Chavez Jr was the Biggest US Cable Star in 2012

TexasDrugAddict**

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Saw this on Yahoo and Jr was the biggest star of 2012. good for him.

1. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.-Marco Antonio Rubio, Feb. 4, HBO, 1.9 million

2. Bernard Hopkins-Chad Dawson, April 28, HBO, 1.6 million

3. Chavez Jr.-Andy Lee, June 16, HBO, 1.4 million

4. Adrien Broner-Vicente Escobedo, July 21, HBO, 1.4 million

5. Miguel Cotto-Austin Trout, Dec. 1, Showtime, 1.4 million

6. Nonito Donaire-Jorge Arce, Dec. 15, HBO, 1.3 million

7. Andre Ward-Chad Dawson, Sept. 8, HBO, 1.3 million

8. Floyd Mayweather-Cotto PPV replay, May 12, HBO, 1.3 million

9. Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez PPV replay, Dec. 15, HBO, 1.3 million

10. Danny Garcia-Amir Khan, July 14, HBO, 1.3 million

11. Erik Morales-Garcia I, March 24, HBO, 1.2 million

12. Robert Guerrero-Andre Berto, Nov. 24, HBO, 1.1 million

13. Marcos Maidana-Devon Alexander, Feb. 25, HBO, 1.1 million

14. Broner-Antonio Demarco, Nov. 17, HBO, 1.1 million

15. Sergio Martinez-Matthew Macklin, March 17, HBO, 1.1 million

16. Canelo Alvarez-Josesito Lopez, Sept. 15, Showtime, 1.0 million

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxin...-fights-lots-viewers-lots-210146022--box.html

Limited but fights with heart and makes good fights.

I'm surprised the Hopkins/Dawson fight was so high. Two fighters that draw no interest

people are making a big deal out of wanting boxing back on network TV to attract ratings. However, they could probably get by just as fine if HBO actually put them in a decent time slot. Friday's and Saturday's are terrible nights for TV. There are shows on CBS and NBC that get lower ratings than that on Saturday. I find it hilarious that Dana demanded a different time slot on FX almost immediately yet we have boxing promoters who don't even seem to notice. I had to fucking laugh at Duva telling everyone that NBC gave them a terrific time slot for Adamek-Cunningham. I don't think she even realised NBC put them put them in at a bad time. I think they're so used to being spoonfed by HBO, who don't care about ratings, that they've actually forgotten how the whole thing works.

How does HBO not care about ratings?

well they do, but HBO isn't funded by advertisers so the decision to cancel a show is down to them. I'm sure saying they don't care is a bit extreme since higher ratings ultimately bring in more subscribers and thus more money. Usually HBO only cancels a show when it reaches rock bottom or the budget out grows the benefits.

Also I think p4p Cotto is the biggest star on that list. He got 1.4 mill on Showtime, just imagine if that had been on HBO. Those are the kind of fighters boxing needs back on regular TV. It's unfortunate the ones they're going that way but doing it on the much smaller showtime.

Also I think p4p Cotto is the biggest star on that list. He got 1.4 mill on Showtime, just imagine if that had been on HBO. Those are the kind of fighters boxing needs back on regular TV. It's unfortunate the ones they're going that way but doing it on the much smaller showtime.

I don't understand. Are you saying Showtime isn't as big as HBO. or that they don't have as many subscribers.

HBO - Boxing Aftet Dark and World Championship Boxing

Showtime- Shobox and World Championship. They also have a a MMA show that they could borrow from to bring in sports fans. They also have Inside the NFL. Showtime puts on alot more sports related programs than HBO.

I think HBO puts on better Card but Showtime is neck and neck with them in the amount of shows.

I don't understand. Are you saying Showtime isn't as big as HBO. or that they don't have as many subscribers.

HBO - Boxing Aftet Dark and World Championship Boxing

Showtime- Shobox and World Championship. They also have a a MMA show that they could borrow from to bring in sports fans. They also have Inside the NFL. Showtime puts on alot more sports related programs than HBO.

I think HBO puts on better Card but Showtime is neck and neck with them in the amount of shows.

