Cheapest source of protein?

Organ meat. It isn't eaten enough, and is often cheaper than regular cuts of meat. Otherwise, wufabufa has covered a lot of info.
I can't agree strongly enough. Organ meat is cheap, tasty (if you know what you're doing) and the absolute best source for a number of key micro-nutrients. I've always eaten liver, the occasional bit of kidney and made my own bone-broth but I've started to broaden things this past month. I'm now having heart occasionally, I have bone marrow in the fridge, some pigs trotters (amongst other things) are being delivered tomorrow and I'm going to try my hand at making black (blood) pudding this weekend.

I can't agree strongly enough. Organ meat is cheap, tasty (if you know what you're doing) and the absolute best source for a number of key micro-nutrients. I've always eaten liver, the occasional bit of kidney and made my own bone-broth but I've started to broaden things this past month. I'm now having heart occasionally, I have bone marrow in the fridge, some pigs trotters (amongst other things) are being delivered tomorrow and I'm going to try my hand at making black (blood) pudding this weekend.

If you hunt, the lungs are a great source of vitamin C. You likely wont find this at your butcher shop. Although this diagram is for beef, it will be similar enough for moose/deer/elk. Do not let it hit the dirt, lung tissue is porous so if there is any bacteria it will get absorbed quickly. This is why it isn't typically for sale, unless it comes from small scale butchers who can hang the carcass whilst gutting and quartering and ensure it doesn't end up on the floor.
https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Beef+Lungs+Braised/18134

If you hunt, the lungs are a great source of vitamin C. You likely wont find this at your butcher shop. Although this diagram is for beef, it will be similar enough for moose/deer/elk. Do not let it hit the dirt, lung tissue is porous so if there is any bacteria it will get absorbed quickly. This is why it isn't typically for sale, unless it comes from small scale butchers who can hang the carcass whilst gutting and quartering and ensure it doesn't end up on the floor.
https://www.fitbit.com/foods/Beef+Lungs+Braised/18134
I'm from the UK so no, hunting's not a thing over here. I do eat lung occasionally, it's a traditional ingredient in haggis so pretty readily available (I've never seen it sold on it's own in a butchers though). I saw some honeycomb tripe in the supermarket the other day so will likely try that at some stage. Thymus and pancreas on the other hand aren't very easy to get hold of over here unfortunately.
I draw the line at penis and testicle, and I don't like the idea of brain either...

I'm from the UK so no, hunting's not a thing over here. I do eat lung occasionally, it's a traditional ingredient in haggis so pretty readily available (I've never seen it sold on it's own in a butchers though). I saw some honeycomb tripe in the supermarket the other day so will likely try that at some stage. Thymus and pancreas on the other hand aren't very easy to get hold of over here unfortunately.
I draw the line at penis and testicle, and I don't like the idea of brain either...

I'm not a fan of brains or privates either but i'll eat most organs otherwise. If i had a garage, my next deer i'd split every large bone for marrow possible. As it stands i can only do the main 4. Also sucks the liver of deer in my area is high in cadmium some how, likely due to shitty fertilizers in farm fields.

I'm not a fan of brains or privates either but i'll eat most organs otherwise. If i had a garage, my next deer i'd split every large bone for marrow possible. As it stands i can only do the main 4. Also sucks the liver of deer in my area is high in cadmium some how, likely due to shitty fertilizers in farm fields.
That's a shame re the liver, heavy-metal pollution is so common nowadays.
Marrow is so tasty, and really easy to cook. It's also very cheap over here - pretty much everything is aside from muscle meat (with less and less people eating organs).

With all of the new battery tech and demand for raw materials Canada has a shit ton of mines specializing in rare earth metals. Do you know of any big mines close to where you live?

With all of the new battery tech and demand for raw materials Canada has a shit ton of mines specializing in rare earth metals. Do you know of any big mines close to where you live?

In my specific area, 0. A lot of agriculture though.

Where i grew up hunting there is a mine every 25 miles or so, one city has like 5 major ones. But it was never an issue until the last several years according to the research from the hunting regulations. Sad because i hate wasting the liver, even though some coyote will eat it within an hour or so.

Bruh, just buy some chicken breast. $2-$3 a lb, is around 25% protein by weight, and you can prepare it in a variety of ways. Eggs, whey and legumes are good as well. Did you read your own link? There’s plenty of 3rd party testers for powders if that’s a concern for you. You can probably get all the protein you need for about $3-$6 a day or less combining those sources. Don’t overthink it.

