Cheating my Deadlift?

Back to the topic, have any of you tried the hook grip? I was taught it by an olympic lifter, and its allowed me to DOUBLE the weight I can hold. You basically hook the bar with your thumb, then grip your fingers over the thumb. It takes getting used to but it works.

Hook grip was something I hated for along time because of it's association with Oly, but it really is an outstanding way to grip once you get used to it.

A few PLers I know are working on their hook by doing all their warm-ups hooked, and only switching to mixed on their top sets (with the hope of getting used to the hook grip).

Another tip on the hook: Many Oly lifters file their thumbails so they're rougher, and they can get a better grasp on the thumb. Athletic tape works as well (although any tape on the hands is illegal in PL without a ref's OK, I dunno about OL).

CarnalSalvation said:
A few PLers I know are working on their hook by doing all their warm-ups hooked, and only switching to mixed on their top sets (with the hope of getting used to the hook grip).

Can't you use a mixed hook grip?

I've never used a hook grip, but I'm going to try it tomorrow on deadlift day. My small hands and grip strength have always been the limiting factor for DL's. Invariably, I end up having to use straps for my heaviest sets.

The whole idea of using a hook grip is to get the kind of grip security you do with a mixed grip, only with a double overhand style. It's nearly a neccesity in OL (moving fairly heavy weights THAT fast requires the hands to be able to resist a ton of force), and for PLers it would cut down on bicep tears big time. Bicep tears are one of the most common injuries for PLers/strongmen. It's usually related to excessive steroid use and lack of curling, especially in the case of powerlifters. Strongmen may be just as jacked, but they do curls, however, they also put their biceps in much more vulnerable positions than a PLer ever does in competition.

The hook grip essentially turns your thumb into a lifting strap. There isn't really a need to use a mixed grip with the thumb hook in, but it does take a few weeks to get used to the hook grip. You should still chalk your hands first and you can also wrap some tape around the thumbs so you won't tear them up when using heavy weights.

Back