Check out my Sparring

Here's a more recent video of my sparring session. This was in last month and the second guy is the same guy I sparred with in the video in the OP. I sparred a total of five rounds this day but was only able to get the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The text I inserted is incorrect.

Thoughts and insight will be greatly appreciated.

Here's a more recent video of my sparring session. This was in last month and the second guy is the same guy I sparred with in the video in the OP. I sparred a total of five rounds this day but was only able to get the 2nd and 3rd rounds. The text I inserted is incorrect.

I like your style. You busted some pretty slick moves on the first guy. Specially the move at 2:34, when you shift your feet on the inside and throw the left hook. Tyson did a version of that move alot. Do you have wrestling experience by any chance?

the lack of balance might be because you seem to lose his center line slightly when you move in close

I like your style. You busted some pretty slick moves on the first guy. Specially the move at 2:34, when you shift your feet on the inside and throw the left hook. Tyson did a version of that move alot. Do you have wrestling experience by any chance?

Thanks. That's a maneuver I practice a lot on the bag, although I have a hard time pulling it off regularly in sparring. I don't have wrestling experience although I did do some judo.

dont have much knowledge about boxing but watching this make me glad im doing Muay Thai. nothing against boxing...i just dont like getting punched in the face THAT much.

A Nak Muay working in lots of Boxing works very well against pure Muay Thai fighters. Certain Boxing techs you shouldn't do, such as dipping too low and get kneed in the face...but I usually dominate with the hands vs. MT's my level. I keep pressuring with the hands b/c I don't like getting kicked in the leg.

Thanks. That's a maneuver I practice a lot on the bag, although I have a hard time pulling it off regularly in sparring. I don't have wrestling experience although I did do some judo.

It's a pretty basic pivot. One of the reasons you have difficulty pulling it off is because your head is still too far forward on the inside. In fact, that's the MAIN reason you had any difficulties doing things with these two guys.

Not to say you didn't do well, because you did. But just where you need improvement. Your head is over your left foot pretty much 95% of the time or more. The first guy, you're fortunate he didn't have an uppercut. However, he did manage to nullify you by pulling you or letting you fall into clinches to stop your inside work. The ONLY room you ever had space to punch was underneath, and if he stepped back, or you did, then you could go up top. If you learn to pull to your back foot a bit, you'll have space to punch wherever you want.

The second guy did what I wished the first guy would have, ran you into uppercut after uppercut. Again, you're fortunate he was also so front foot heavy because there wasn't anything really on those uppercuts, or his short right hands, so you just keep going regardless. But that you were vulnerable to getting hit by them should show you...it's not a good idea to simply lean forward with your head in the middle and rely on offense for defense.

That said, I really like your work rate, when you do use upper-body movement defensively to get close, your commitment to body work, and that you apply so much pressure.

Yeah, SOME sort of art where you throw someone. I could kind of tell, because some of the steps and movements you used in close are the same ones used to throw someone. You do it at 2:23 too, it's the same circular steps you take to lateral toss someone. But instead you guy's aren't tied up, and it ends in a punch instead of a throw. The execution is the same though.

3.gif

Just thought it was interesting. You can almost tell when someone has had some sort of grappling experience. They utilize their opponents momentum while taking those circle steps. While the ones with no experience just either pull and push or use their strength.

great video and good to see Korean boxers...looks like you had a pretty good foundation going. i like your work rate.

i'm actually looking for a gym in Korean to train at while i'm there vacationing. my main thing is muay thai, but a friend of mine does boxing out there at a gym near yangjae? i think that's where he's at...would love to find out about more places to train

It's a pretty basic pivot. One of the reasons you have difficulty pulling it off is because your head is still too far forward on the inside. In fact, that's the MAIN reason you had any difficulties doing things with these two guys.

Not to say you didn't do well, because you did. But just where you need improvement. Your head is over your left foot pretty much 95% of the time or more. The first guy, you're fortunate he didn't have an uppercut. However, he did manage to nullify you by pulling you or letting you fall into clinches to stop your inside work. The ONLY room you ever had space to punch was underneath, and if he stepped back, or you did, then you could go up top. If you learn to pull to your back foot a bit, you'll have space to punch wherever you want.

The second guy did what I wished the first guy would have, ran you into uppercut after uppercut. Again, you're fortunate he was also so front foot heavy because there wasn't anything really on those uppercuts, or his short right hands, so you just keep going regardless. But that you were vulnerable to getting hit by them should show you...it's not a good idea to simply lean forward with your head in the middle and rely on offense for defense.

That said, I really like your work rate, when you do use upper-body movement defensively to get close, your commitment to body work, and that you apply so much pressure.

Yeah I realized that I had to step back and give ground in order to create space to punch. By pulling the back foot, you mean shifting more weight on it, right? I'm going to have to keep that in mind next time I think about pivoting. I find myself yelling in my head "pivot! Pivot!" but for some reason not being able to. Should've guessed it was my head positioning.

By the way, the second guy is the #3 ranking Bantamweight in the country and we're fighting in the same event (not eachother) interestingly enough.

Yeah, SOME sort of art where you throw someone. I could kind of tell, because some of the steps and movements you used in close are the same ones used to throw someone. You do it at 2:23 too, it's the same circular steps you take to lateral toss someone. But instead you guy's aren't tied up, and it ends in a punch instead of a throw. The execution is the same though.

Just thought it was interesting. You can almost tell when someone has had some sort of grappling experience. They utilize their opponents momentum while taking those circle steps. While the ones with no experience just either pull and push or use their strength.

