Cheapest source of protein?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
It looks like chickpeas are the cheapest source of protein, though I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas before lol.

Any suggestions for cheapest source of protein in your own experience? Thanks!

In theory you might be able to get away with that but you'd be better off with something that's proven to be more complete in it's protein score. Think something like eggs, beef, fish, or chicken. The amount of incidental carbs you'd be ingesting to hit your protein requirements(1g per lb of bodyweight as you said muscle building is your goal in your other thread) would push you far over your calories for the day. You'd need about 12 cups of chickpeas to hit 150 grams of protein.....that's about 2700-2800 calories already. At that point you still haven't hit your fat macros and are deficient in a multitude of micronutrients.

And then there's the fiber problem. You'd be eating over 100g of soluble fiber in one day......your guts will be screaming/sputtering diarrhea all day long. To me that would be the biggest negative. Maybe you can handle it, but I would think the average person would try this for a day or two and realize it's not sustainable not just in terms of overall health, but also in terms of taste and palatability.

I like the egg suggestion. If you intend on stuffing nothing but legumes into your body you should really think about adding in a few eggs or some cheaper cuts of meat so you at least get some B vitamins into your diet. Good luck.

Nutricost Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavored) 5LBS on Amazon.

you can get a 5lb tub of isolate for $45. Here comes the “JuSt EaT FOod” crowd” that trains never late. If you work offshore like me or been in the military you’re at the mercy of whatever they cook in the kitchen. So this is my go to esp, if you don’t feel like shoveling down food at all hours.

same applies to greens I know I don’t get enough veggies so I take simple greens, just mix it and slam it (taste like shit). I’m not saying don’t eat foods high in proteins, but a lot of times there isn’t an option too.

Nutricost Whey Protein Isolate (Unflavored) 5LBS on Amazon.

you can get a 5lb tub of isolate for $45. Here comes the “JuSt EaT FOod” crowd” that trains never late. If you work offshore like me or been in the military you’re at the mercy of whatever they cook in the kitchen. So this is my go to esp, if you don’t feel like shoveling down food at all hours.

same applies to greens I know I don’t get enough veggies so I take simple greens, just mix it and slam it (taste like shit). I’m not saying don’t eat foods high in proteins, but a lot of times there isn’t an option too.

Thanks! but things like me makes me bit weary about eating protein powders

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-hidden-dangers-of-protein-powders

In theory you might be able to get away with that but you'd be better off with something that's proven to be more complete in it's protein score. Think something like eggs, beef, fish, or chicken. The amount of incidental carbs you'd be ingesting to hit your protein requirements(1g per lb of bodyweight as you said muscle building is your goal in your other thread) would push you far over your calories for the day. You'd need about 12 cups of chickpeas to hit 150 grams of protein.....that's about 2700-2800 calories already. At that point you still haven't hit your fat macros and are deficient in a multitude of micronutrients.

And then there's the fiber problem. You'd be eating over 100g of soluble fiber in one day......your guts will be screaming/sputtering diarrhea all day long. To me that would be the biggest negative. Maybe you can handle it, but I would think the average person would try this for a day or two and realize it's not sustainable not just in terms of overall health, but also in terms of taste and palatability.

I like the egg suggestion. If you intend on stuffing nothing but legumes into your body you should really think about adding in a few eggs or some cheaper cuts of meat so you at least get some B vitamins into your diet. Good luck.

Thank you! but thing about eggs is that I hear mixed things about how many eggs that you can eat heathily...so that's one thing I guess I love eggs though lol

yeah...google says they are cheap...but didn't know they were so high in calories wtf..it's almost sumo diet or something didn't think something like that would be so high in calories, maybe it's juts bulk food that' cheap...I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas...

I was wondering this too... bout to subscribe to this thread and find out what the answer is

It looks like chickpeas are the cheapest source of protein, though I'm not sure if I ever had chickpeas before lol.

Any suggestions for cheapest source of protein in your own experience? Thanks!
Eggs.
Tinned fish like mackeral/sardines which are really cheap then tuna which is a bit more expensive.
Frozen basa fish is good value (basically cheap cod alternative).
Frozen prawns/shrimp.
Skimmed milk.
Protein powder (which is perfectly healthy don't believe the bullshit).

Ultimately though if you want good results you are going to have to put in some money. I only eat meat from the butcher now as opposed to cheap supermarket/frozen stuff and it definitely makes a difference. Red meat all the way especially wild/game meats if possible (I eat a lot of venison and rabbit).

