Charlo PPV 120k Buys

All things considered, probably marginally better than the complete flop most were expecting.

Terrible. They lost money on these twins that can't breakthrough.

120K x $75..... thats 9,000,000 I think they covered everything plus Establishing the Charlo’s as a ppv names. PBC did the same with Spence and now he is a ppv Star.

Bad but this has to have exceeded expectations.
It's not bad if no one expected anything close to this. I did not even expect this to sell 50K buys

I thought maybe it would do 150k. I don’t see how these are good numbers.

120K x $75..... thats 9,000,000 I think they covered everything plus Establishing the Charlo’s as a ppv names. PBC did the same with Spence and now he is a ppv Star.

Maybe it depends on how someone is qualified as a start. Literally nobody outside of boxing has ever heard of a Spence or a Chalro. They are like obscure jazz musicians that nobody outside of jazz cares about. You have doubtful heard of Adrian Rollini, but are likely to have heard the name Miles Davis. Similarly, nobody has heard of charlo or spence but Mayweather is a name most people have at least heard of, and he had to break 1 million buys regularly. Even then most people couldn't tell you much about him other than he was undefeated and took forever to fight Pacquiao, or heard other oversimplified things about him.

I don't think any of the WW or SWW today will be stars. They lack presence outside the sport.

I’m happy for them. I know the expectations were super low. I think the Jermell Charlo vs. Tony Harrison rivalry was a major factor in this. The controversial decision generated a lot of interest in the rematch. The rematch had a lot of trash talk which generated a decent amount of hype and anticipation for part 2, and Charlo/Harrison 2 lived up to the expectations. In my opinion coming fresh off that interesting rivalry was a pretty big factor here. . . And in Jermall’s case, this was a fight a lot of people thought he was gonna lose which I think generated interest in his fight. I did buy the ppv. I hope as they have continued success the numbers keep climbing

Showtime lost so much money they are moving the Tank and Santa Cruz fight to Halloween night and to San Antonio to get fans in the arena for a live gate revenue.
also Khabib is a legit PPV star for the UFC now and they didn't want to go head to head with them. Also, gives Tank another week to drop weight, this is at 130lbs after just being up at 135lbs
they don't make $9M on that. They probably get 60-65% of it since the PPV providers take their cut.

I just looked up Oscar De la Hoya’s PPV numbers. His first PPV card 25 years ago against Gabe Ruelas had 330k buys. Different times, I guess. Frankly, I’d love to see the PPV format die.

Back