Charlie Ward as CM Punk's Next Opponent (Hypothetical)

ufcfan1986

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Just wanted to preface this by saying that I know Punk had a piss poor showing in his debut and he'll probably get murdered in his next fight too.

Now that, that's out of the way I had a little free time on my day off from work and was scanning through the UFC WW division's win/loss records. It got me thinking if UFC is hellbent on giving Punk another fight even after there debut who could they even get on their roster with a comparable record to Punk? Probably Mike Jackson or someone outside the organization again, right. But I thought it would be fun to limit myself with just the listed roster.

So, I just went through the pages real quick and compiled a list of fighters with 10 fights or less with the least winning records. Since, UFC is the top of MMA as could be expected no one except Punk had a losing record. Anyway, the following profiles stuck out as the most likely opponents given my criteria (ranked from best match to least):

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/charlie-ward
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/vernon-ramos
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/brendan-oreilly
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/anton-Zafir
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/brian-camozzi
http://www.ufc.com/fighter/brian-Melancon (last fight in 2013, but he's still listed)

Not taking anything away from any of these fighters as they must've done something great just to get signed. Figured I'd share and get the opinions of you fine folks.

Dana said it was his first and last fight in the ufc . He doesn't have the skills like Brock has . People forget that Lesnar is a badass amateur wrestler in his day . CM brave for trying but he isn't a fighter .

Dana said it was his first and last fight in the ufc . He doesn't have the skills like Brock has . People forget that Lesnar is a badass amateur wrestler in his day . CM brave for trying but he isn't a fighter .
Dana said lol you must be new here

The only win for CM in his fight was his bank account. If he wants to compete in MMA, do it in a smaller org.

Melancon was a pretty decent fighter if I remember right, but he's retired. Im confident all of those guys whoop CM except Ramos because I don't know who he is.

The crazy thing about the whole CM Punk thing is that the PPV didn't even do big numbers. They were solid but nothing great at all. As for another fight for him, there are tons of fighters that fit the bill. Dana just has to call Lou Neglia or some other regional promoter and ask. But, why not have him fight Mike Jackson? Another green fighter who also got choked by Mickey.

Dana said lol you must be new here

Yep, Dana's word means less than nothing these days. With the new owners looking to earn on their investment the company is more focused on short term profits than ever before. Punk clearly doesn't deserve to fight in UFC. Doesn't matter. My prediction is he'll not only fight in UFC again, it will be on PPV.

The crazy thing about the whole CM Punk thing is that the PPV didn't even do big numbers. They were solid but nothing great at all. As for another fight for him, there are tons of fighters that fit the bill. Dana just has to call Lou Neglia or some other regional promoter and ask. But, why not have him fight Mike Jackson? Another green fighter who also got choked by Mickey.
I wonder how many of those PPV's were owing to it being it the HW Championship too. Im not sure he added more than 100k PPVs and alot of that was owing to the question mark surrounding the possibility of CM Punk maybe being decent. Now that he's been exposed as definitely the worst fighter since UFC 1, I dont know if anyone shells out 60 big ones. I mean, there best bet would be to put him on a FOX card or something; draw big ratings, let him get crushed and cash in. I mean, for all we know, Gall may not even be close to UFC caliber. He fought the two worst fighters in UFC history, the only fightr to get two guys with 0 fights since UFC 1 back to back. It's actually kinda funny that he is even favored vs Sage: shows the power of hype and the power of looking good versus a bad opponent (aka 'The Ronda Effect'..

CM Punk wins easily by KO. Ward is one of the slowest and sloppiest fighters in UFC

I don't much care. But I do respect the fact that he tried. And I respect the fact that he didn't just quit after that embarrassing loss.

If he fights again in the UFC. I'll see it because I see almost every single fight in the UFC. If he fights elsewhere I probably won't see it.

I wonder how many of those PPV's were owing to it being it the HW Championship too. Im not sure he added more than 100k PPVs and alot of that was owing to the question mark surrounding the possibility of CM Punk maybe being decent. Now that he's been exposed as definitely the worst fighter since UFC 1, I dont know if anyone shells out 60 big ones. I mean, there best bet would be to put him on a FOX card or something; draw big ratings, let him get crushed and cash in. I mean, for all we know, Gall may not even be close to UFC caliber. He fought the two worst fighters in UFC history, the only fightr to get two guys with 0 fights since UFC 1 back to back. It's actually kinda funny that he is even favored vs Sage: shows the power of hype and the power of looking good versus a bad opponent (aka 'The Ronda Effect'..

Absolutely. The UFC took a gamble on CM Punk and it bombed. He lost just about all of the buzz he generated with his signing by taking almost 2 FUC*ING YEARS to actually fight! People moved on.

They had to sign a guy for Punk's first fight and if he fights again they'll have to sign another guy. There is literally nobody on the roster who would be a fair fight for him. Even bottom-of-the-barrel guys like Charlie Ward would be a huge mismatch.

Still think this should be his next opponent..

Big name, identical record, yeh, hes a lightweight but im sure they can work with it

FJ20I7.png

Ouch .... Hit an needs to put those fists down ... Might poke his eye out .

CM only needed to be responsible for like 20-25k PPV buys to cover his purse. I think he did.

After the fight, Dana was pretty much like that's it for him in the UFC. More recently, it sounds like he will come back for one more. And depending how Gall does against Northgoat, it could change minds on CM Punk.

Cm punk vs li jingliang
Jingliang needs a tune up fight.

Edmund is 2-0 in MMA and fought at 155, and he's only a few years younger than CM Punk. Just saying...

Just saying it's the most dam fuckin perfect matchup humanly possible and needs to happen next.

How many buys do you think that PPV did without Punk? Any casual was talking about the fact he was fighting that night they had no Idea Stipe was in the main event

Dana isn't dumb he knows if he lets Punk go and he goes to another organization it will bring viewers to another show. Sure Punk isn't good enough to beat anyone that belongs in the UFC....that is why he hasn't been released yet. Dana doesn't know what to do with him.

How many buys do you think that PPV did without Punk? Any casual was talking about the fact he was fighting that night they had no Idea Stipe was in the main event

Dana isn't dumb he knows if he lets Punk go and he goes to another organization it will bring viewers to another show. Sure Punk isn't good enough to beat anyone that belongs in the UFC....that is why he hasn't been released yet. Dana doesn't know what to do with him.

Accurate assessment. Shame for Stipe too, but I'm sure he didn't mind the extra buys Punk gave him.

Back