Thanks! but things like me makes me bit weary about eating protein powders

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-hidden-dangers-of-protein-powders

plus that article is goofy. It says you may have a lactose intolerance problems to powders. Then at the end of the article states to drink milk and try yogurt with it wtf?! Also advices against powders in milk or a smoothie. In 20 yrs I’ve always mixed my powders with water, I’m not doing it for the taste. Sounds like a shill for the dairy industry. Also that’s why I recommend isolate, concentrate is full of fillers that make me feel bloated.

i think its soy protein isolate but if u dont like soy products stick to whey

plus that article is goofy. It says you may have a lactose intolerance problems to powders. Then at the end of the article states to drink milk and try yogurt with it wtf?! Also advices against powders in milk or a smoothie. In 20 yrs I’ve always mixed my powders with water, I’m not doing it for the taste. Sounds like a shill for the dairy industry. Also that’s why I recommend isolate, concentrate is full of fillers that make me feel bloated.
I buy Magnum Quattro whey isolate and have never had an issue and I mix it with milk all the time. Granted it's $70 for four pounds, but it's some of the cleanest stuff money can buy.

and who gives a fuck about the "just eat food" crowd. Protein powder is a supplement and should be treated as such. If you can't like you mentioned, eat enough protein in a day, it's a great way to make up the difference. Not to mention if you are trying to eat in a deficit is a great substitute for a meal. You gotta do what you gotta do to hit your macros. If you can do that without eating protein powder... wonderful.

Strange that nobody mentioned lentils, they tend to have high amounts of protein and are pretty cheap. Red/Pink lentils have about 25g of protein per 100g, which is more than eggs or milk.

Strange that nobody mentioned lentils, they tend to have high amounts of protein and are pretty cheap. Red/Pink lentils have about 25g of protein per 100g, which is more than eggs or milk.

Same problem with chickpeas as noted above.

Same problem with chickpeas as noted above.

Never had gas or gut issues on lentils like you can get with chickpeas, and you need carbs in your diet especially if you train a lot and consume a lot of protein. So I don't see the problem with lentils.

Never had gas or gut issues on lentils like you can get with chickpeas, and you need carbs in your diet especially if you train a lot and consume a lot of protein. So I don't see the problem with lentils.

Are you eating 100% of your protein macros from whole, cooked lentils? That would be at least 600g(depends on the method of cultivation as organic varieties will yield more protein but cost nearly 3x as much which defeats the purpose of "cheap protein") of lentils for the average athlete, that's crazy. We haven't even touched on bioavailability. Sure they're cheap, but you aren't even absorbing 100% of that plant protein since it's bound up in all that indigestible fiber. More bang for your buck if you choose eggs or whey.

Are you eating 100% of your protein macros from whole, cooked lentils? That would be at least 600g(depends on the method of cultivation as organic varieties will yield more protein but cost nearly 3x as much which defeats the purpose of "cheap protein") of lentils for the average athlete, that's crazy. We haven't even touched on bioavailability. Sure they're cheap, but you aren't even absorbing 100% of that plant protein since it's bound up in all that indigestible fiber. More bang for your buck if you choose eggs or whey.

Red lentils have about 25g of protein per 100g (about double the amount of what eggs have) and a 500g box of organic red lentils costs about $2.50 here so it's definitely cheap.
Also you don't need to use it as your ONLY source of protein, just like you don't need to get 100% of your protein from eggs. I don't eat 600g of lentils just like I wouldn't eat 600g of eggs either, and I definitely don't need that much protein anyway.

TS asked about cheap sources of protein and lentils are a great cheap source of protein. I never said you should get 100% of your protein from it and eat nothing else though.

Red lentils have about 25g of protein per 100g (about double the amount of what eggs have) and a 500g box of organic red lentils costs about $2.50 here so it's definitely cheap.
Also you don't need to use it as your ONLY source of protein, just like you don't need to get 100% of your protein from eggs. I don't eat 600g of lentils just like I wouldn't eat 600g of eggs either, and I definitely don't need that much protein anyway.

TS asked about cheap sources of protein and lentils are a great cheap source of protein. I never said you should get 100% of your protein from it and eat nothing else though.

I still think whey would still be more effective. You can routinely find deals online for $40-45 for 5lb tubs. Almost 70 servings. 32g per scoop containing 25g of protein. Two scoops for 50g of quick and cheap protein that's been proven to have a higher absorption rate(without the antinutrient content of legumes)sounds like a better deal. I'm not big on supplements but dollar for dollar this is TS best shot. If you've ever seen some of his other posts he's kind of an all or nothing type of guy. Some whey, chicken breast, and eggs would have him covered at a excellent price point and would offer more in the way of nutrition.....and just for the heck of it add in some lentils if you're into high amounts of phytic acid and lectins. I'm more of a white rice guy myself.

This^^^ and dry beans. one of the cheapest ways to sustain yourself if you're flat ass broke.

Back