Chessboxing World Championship

Better Every Day

Zhang finishing Andrade avatar
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure, you have a mean uppercut. But can you force a checkmate?

From article:
"Chessboxing, for those who haven’t already guessed, combines the two ancient sports of boxing and chess... into something new and exciting. In this 'sport of Kings' (and Queens, and Pawns) opponents attempt to defeat each other by 'hook or by rook' as they alternate between rounds of chess and boxing until victory comes by way of checkmate or knockout."

-MAG0923.jpg

BRAWN MEETS PAWN AT THE CHESSBOXING CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD
FIGHTLAND BLOG
By Charlie Gilmour

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/brawn-meets-pawn-at-the-chessboxing-championship-of-the-world

I didin't know this thing was still going. It was all over the news here in the Netherlands when they held the first match.

Ha!
Looks like a mod actually moved this thread OUT of the wasteland where I posted it. I wonder how often that happens!

I didin't know this thing was still going. It was all over the news here in the Netherlands when they held the first match.

This showed up today in my twitter feed, and I couldn't find a date on the article the first time I looked, so I just hoped that it showed up today because it was a current article. Now, looking harder for a date, I finally found one near the bottom of the page: 2014. So maybe this isn't still ongoing.

I wonder if you could teach a talented mid-level pro, one who couldn't make it to champion, but still was an exciting, promising prospect, defensive chess good enough to stall for JUST ONE ROUND of chess. Then it would go to boxing and he'd destroy EVERYONE in like, 14 seconds. People might start tuning in, giving the sport mass audience attention if they could get a name in there.

If they could come up with a computer generated algorithm for someone like Mayorga to stall for a guaranteed round of chess, that would be so awesome. Yeah, I think this is where former champions should go. A lot safer than staying in boxing well past your prime.

I wonder if you could teach a talented mid-level pro, one who couldn't make it to champion, but still was an exciting, promising prospect, defensive chess good enough to stall for JUST ONE ROUND of chess. Then it would go to boxing and he'd destroy EVERYONE in like, 14 seconds. People might start tuning in, giving the sport mass audience attention if they could get a name in there.

If they could come up with a computer generated algorithm for someone like Mayorga to stall for a guaranteed round of chess, that would be so awesome. Yeah, I think this is where former champions should go. A lot safer than staying in boxing well past your prime.

From what ive seen the trend usually actually swings the other pole: fight really cautiously and the chance of getting KOed is almost nil, whereas its a lot harder to 'stall' in chess as checkmate is pretty much inevitable as a game goes on.

Last edited:
I'd want to play ultra defensive chess and beat the brains out of my opponent

I've always wanted to try this. I'm an okay striker and was ~1900 in chess at my peak (better at blitz), I think I could do well.

Some of the guys who do this internationally are no joke though. There was one Bulgarian cat I saw who was like 2300 FIDE and had a pretty good amateur boxing career just eating guys up.

My dad would have ruled this sport in his prime lol

Back