Last edited:
It looks like chickpeas are the cheapest source of protein, though I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas before lol.

Any suggestions for cheapest source of protein in your own experience? Thanks!
check out peanut butter as well. I don't know how the cost per unit compares to eggs/chicken, but it has a good protein to fiber ratio of 7g protein to 2g of fiber. like others mentioned some beans/lentils have very high amount of fiber.

Thank you! but thing about eggs is that I hear mixed things about how many eggs that you can eat heathily...so that's one thing I guess I love eggs though lol

yeah...google says they are cheap...but didn't know they were so high in calories wtf..it's almost sumo diet or something didn't think something like that would be so high in calories, maybe it's juts bulk food that' cheap...I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas...
I eat eggs EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Not getting fat.
Cholesterol is fine.
Feeling great.

Eggs are perfectly healthy, despite the high fat %. The ppl who want you to believe that animal fat is unhealthy are the same ones who scammed the world into consuming loads of SUGAR. Look it up.

Here's a piece about how great eggs are:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/good-eggs-for-nutrition-theyre-hard-to-beat#1

Thymus is a delicacy where I live - and in many European countries. Had it a couple times - when done right, it is heavenly! :D

I eat eggs EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Not getting fat.
Cholesterol is fine.
Feeling great.

Eggs are perfectly healthy, despite the high fat %. The ppl who want you to believe that animal fat is unhealthy are the same ones who scammed the world into consuming loads of SUGAR. Look it up.

Here's a piece about how great eggs are:
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/good-eggs-for-nutrition-theyre-hard-to-beat#1
I've been eating a lot of duck eggs lately which are even better than chicken eggs IMO (although I do love a good free range chicken egg too).

I've been eating a lot of duck eggs lately which are even better than chicken eggs IMO (although I do love a good free range chicken egg too).
Never tried duck eggs - do they taste different?

Green vegetables like broccoli are obviously good for you and have surprising amounts of protein, good to put them in meals.
Peanut butter
Chicken
Soy Milk if you're into it has 30g in 1 litre thats 59p here for 30g protein. Probably translates to 40 cents or whatever in america, or just have milk
Wholeweat Pasta
Oats

Eat those throughout the day and you're good granted you meet your caloric goals, unless you're Ronnie Coleman or something

I mean, is anyone in this thread/forum living in a 3rd world country?

I fail to see how this is even a question to be honest. Cans of tuna, cans of sardines and mackerel and shit like that. Cheapest chicken meat, beef, deli meats, etc. It's not going to be that expensive at all even getting regular ground beef and chicken breast is it?

If you're going really ghetto the canned fishes, maybe even getting cheapest cuts of fish at a deli. Tuna is obviously a classic.

You can get 11lb bags of unflavored protein from myprotein (without a sale) for 100-110 bucks, that's not an awesome price but it's pretty fucking good. That's like 200 protein shakes, 100 double scoops or more. That's going to get you 3+ months of hitting 50-60 grams of protein w/milk in one drink alone (double scooped). Easy as fuck to hit protein goals with that and it's clearly not prohibitive.

That article on the "dangers of protein powders" is fucking retarded too lmao. Yeah no shit if you buy a sketchy ass source maybe, but there's lab testing on a lot of brands. It's safe, it's fucking protein.

This shit isn't rocket science. Also TS you never even specified your goals. Are you vegan or something? because chickpeas is a dogshit source unless you're some vegan lord.

Eggs, Milk, canned Tuna/Mackerel/Sardines, cheapest chicken/beef/turkey meats. Whey protein isn't even cheap but at a 70-110 dollar price point to get 400-500 grams of it in an 11b unflavored bag, I mean....you really have to be in abject poverty for that not to be a pretty reasonable cost.

For cheap? Eggs and canned tuna to be sure.

If you can upgrade at all I seriously recommend steak and salmon. If you can get thin sliced top sirloin it's amazing. Put it in an airtight glassware or even a ziplock with olive oil and worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and let it soak while you're at work or working out. Then use a flat iron skillet on medium/high for a minute or two. It's easy and it's delicious.

For salmon I put on salt, red pepper, paprika, garlic on each side and again, put it in a skillet with olive or sesame oil. If you want some sugar put a little bit of honey in the oil, cook it on low/medium. It makes a hardened glaze that's not too sweet.

I think if you're paying attention to sales at your grocery store and to how much you're eating, steak and salmon, but more so steak, are about as cheap as it gets

Back