Checking Kicks w/ Kneecap?

CaptHANDSUP

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I was trying to check more with the upper part of my knee since a lot of people are saying its better. But I think it often ends up making contact with the middle or lower part of my kneecap (but my kneecap is not loose since my leg is not extended). I also checked thigh teeps this way (with my leg perhaps a little more extended).

My knees are a tiny bit sore. Is checking like this bad for your knee short term or long term? Perhaps arthiritis?

It is below the knee that is the best place for checks IMO. Strongest part of lower leg. Knee cap can be a delicate thing.

Don't block anything with your actual knee cap. It's the thick bone under the knee you should block with.

I will definitely have to try and contact the lower part right below the knee itself. I feel checking like this for a long time would damage your knees.

Don't block anything with your actual knee cap. It's the thick bone under the knee you should block with.

That was generally my aim but sometimes I wouldn't raise it up enough and he kick would either hit the knee cap or slide off it. Should I just concentrate on raising my checking leg more?

That was generally my aim but sometimes I wouldn't raise it up enough and he kick would either hit the knee cap or slide off it. Should I just concentrate on raising my checking leg more?
Yeah, personally I'd rather lift my leg a little too high and have it slide of my shin than be hit in the knee cap.

Edit: best would be to get better timing of course.

Aside from the risk to your kneecap you risk the kick just skimming over the top as you have discovered. Not only could you damage your kneecap but also it's likely you'll catch your patella tendon and that's not nice either. Aim below the tibial tuberosity, there's a nice natural notch which helps to catch the kick as it comes in.
child_knee_osgood_anatomy01.jpg

It seems like a good idea. But this week I accidentally checked a kick with my knee and it hurt so probably not a good idea.

So during sparring your checking kicks with your knees, am I reading that right?

I was trying to check more with the upper part of my knee since a lot of people are saying its better. But I think it often ends up making contact with the middle or lower part of my kneecap (but my kneecap is not loose since my leg is not extended). I also checked thigh teeps this way (with my leg perhaps a little more extended).

My knees are a tiny bit sore. Is checking like this bad for your knee short term or long term? Perhaps arthiritis?

When people check my thigh teeps the very next time I aim to push the top of their leg down so it makes them stomp basically then I jab immediately after. :icon_twis

I don't see the problem as long as they're both wearing good shin guards.

Kicking a knee is the same as punching an elbow. If somebody is purposely trying to block a shin with their knee during sparring, they're being a dick. If your exact enough to check with the point of the knee, your exact enough to check with the top of your shin guard and adjust during a match.

The knee cap is not a good place to check with. Tibial tuberosity is much better.

Study show that without knee caps in the adolescent and young adult, it does not really hinder their daily life. However when they get old that's when problems come up.

The knee cap is not a good place to check with. Tibial tuberosity is much better.

Study show that without knee caps in the adolescent and young adult, it does not really hinder their daily life. However when they get old that's when problems come up.

Huh???

Am i missing something here...

Why wouldnt you check with the upper most part of your shin where its the widest and strongest..

Connecting knees when you throw kicks at the same time is a bitch. No idea whyd you aim to get that feeling everytime you blocke a dudes kick.

So during sparring your checking kicks with your knees, am I reading that right?

Not with the actual knee itself but still too high sometimes for the kneecap. My aim wasn't to actually block with the kneecap but I would sometimes accidentally use it. The strange thing is that my left knee is mostly sore but I was mostly checking with my right leg.

Back