Chavez vs. Camacho

Cracky

Fanny Pack
@Silver
Reaction score
What could Camacho have done differently here? His feet were moving almost constantly, he's jab was going... he just couldnt seem to get away from Chavez no matter what he tried..

[YT]I0tK7l7vG3U[/YT]

If you were Camacho's coach, what advise would you give him ? Besides to turn that stupid entrance song off..lol

This fight brings back some bad memories- very disappointing fight from macho man.

Just in the first round you can see that he is not busy enough with the left hand. He should have been nailing chavez with it every time JCC stepped in. Chavez was very square and open to the left hand, especially to the body. He never discouraged senior from walking him down- which is a shame cause Camacho had real power in his hands, and a speed advantage in both hands and feet.

(Edit: not to derail your thread)

Although its not an exact comparison, i would use Sergio Martinez vs. Chavez Jr. as an example of what to do early.
Left hands to the body and up top get his respect...lots a jabs and holding on the inside- rinse repeat.

[YT]dxxyonxbFqg [/YT]

Last edited:
Camacho had a lot more ability than he showed that night.. I believe he was scared to put it simply.

Nothing, once he go hit, it was time to survive for 12 rounds.

Chavez came in with the will and belief, that was the difference.

This fight brings back some bad memories- very disappointing fight from macho man.

Just in the first round you can see that he is not busy enough with the left hand. He should have been nailing chavez with it every time JCC stepped in. Chavez was very square and open to the left hand, especially to the body. He never discouraged senior from walking him down- which is a shame cause Camacho had real power in his hands, and a speed advantage in both hands and feet.

(Edit: not to derail your thread)

Although its not an exact comparison, i would use Sergio Martinez vs. Chavez Jr. as an example of what to do early.
Left hands to the body and up top get his respect...lots a jabs and holding on the inside- rinse repeat.

[YT]dxxyonxbFqg [/YT]

I was thinking the same about the left, but Chavez was waiting for it and timing it everytime it left home.. Also, the main difference between the Martinez jr fight and this one, is that Martinez could get space from JR.. Camacho tried like hell to get space, but could never do it.. it was like they were tied together with a 3 ft rope

Rumor was Camacho didnt train for Chavez and only took the fight so he can put Chavez over since they where friends before the fight

Camacho was many years removed from his prime. Julio was smack dab in the middle of his. Chavez was much thicker and stronger which made it difficult to play matador. Camacho didn't have the power to make Chavez respect him. Not sure he really could have done anything differently.

Rumor was Camacho didnt train for Chavez and only took the fight so he can put Chavez over since they where friends before the fight

If they were friends, Chavez wouldn't have given him such a beatin.. and he wouldn't have sat down on his punches in the first half of the fight like he did.. Camacho landed some great shots that would have dropped most men...

I don't buy that rumor for a second

Camacho was many years removed from his prime. Julio was smack dab in the middle of his. Chavez was much thicker and stronger which made it difficult to play matador. Camacho didn't have the power to make Chavez respect him. Not sure he really could have done anything differently.

I really think it was more about Camacho not having an answer for Chavez than it was about Mach being way out of his prime.. I think Camacho simply never was quite on that level.. he was always on the Mancini level.. he was always a guy that would look great on the contender level and get dusted on the world class level.

I really think it was more about Camacho not having an answer for Chavez than it was about Mach being way out of his prime.. I think Camacho simply never was quite on that level.. he was always on the Mancini level.. he was always a guy that would look great on the contender level and get dusted on the world class level.

I wouldn't disagree with that. I think a green 135-pound Chavez even beats the prime 1985 Camacho at Lightweight. I do think the prime vs. out-of-prime level contributed to the loss but there's probably no way Camacho beats any version of Chavez. Doesn't have the stamina to run for 12-15 rounds and land the cleaner shots nor the power to put Chavez to sleep.

I think Camacho didn't train very hard because he was Camacho but he looked soft, slow, and weak.

Cracky said:
I was thinking the same about the left, but Chavez was waiting for it and timing it everytime it left home.. Also, the main difference between the Martinez jr fight and this one, is that Martinez could get space from JR.. Camacho tried like hell to get space, but could never do it.. it was like they were tied together with a 3 ft rope

He was..early but Camacho never went to the body...not once, even as jcc marched forward. He never got space cause he didn't earn it. Maybe he didn't care enough or maybe- as someone else said, he was just scared.

Camacho could of hit Chavez with a sledge hammer and he would of still came forward. The way Chavez walked down opponents was scary. The guy didnt show any emotions even when he got hit with heavy shots. I think this messes with the opponents head. Imagine hitting someone with everything you got and he continues to wslk you down. That right there breaks you down mentally and eventually it effects your body.
Look what happened to Meldrick Taylor. Taylor was landing alot of shots and seemed to be in control of the fight but all of a sudden in the late rounds his legs were gone and he looked beat. Chavez broke you down mentally and physically.

Yeah it was .. in the first round something really stood out to me.. Camacho landed a shot and then jumped back to avoid the counter.. he jumped back as fast as any fighter ever did.. but not fast enough to avoid Chavez's hook to the body.. which seemed to have a homing ability..or something.

The truth is that when Chavez wanted to get you, he would get you.

Camacho could of hit Chavez with a sledge hammer and he would of still came forward. The way Chavez walked down opponents was scary. The guy didnt show any emotions even when he got hit with heavy shots. I think this messes with the opponents head. Imagine hitting someone with everything you got and he continues to wslk you down. That right there breaks you down mentally and eventually it effects your body.
Look what happened to Meldrick Taylor. Taylor was landing alot of shots and seemed to be in control of the fight but all of a sudden in the late rounds his legs were gone and he looked beat. Chavez broke you down mentally and physically.

Pretty much this^^

No masterplan in here. Chavez

Back