Cheap Multis

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by cXs808, Aug 25, 2010.

1. cXs808

cXs808 Brown Belt

To preface this message, I am in no way affiliated with GNC, nor am I trying to solicit their brand.

There is a great sale, online only, on GNC multi-vitamins running today. It is $9.99 for the Mega Men (90ct), Mega Men Sport (90ct), and various other multis (womens ones too). Check it out and let me know what you think.

2. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Better deals online IMO.

3. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Better brands also

4. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I like GNC's multis. I switch up multis pretty much whenever I finish a bottle, but I've used both their basic Mega Men and Ultra Mega Green. Usually, you can find a bottle of one or the other at a deep discount in store.

OP, do you have a link? Because I just checked GNC.com and didn't see the deals you referred to.

5. Ian Coe

Ian Coe Silver Belt Professional Fighter

To be fair to them, I'm going based on what other people have said. In the UK I don't think I've ever seen them (then again I do all my shopping for supplements on line these days).

6. huer

huer White Belt

Looking at those, they pretty much break all the "rules" in the definitive multivitamin thread. But, I think those rules are pretty stupid.

I like Now Adam.

7. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I am curious as to why you switch it up after finnishing a bottle?

8. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

^It's more of a question of "why not?" Instinctively, I feel like it's a good thing not to take the same thing forever, and to change it up occasionally. Does it really matter? I dunno.

9. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

While this topic is somewhat active im curious if there is any real science behind chewable vitamins digesting better than a solid capsule? I mean it seems obvious it would right or wrong?

10. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Definitely. I've seen a few articles suggesting this. Breaking the tablet down will make it easier to digest and absorb. That's why capsulated multi's are more absorbable. But chewing a tab tastes horrible. I'd rather chew a fish oil capsule.

11. Gary Peters

I generally eat vegetables and fruits at each meal so I didnt want to invest in anything crazy but I still wanted that "just in case" multi so I bought the chewable Centrum Silver vitamins. No iron, and actually don't taste that bad. I figured the capsuled ones are complete junk but the chewable ones might serve my specific purpose for a low price.

12. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

I don't know if your theory is right or wrong, but I don't think there is anything "obvious" about it. The type of compounds through which the vitamins and other nutrients are delivered (i.e., ascorbic acid or calcium ascorbate for vitamin C) are probably what will have the biggest impact on how well the nutrients are absorbed. As long as the compounds aren't indigestible, I don't think your body will have have any problem breaking them down or dissolving them or doing whatever it needs to do to deliver the nutrients on a cellular level...so I don't think chewable makes much of a difference.

However, if we're talking capsule vs. tablet...capsules are generally regarded as more easily digested, I believe.

13. Gary Peters

I used to take a capsule multi but it got pretty expensive and looking at my diet I didnt think it was worth spending all that every month. I've been taking the chewable multi now for about a month and havent noticed any negative effects.. i don't even know that I would though.

14. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Coulda just had a V8.

15. Gary Peters

LOL I dont think V8 gets a stamp of approval here.

16. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I drink quite a bit of the low sodium V8.

17. Gary Peters

Do you take any multis currently or just get everything from food?

18. onezendad

onezendad Blue Belt

Not really trying to be a smart ass, but maybe they are chewable because they are made for senior citizens. At least I am pretty sure that's what Centrum Silver is "formulated" for.

Doubt it will do you any harm...other than make you want to eat dinner at 4pm and enjoy Matlock.

19. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

I usually take a multi no matter what but I stopped after my last bottle ran out about 4 weeks ago. I'm somewhat paranoid about deficiency so when I don't take a multi it tends to force myself to eat better.

Right now I only take vitamin D, mag citrate, and fish oil.

20. Gary Peters

Oh you tried to make a funny... Actually they make the regular Centrum in chewable form as well but it contains Iron and the Silver label does not.