Charles Oliveira's stand up game has been exposed

R u saying Chandler has best striking defence? He got knocked out last weekend and before that faitherweight knocked out him out

Once again I don’t think you even have the capacity to read a post correctly. We had this same problem last time we spoke.

I make a post and you respond like you didn’t even read it.

Please find in my post where I said “chandler has the best striking defense in the ufc.” Like you just claimed.

And your original comment was about UFC fights, not fights outside the ufc.

here is your exact quote

“In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC.”

Please learn how to read or don’t respond back to me and waste my time.

Once again I don’t think you even have the capacity to read a post correctly. We had this same problem last time we spoke.

I make a post and you respond like you didn’t even read it.

Please find in my post where I said “chandler has the best striking defense in the ufc.” Like you just claimed.

And your original comment was about UFC fights, not fights outside the ufc.

here is your exact quote

“In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC.”

Please learn how to read or don’t respond back to me and waste my time.

Make your posts clearer. If your time was so valuable you wouldn't be sending me 7 paragraph replies.

Make your posts clearer. If your time was so valuable you wouldn't be sending me 7 paragraph replies.

That’s because you don’t know how to read.

Once again the sample size for chandler is too small in the ufc to get an accurate picture of his striking defense in the UFC. He needs more fights.

Talking to you is painful at times.

In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Chandler).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him
Islam should shut up and fight more.

Anyone want a good laugh?

If you search "Oliveira head movement", you'll see over 100 posts on the topic.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threadloom/search?keywords=+oliveira+head+movement&date=2021-01-01

But none before May 14th.

What happened on May 14th?

TheWeasel discussed it here.

And 5 minutes later, tons of sherdoggers start talking about it like they've always known it.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it kinda funny.

It's the lemming effec lol. Buncha hating cashews parroting the latest take

It's not weird to post about Islam in a thread about striking defence.

It's like saying it's weird to mention Ngannou in a thread about KO power
I said you are a weird person. Apparently a stupid one too. This site would be better without you and your stupid shtick

That’s because you don’t know how to read.

Once again the sample size for chandler is too small in the ufc to get an accurate picture of his striking defense in the UFC. He needs more fights.

Talking to you is painful at times.

No one's talking about Chandler in this thread but sure, we can review his stats after he has more fights under his belt.

He's always had this aura of 'anyone can beat him on a good night' to me. He looks amazing in his best wins, and awful in his worst losses. The stars seemingly aligned for him against chandler, but I blame Chandler's fight IQ for that loss. Guy was out and he starts kicking his thighs and hugging him.

In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Chandler).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him

You literally ARE him why are you talking in third person

I love Oliveira, well rounded and great champion for sure. Most finishes in the UFC, most subs, entertaining to watch, but with a few holes fighters like Poirier, Gaethje or Conor can exploit..

Against Chandler, and because he's not afraid of being taken down, he was using his usual faints/kicks, and showed aggressivness to push Chandler against the cage. His guard is usually very high, with a very traditional muay thai stance.

But his main weakness is his lack of head movement. And many coaches will say it's hard to kill the old habits. Charles and his team know that his head movement is lacking, so they try to compensate it with lots of activity, high guard, and fear of takedown.

However, and because Chandler found holes when Charles was less active, this strategy is not perfect.. He got it clean, and in the first round. Props to him for coming back strong in the second round, as if he had gotten his senses back, and well done to him for executing a picture perfect counter.

I fear great strikers like Poirier, Conor, or even brawlers like Gaethje will be able to capitalize on this lack of head movement and KO him.. Or, he could turn into a grappling wizard and get Conor and Dustin to deal with his ground game.. But he'd have to take them down, which is no easy task
I would say taking down Chandler while rocked is arguably more of a daunting task than taking down Conor, Justin, or Dustin. All aforementioned fighters likely get submitted if Charles had their back like he had Chandler.

It wasn't exposed.

I'd argue this is why most people who picked Chandler (including me) thought he'd win. Olivera has shaky head movement, an average chin, and lets guys get inside. He's prone to getting nailed by big punchers throughout his career that know how to slip inside his punching range. Cub Swanson is a perfect example of that.

Chandler is easily the biggest puncher he's faced with the wrestling, speed, skill, and power to get inside. And for a round, it was going how many expected it to.

What was different this time was Oliviera took it, stayed composed, and kept throwing confidently. If anything, Saturday showed he's a far more comfortable striker than he's ever been before. He used his length better than I've ever seen him in previous fights.

Last edited:
charles has been exposed already but his improvement is much bigger so that hides his lack of head movement. Until a guy with good accuracy and power can exploit it he's going to stay champ for a long time. Let's see what happens with Dustin and islam.

Part of striking defense is to prevent your opponent from throwing.

Oliveira's only faced stronger competition than Islam in Chandler. That's not enough to sway the statistic.

Fighter Kevin Lee and past-prime Ferguson aren't tougher competion than Dober and Arman.
Lol

I would be curious to know how many strikes Islam absorbs per minute in the standup. He spends most of his fights on the ground in top position.

hasn't this guy been KO'ed a bunch of times already?? pretty sure his flaws have been exposed for years

If anything his striking looked better than ever. His evolution at that aspect is truly extraordinary.
With that said, if he can upgrade his head movement, then he will be damn near unbeatable.

Hes way too hittable to be unbeatable. The chances of him defending the belt more than a couple times are very slim.

Not that hes not a great fighter,cause he is, but lw is a shark tank.

Back