Cheyanne Buys: “I’ve been so broke my whole life because of this sport!”

I agree, it is all but impossible to make a living on the regional scene which is why some people coming into UFC have been fighting so regularly. The low pay just means you have to fight more.

But to be fair 10K + 10K for win for the co-main event is pretty pathetic. That is like 2 months pay for a decent paying job and you have all the extra costs with being a fighter like paying for camp. If she does the standard UFC fight twice a year that is only 40K a year. Not enough to live on let alone set yourself up for a life outside of fighting.

That was only the co main because 4 other fights that were listed as the co main were canceled. Do you even follow this sport?

Second, cry me a fucking river. It was her 2nd fight in the Ufc and her first win. Of course she's going to get paid poorly at the start. Most jobs pay shit when you first start

Reactions: lsa
Dana is that you?

48k per year for a pro athlete in what's meant to be the "big leagues" is ridiculous...

There are players in MLS (major league soccer) making under $30K a year.

Can someone point me to the rule that states if you're a professional athlete you should be a millionaire? Where is this entitlement coming from?

I mean, when you put it that way, I can kinda understand going the Only Fans route.

Kinda.

That was only the co main because 4 other fights that were listed as the co main were canceled. Do you even follow this sport?

Either way it was a still a bullshit choice for co-main.

They buried Jinn on the prelims, while they put Paula and Buys, both coming off losses, as co-main.

Funnily enough, Jinn was coming off a win over Paula herself lol.

Man I've been broke my whole life cause I can't live within my means...

Well partially true - I got wise and made sure I could slack on life and still live above my means...

50+ has been almost as fun as the first 50...

Back when Sam Alvey didn’t want a union because he was going to get that Conor money.

ECD05077-A761-4211-8F47-CDA461CA4EA8.jpeg

DangerousConsiderateCricket-size_restricted.gif
What the hell was the ref doing ?

I would wager most of the women are closer to being broke. Getting rich in the UFC is a pipe dream.
Most of them love in low cost states, it wouldn't be that expensive to live comfortably and set up residual income. The issue is probably more about how the money is spent. Are they buying a 2021 car or are they setting up a mortgage on 2nd home or paying off their 1st home. There's towns in PA where a 2 bedroom house is less than 100k. You get paid 20/20 and win the fight and 50 k bonus that's 90. After all ur shit let's say u take home 50k. You can pay off a third of a home and still have 20k to sit back on. I live in an expensive neighborhood in Manhattan with a child and I can make 10k last me several months. Dana is right its not a career it's an opportunity to make decent money fast and if ur smart make even more money off the back

Not true

UFC pays men and women equally. A TOP 5 WMMA fighters makes the same as a TOP 5 make fighter

Are you drunk? Doesn't seem like something you would post. -.- That isn't true at all, unless you're specifying two specific people. Pay is based on what the UFC agrees to pay you.

UFC Minimum is 12k not 10k and they also get additional 4K from Venum. And UFC contracts guarantee 3 fight offers a year not 2

Minimum would be 48k that assumes she loses all her fights. She could make 84,000 if she is able to win all her fights plus bonuses
Because everybody is a winner?

we all started martial arts because it was the fun , healthy , zen thing to do .Money never crossed my mind, there was no money to be made just a healthy competition. That being said prime elite athletes that create money deserve to be payed fairly

Maybe don't go into MMA then.

I agree UFC should pay more. But unless you're a champ or a star, you ain't making much compared to other sports.

UFC pays the most out of any MMA org. Bellator prelims are paying less than a grand in some fights.

UFC pays the most in this sport. But simple math is, don't go into MMA because the pay is garbage.
Also why do people forget this sport is kinda new? Check how long it took NFL players to get paid.

Broke because of this sport ?
Nope
You're broke because you don't manage money correctly relying on a single goal

Never rely on 1 source of income.
Never sit down and hope you make it big with out grinding in the current time.
Can she make lots ? Yes but you have to sacrafice now for a awesome future.
Don't blame the sport blame your current actions

I think he was asking the review official to see if that headkick was legal.

Not the best timing. Mark Smith is pretty incompetent IMO.

Yeah, the Smith looked totally clueless there.

While his head was turned for a good few seconds, that chick could have been out cold eating elbows.

Legal kick though, Anders did one and someone in Bellator did like 5 years ago. As they're getting up, boom, kick to the head as your hands come up.

Love it.

I think he was asking the review official to see if that headkick was legal.

Not the best timing. Mark Smith is pretty incompetent IMO.

I can imagine the review official was like

<Prem973>
“Watch the fucking fight man!”

Second, cry me a fucking river. It was her 2nd fight in the Ufc and her first win. Of course she's going to get paid poorly at the start. Most jobs pay shit when you first start

She hasn't just started. She has been a professional almost 4 years and been fighting since 2013.

It is irrelevant other co-mains were cancelled. UFC got the same amount of revenue for the event, basically it just means the event was more profitable for UFC. She was asked to act in that position and also do press and media for UFC in that capacity.

There are players in MLS (major league soccer) making under $30K a year.

Can someone point me to the rule that states if you're a professional athlete you should be a millionaire? Where is this entitlement coming from?

The minimum salary for a player in the senior squad is 81K by the collective bargaining agreement (this squad is 18-20 players and would be expected to perform the all the senior games if there are no injuries). Players outside the senior squad have a min 36K but also wouldn't train full time (and would get an increase if they played a number of senior games).

MLS isn't a terrible example to compare to UFC as it is only slightly bigger than UFC (1.2 billion revenue to UFC 900 million).

If you are a professional athlete in the pinnacle league for their chosen sport and the league is making almost a billion in revenue, being able to make a living isn't an unreasonable ask especially when there are so many costs involved in training for MMA seriously.

It is also her third fight, the DWCS fight was definitely under the UFC banner.

Back