I actually learned those steps in boxing. I didn't train judo very long and I wasn't that good at it. But I agree the principles are the same. I find it easier to punch or push (knock off balance) if I'm in superior angle. It must be the same if I'm trying to pull them or throw them.

i'm actually looking for a gym in Korean to train at while i'm there vacationing. my main thing is muay thai, but a friend of mine does boxing out there at a gym near yangjae? i think that's where he's at...would love to find out about more places to train

There are plenty of muay thai places here, although not as much as boxing it seems like. Yangjae is pretty far from where I am though.

I actually learned those steps in boxing. I didn't train judo very long and I wasn't that good at it. But I agree the principles are the same. I find it easier to punch or push (knock off balance) if I'm in superior angle. It must be the same if I'm trying to pull them or throw them.

Either way, it shows good instinct.

You've got a aesthetically pleasing style to watch, good sparring man.

There are plenty of muay thai places here, although not as much as boxing it seems like. Yangjae is pretty far from where I am though.

word...i've heard muay thai has only started to pick up in the past few years. i wish Korea had a yelp...lol. naver is damn confusing for me.

i'll be in gumi for a week and seoul - most likely gangnam the next. tryna find places to train

Yeah I realized that I had to step back and give ground in order to create space to punch. By pulling the back foot, you mean shifting more weight on it, right? I'm going to have to keep that in mind next time I think about pivoting. I find myself yelling in my head "pivot! Pivot!" but for some reason not being able to. Should've guessed it was my head positioning.

By the way, the second guy is the #3 ranking Bantamweight in the country and we're fighting in the same event (not eachother) interestingly enough.

It's a tough thing to learn in the beginning. But I could give you an idea of how it could increase your effectiveness. Check out these two videos. The first one, the kid with the Mexican flag headgear, he's a young Pro out of our Gym who is a pressure fighter. Watch how he pulls back at optimal times to make space, or increase his defensive liability. Somewhere in this video I tell the opponent to do the same thing, not fall in with his head, and make space:

Then here's another example. I recently took on a young Pro trying to rehabilitate his career. He's also a pressure fighter. Now, he's got a lot of liabilities I need to correct, but one thing he does know how to do is pull back enough to be defensively liable. Mind-you, the kid he's sparring here has over 200 Amateur fights and is signed to a promotional deal with 50 Cent (my guy is the shorter white kid):

The object is to allow them to get inside with no fear of being hit, and to STAY inside with no real fear of being hit. They learn to find space when there is no space.

What I am seeing is that your leaning forward in a way as to be bending your back forward when you come in. What you need to be doing is keeping your posture straight, part of that is keeping your back straight and lowering your base instead of bending forward. I think your confusing the two thinking that the first is infighting.

In reality look at a guy like mike Tyson, the guy had a low center of gravity but he always had great base and balance, he wasn't crouching forward, he still had his weight between his toes, it's just that he lowered his base. You do that with your knees and your hips, not your back. The reason why is because you need to keep your balance, if you're leaning over yourself you lose balance and you can't move around as freely as you would like. You want to have head movement, ability to move quickly at a moment's notice, and also protect your head behind your shoulders and guard, you can't do that when you're stumbling forward, it makes you vulnerable to counter attacks, your opponent should have been pivoting off of you and countering you, and because you're off balance I don't think you would have been able to react in time. Keep your balance, don't confuse infighting with leaning forward with your back.

Watch mike Tyson move here, he's always perfectly balanced even though he is coming forward and lowering his base, despite this he understands that he cannot do all his defensive manoeuvers if he is not balanced, he needs that to use his peekaboo style of fighting. Theu key here is he ALWAYS keeps his hips and legs underneath of him.

Last edited:
Sinister, I see what you mean. I was particularly impressed with the white guy in the second video. Watching your guys makes me feel rudimentary. Wish I was rich and could visit you in Vegas. I'm going to try pulling back on my hooks inside next time I spar.

My trainer wants me to put more weight forward but he criticizes me when he feels I'm too forward. I have an issue with putting too much weight in a particular direction and losing balance. I sometimes do it while hitting the bag although I've gotten better. I wish somebody recorded my last sparring session with this amateur kid so you can see what I'm doing wrong because I was getting pushed back when I shifted my weight backwards. In the video, it was putting too much weight forward.

The tile exercise would help with this right?

word...i've heard muay thai has only started to pick up in the past few years. i wish Korea had a yelp...lol. naver is damn confusing for me.

i'll be in gumi for a week and seoul - most likely gangnam the next. tryna find places to train

Wish I could help you. Muay Thai gyms are around but I don't personally know of any. Gangnam is also an expensive and pretty pretentious area in my opinion though.

Yes indeed Tile Exercise will tell you everything.

/***quotechop***/

1. Then here's another example. I recently took on a young Pro trying to rehabilitate his career. He's also a pressure fighter. Now, he's got a lot of liabilities I need to correct, but one thing he does know how to do is pull back enough to be defensively liable. Mind-you, the kid he's sparring here has over 200 Amateur fights and is signed to a promotional deal with 50 Cent (my guy is the shorter white kid):

2. The object is to allow them to get inside with no fear of being hit, and to STAY inside with no real fear of being hit. They learn to find space when there is no space.

Enjoyed watching Fighter No. 2. Two brief comments....

1. I'm not sure what you mean about him knowing enough to, "...pull back enough to be defensively liable." Taking on this kind of fighter means multiple actions on the part of the karateka....

2. Getting inside with No fear of being hit? Staying inside with no fear of being hit?
He gets clocked several times by the taller fighter.... The finding... "space where there is no space..." sounds like myself when I'm up to no good-------ha ha....

>>> Wait, I got it!!!! Now I know for sure you did watch the "HIgh KIck Girl" clip I posted***....

TheKarateStylist

P.S. He's definitely 'liable.' :icon_surp

***Always knew it in my heart.... :icon_conf

Back