Cheapest place to get instructionals?Sperry and GHolars?

• Thread starter Deleted member 56619
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56619

Lookin to pick up Gholars takedowns and Sperrys Vale Tudo 1 series but was wondering the best place to get them? Checked budovideos but dont really know anywhere else. Was hoping there is somewhere to get SPerrys set for cheaper than $200. For some reason i think i remember seeing Sperrys for like 100 bucks some where, maybe they were burned or on ebay or somethin. Thanks for the help guys.

ebay is your best bet, or try froogle.com or mysimon.com.

I would never advocate this, but I suspect you could find samples of the vids you're looking for on usenet groups.

Hey Cody,

Go to e-bay. I just saw a set of the Vale Tudo DVD's (these are originals and brand new) for $130. The guy who sells these is Paul Viele, who owns the company that produces these DVD's. This is just another place for him to sell them. I have bought all of my DVD sets from him this way and saved a lot of money.

Keven

www.warrior-one.com

The Sperry Vale Tudo 1 Series is pretty outdated if you ask me.I havent seen the newer series that he did though.

KzFactoryRumina said:
The Sperry Vale Tudo 1 Series is pretty outdated if you ask me.I havent seen the newer series that he did though.
What's your favorite for Vale Tudo?

And what's outdated about the first set, specifically?

Just watch the old set.It's alright.But it's outdated how they talk about how you shouldnt use closed guard in MMA.The game has changed alot in the past couple years.The ways of passing the guard are somewhat dated too in it from what I remember.Just buy the newer set.

Is the newer set more advanced though? Im not quite at a advanced level and thought the newer ones were a bit more technical.

Not to completely knock the set,but I just think there are better approaches to MMA now then say around the late 90's when that set was made.I have a copy of it somewhere in my house,I'll have to rewatch it.I havent seen many instructionals,I think I have 2 which are Caol Uno's (Which is decent BTW,it's mostly just gettting to see him roll) and Sperry's.

Alot of the takedowns taught in the video are like,old school BJJ style,which to be honest won't really work in modern MMA against guys who know what they are doing. The one problem I have with the Original Sperry Vale Tudo set is that alot of the approaches are taken from assuming your opponent has no clue what he is doing,where as when I analyze certain techniques I like to pick ones that will work on good opponents,and that will work on good opponents frequently.

Not to be negative on the Sperry sets,but I think you can learn more from other sets.I'm not exactly an aficiando of instructionals,because I don't exactly think they are worth the money.However,I know alot of people have learned some cool shit from instructionals,and if you're the type of person that can learn easily from those types of learning devices then more power to you.

I read a review that said just the opposite about the sperry set, saying that he DOES assume your opponent is skilled. So what are the other sets you think are better? I wanna make sure im getting the best set i can if im goin to drop 200 bucks. What are some better sets than sperrys? I already got Ruttens.

KzFactoryRumina said:
Just watch the old set.It's alright.But it's outdated how they talk about how you shouldnt use closed guard in MMA.The game has changed alot in the past couple years.The ways of passing the guard are somewhat dated too in it from what I remember.Just buy the newer set.
True. They didn't stand fighters up as readily five years ago. Nor do I think his set was targeted at UFC-style rules (with the cage, where it's really impossible to work any offensive guard, and the bottom line is you need to reverse the position or hold your opponent down until the ref stands you up).

Still, I think it's worth it (for strict learning purposes...I'm not calculating the cost of the set into that statement).

I dunno.The takedowns he teaches are pretty much garbage though.Like I said,I'm not exactly an expert on instructionals.I have seen Baret Yoshida's submission grappling which was pretty good,Minotauro's one which is pretty quaint,and some others that I borrowed from friends.Personally,I think you're better off saving your money.I have heard some good things about Darrell Gholar's Vale Tudo Takedowns vid.

I just think with how much MMA has evovled in the past couple of years,the Sperry set isnt really worth it.

It's not really the rules,it's just how fighters have changed their style of fighting.When I watch MMA from like the late 90's and even from around early 2000 I see how much the game has changed.Maybe I get alittle to analytical,but that's just how it feels to me,and alot of the stuff like how Sperry passes the guard in that video wouldnt work against a good opponent.

Well i dont think im at the level where i need to worry too much about competition and those kinds of things. Im going to get Gholars takedown vid and either Sperry 1 or 3, not sure which yet. Leanin towards 1 though. Thanks for the help guys.

I think the Sperry set is pretty good for groundwork. As others have said, the takedowns are very basic, but he does show how to close the distance pretty well. I think you will definitely benefit from the series. I got it on ebay about a year ago for $140 or so.

Back