Showtime has less subscribers and their TV ratings are lower across the board. I cant remember exactly but I think HBO has 28 million subs and Showtime has 22 million. On Showtime a fight that gets 500k is considered a success, on HBO I think 1 million is the mark. Anyone who fights on Showtime is bound to get smaller ratings than they do on HBO. For example Khan managed around 700k on Showtime where as he was getting over 1.3 million on HBO. Cotto would have busted the 2 million marker easily if he had fought on HBO. Canelo-Lopez too more than likely.

Showtime has less subscribers and their TV ratings are lower across the board. I cant remember exactly but I think HBO has 28 million subs and Showtime has 22 million. On Showtime a fight that gets 500k is considered a success, on HBO I think 1 million is the mark. Anyone who fights on Showtime is bound to get smaller ratings than they do on HBO. For example Khan managed around 700k on Showtime where as he was getting over 1.3 million on HBO. Cotto would have busted the 2 million marker easily if he had fought on HBO. Canelo-Lopez too more than likely.

Ok that makes sense lower subscribers would mean lower ratings. But has any fightet broke 2mil on HBO already. The article said Jr 1.9 was the biggest number in a long time. Since Arreola/Vitali I think.

EDIT; The artlice say HBO(30mil) and Showtime(22mil)

Arreola vs Vitali was 2.1 mil

Ok that makes sense lower subscribers would mean lower ratings. But has any fightet broke 2mil on HBO already. The article said Jr 1.9 was the biggest number in a long time. Since Arreola/Vitali I think.

EDIT; The artlice say HBO(30mil) and Showtime(22mil)

Arreola vs Vitali was 2.1 mil

Ratings have declined greatly on HBO since the likes of 2004. This is largely because HBO started putting just about every fighter with a fan base onto PPV, thus leaving the fans with only second tier fights and bum of the month match ups to watch on regular TV. I think ratings were around 3-4 million back then when Manny, Mayweather, and Cotto were fighting on regular HBO. Wlad and Vitali were also ratings giants but HBO didn't hesitate to cut them all the same.

Once they started putting every fight featuring a name on PPV ratings fell to an all time low a few years ago were they started struggling to break 1 million, but it's been on more of a rise lately. As you can see there have been better match ups recently and they're finally starting to take the names off PPV.

There are some blatantly terrible business decisions which have caused ratings to drop. Namely HBO cutting the Klitchko's, fights like JMM-Fedchenko/Maidana-Morales/Dawson-Hopkins 1 being put on PPV when they could have gotten huge ratings. We're seeing a reverse of this with Ward-Dawson/Hopkins-Dawson 2/Morales-Rios/Khan-Peterson being put on regular TV when only a few years ago they might have been PPV. The other reasons are that Showtime's ratings have been increasing causing HBO's to decline, and all round TV ratings in general are falling as less people are watching TV now days.

There's a lot of mystery surrounding Haye-Wlad's TV ratings on HBO. Dan Rafael initially mentioned in his chat that it did 3 million, but later denied he said it all together. Another leaked report said it did 1.1 million. That wouldn't be bad except I don't trust it. The 3 million figure sounds more realistic since that fight was the number 1 trend on google and twitter in the US. I watch these trends religiously at fight time and only major PPV fights normally trend that high. Wlad-Haye dominated US online trends for the day. There is zero chance it did 1 million. It must have pulled far more than that. For example Hopkins-Dawson 2 only reached the 18th spot on google trends and that did 1.6 million according to the chart. I don't trust that 1 million figure at all. The initial 3 million figure is more in line with the brother's previous numbers, for example over 2 million against Arreolla.

I'm sure the economy has to do with subscriptions to HBO being down.

Yeah. 3mil sounds right for Wlad/Haye. I really wish HBO would support The Klits. I hate how HBO dropped them. HBO did it right after the Arreola fight too. That made no sense to me. Arreola/Vitali was the most viewed fight that yr too.

I really loved watching the Super Six. Whenever someone is fighting who was in that tournament I am usually most interested. The two biggest fights for me in 2012 were probably Ward vs. Dawson and Bute vs Froch.

Back