Chase Beebe, the rise and fall

eseseses681

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I was just thinkin' about Chase Beebe, and it's crazy what happened to this guy. I mean, he was a top-5 bantamweight in 2007 and 2008 (and the division's talent, while still very good like it is today, wasn't streamlined, so about any guy in the top-5 could be called #1, and Beebe was considered to be second to Torres or even ahead of Torres and the top seed for that prestige) and handily beat both Eddie Wineland and Rani Yahya in concession. Then he lost to Torres and followed that up with a very competitive fight with Joe Warren, a close fight with Will Ribeiro (who'd probably be in the top-10 or 15 right now if he hadn't gotten in that motorcycle accident and coma), and a robbery loss against Mike Easton (it was considered robbery of the year by Sherdog). Now, however, he's on a four-fight losing streak, two of which were against unknown guys, and his biggest wins since 2010 have been Pablo Alfonso, Jared McMahan, Jose Vega, and Chris Tickle, with the rest of his wins being against overmatched opponents. Right now, this ain't the same guy that beat Wineland and Yahya in concession. I think the 5-fight losing streak being capped off by a submission loss to Maeda (who's been hot-and-cold since the Miguel fight, and who was very much hot that night) might've messed him up, and the Takaya KO didn't help.

Same goes for Miguel Torres, he was dominating the 135 lb. division until Brian Bowles upset him and he just hasn't been the same since then. He defended the WEC BW title 3 times and then lost to Bowles and then Benavidez. He had to return to the regional scene after losing 2 in WSOF just to get back on the winning track.

Yeah, it's just crazier for Beebe cuz' the decline was much more pronounced and cuz' Wineland and Yahya are still relevant-- Wineland was unanimously ranked in the top-5 before yesterday.

I lost to Chase Beebe back in high school so it was fun to watch his success. It is weird when a fighter seems to "lose it" so fast like he did though.

yup i remember being shocked when he lost to Miguel Torres, great fight and finish though. made me a Torres fan for sure

That Torres fight was so exciting. Miguel looked amazing on the ground

"Succession" or "consecutively".

Not, "concession".

Just sayin'...

He is in the main this weekend at DEEP. Hopefully Chase snaps this skid.

Maybe not the same but Mamoru recently been doing not so good, same with Maeda.

From what I read, Beebe is working a real world job as well as fighting, so the chances of him being able to get to where he was are slim. He must have realized he can't do it full time.

Crazy he's still only 29.

Back