1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Chess?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by lightw8, Sep 12, 2010.

1. lightw8

lightw8 Orange Belt

Anyone feel like playing chess or getting better at it will help your mental aspect of grappling? Just a thought.

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

I like to play BJJ chess instead.

3. GSparky

GSparky Green Belt

shockingly I'm pretty decent at chess. I can't say if it will help your BJJ by any means, but it obviously does make you think. If you ever sit back & study some of the chess books that are out there like "Chess Visualization Course" by Ian Anderson or read "My Great Predecessors Volumes 1-5" by Gary Kasparov, you really get to understand the psychology behind the game.

Also reading books like "The Amateur's Mind" by Jeremy Silman & "Chess for Tigers" by Simon Webb. These 2 books obviously deal with the psychology in chess & I do 100% believe that that could help you in any competition. You should read "Chess for Tigers."

4. koolinkunming

koolinkunming Silver Belt

I don't know for sure, but I think Joshua Waitzkin would say yes.

5. TrumpetDan

TrumpetDan Green Belt

When I was younger I played competitive chess for about 4 years or so. I think what translates the most is the learning process. Understanding how the learning (and teaching) process is similar across many activities is the biggest thing I got out of it. Some other things like clarity of mind under pressure can help. Learning how to compete at anything is important.

If you think of white belts that are good at SOMETHING...weather it is chess, music or whatever...they tend to learn at a greater pace than somebody who has never tried to excel in any sort of niche activity. Learning the learning process is important and chess can possibly teach you that.

6. lightw8

lightw8 Orange Belt

I noticed Im bad at chess...can never really plan more than one or two moves at a time, and wondering if getting better at chess would improve my strategy and mental capacity for grappling, thats all.

7. boboplata***

boboplata*** Banned Banned

royce taught us a chess like approach to sparring. you can only do one move at a time & wait for your partner to react. you can take your time weighing your options. it was like turn-based grappling.

8. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

I dunno, I think I'd prefer a game of Global Thermonuclear War.

9. Irenaeus

Irenaeus Black Belt

I really don't. I do think that a talent for planning several steps ahead will help you in both games, but that's about it.

10. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

I try not to think about BJJ as chess. I feel that thinking in terms of "your move, my move" makes me too reactive when I'd rather be proactive.

11. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I am pretty good at chess (USCF 1903), and ok at grappling, and I can say that chess is useless for grappling, other than for generating overused metaphors.

12. Neuro

Neuro Purple Belt

Yes.

13. VicDienekes

VicDienekes Green Belt

English Opening FTMFW.

14. koolinkunming

Ok, I gotta ask this for the sake of asking: are you Josh, or just agreeing with me?

I've always wondered how many of these guys with obscure user names are high ranking belts/well-known grapplers...

15. Gladstone

Gladstone Green Belt

Do video games count?

16. GSparky

GSparky Green Belt

I play the Ruy Lopez, it seems to be the easiest to understand for me. I don't play any crazy openings or defenses, just basic ones that are easily taught. I'm still going through the complete endgame course. From what I've been told, it's more important to train tactics & endgames, then middlegame, psychology & reviewing master games. After that, then find an opening that you enjoy & understand & learn as much about it as you can. Now it's starting to sound like BJJ. :D

17. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

Isnt Marcelo's #1 student the guy who they made the movie "Becoming Bobby Fisher" about??

18. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I think you can learn a lot about grappling by exploring parallels between it and many activities/philosophies/thought processes. Whether chess is like grappling or not, if you look at grappling from only the perspective of grappling, sometimes ones thinking gets stagnant. If you look outside of grappling for sources of inspiration, like from chess, or mathematics, or philosophy or skateboarding sometimes it sheds fresh light and a new perspective on the activity of grappling and how it's trained/learned/practiced.

While I'm actually really terrible at chess, I've been studying it a bit to give a new perspective to my grappling. I've been skateboarding my whole life and I can't do a lot of the tricks that I used to do anymore, so I've been using the training methods that I learn in grappling to influence the way that I approach skateboarding. I used to do Tai chi and other related arts years ago and I still use a lot of training methods and philosophies from that practice to influence my grappling.

While I'm only a decent grappler at best, a decent skateboarder and a god awful chess player; I think the influence of each of these experiences makes the other arts/activities much richer than they otherwise would be.

19. GSparky

GSparky Green Belt

20. koolinkunming

Yeah, that's the guy I mentioned, Josh Waitzkin. Searching for Bobby Fischer was the movie.