I guess but we have young kids doing that shit for AAU or private teams. She's a grown-ass adult already in the UFC.

Become a firefighter on the side, Dana just rented a yacht

And yet people wonder why guys like Fedor refused to work for Dana (or like Randy wanted to leave the UFC). On top of that, Dana often publicly insults fighters. For instance, he publicly insulted Fedor for years prior to the negotiations -- and then expected him to sign with him???? Only someone who is absolutely broke, or has zero self-respect would work for a boss like that.

Seriously, if a company you were negotiating with for work publicly insulted you, would you take the job or would you tell them to shove it up their ass and find work somewhere else? Most people would tell a boss who publicly insulted them to take a hike.

I'm not sure if she is complaining about MMA per se, but in most sports you earn pennies until you make to the big leagues. If you don't make it, you're screwed, you spent years honing a skill that has no application in real life. Even in sports with huge money like football (real) if you are in the lower leagues, you are not getting much and when you hit your mid or late 30s, that it, your career is over. You spent your best years kicking a ball and you then start from nothing at 40 years of age.

People bitch and moan that top athletes get tens or hundreds of millions, but tend to forget that for every Cristiano Ronaldo there are 10 000 guys (or probably more) who didn't make it. Sport is like the lottery, you have very slim chance of making it. But unlike the lottery, you don't bet a couple of dollars, you but your health.

Last edited:
And yet people wonder why guys like Fedor refused to work for Dana (or like Randy wanted to leave the UFC). On top of that, Dana often publicly insults fighters. For instance, he publicly insulted Fedor for years prior to the negotiations -- and then expected him to sign with him???? Only someone who is absolutely broke, or has zero self-respect would work for a boss like that.

Seriously, if a company you were negotiating with for work publicly insulted you, would you take the job or would you tell them to shove it up their ass and find work somewhere else? Most people would tell a boss who publicly insulted them to take a hike.

So 650 fighters, most world class MMA fighters, legends and pioneers - the best in the world are "broke, or have zero self-respect"?

Dana is doing something right.

Buys is an entry level fighter, 1-1 in the UFC, and she's earned around $87k this year. That would put her at around 210 on the Women's Tennis prizemoney list. Of course it would be fairer to exclude the bonus in which case she'd be closer to 290.

Thing is Buys is barely a top 100 female in the UFC women's roster, how much should she be earning at her level?

The same old tired "arguments" and "tough guy" acts and quotes to make excuses for a corporation and put someone down for wanting to simply afford to live.
Except when that corporation doesn't owe shit beyond honoring contracts.you think mma is a public service or?

MMA fighters don't know how good they got it and how lucky and blessed they are these days

I was heavily involved in King of the Cage events from 1999-2003 in rigging set-up, and the fighters who are not main-event got between $100 - $500 and 500 was the MAX, and I knew of a few fighters who begged and begged to fight on the card for free because they wanted to get their name out there and feet wet.

Bad example

This is her second fight in the UFC. The first one she won

She was broke because of fighting on the regional scene

A better example would be a UFC vet who has racked a lot fans/wins and is still broke

That still makes what she said true. She blamed the sport in general, not the UFC specifically.

Get a different job then. I've no sympathy for a hobbyist losing money, especially for a hobby I have no interest in watching them perform

How is this breaking news and getting so many pages? Y'all don't know how it is as an irrelvant fighter or what?

Last edited:
The entry level to enter UFC is waaaay lower to get into UFC than those major sports.

This girl had five fights on the regional scene and then lost her UFC debut then this is her second fight, why would she be getting paid big money?

A women in her 7th pro boxing fight wouldn't be getting paid half what this girl made.
People want to just rage against the machine. It’s an easy target to rage against.

She said it in the clip. She likes to buy "nice things" and has 2 pets. She's deluded. Sick off these sob stories. I've lived in poverty myself. REAL poverty, not this self inflicted struggle fighter life nonsense.

No doubt. The difference is men don't have anyone to bail them out and we don't get any sympathy. We have to pick ourselves up and overcome. Broads just whine and get bailouts from the govt and courts (divorce rape).

The amount of and extent to which fans defend abysmal fighter pay and bash fighters for complaining about it is both pathetic and sad.
When people rage against bad examples it doesn’t really help the cause though.

Reactions: lsa
She only had 6 Pro fights and her oby and other ufc fight she lost. She's a regional rookie, you're not gonna get the big bucks that early on. She should still be working on her skills.

I've no idea why their fight was Co main.

While I think it was insane to make her co-main over some of the the other fights on the card I assume it because they want to her name out there as they need some fresh talent her division.

In 2 of her 3 fights she has looked like she belonged in the UFC. The other fight she just got stuck in a headlock and couldn't escape. With striking like that if she continues to improve there won't be many women lining up to fight her.

It doesn't surprise me she got to the UFC more quickly as a lot of women start in the UFC with a similar number of fights. The talent pool just isn't as big at the moment so the UFC is trying to fix that.

While a lot of people complain at the UFC for short changing the stars and not giving Jones his 10 million I would love the UFC increase the minimum pay. Paying something 25/25 as a minimum gives people who win a legit chance to be able to afford to continue to dedicate themselves to improving, it also wouldn't have much of an effect on the UFC bottom line. At least she got the 50K bonus.

An example of what I was talking about.

just because you like MMA it doesn't mean that MMA fighters are entitled to more than what they signed for. Whyt about McDonalds' employees? What about the millions working for shit wage in the USA ?

Back