Charles Oliveira's stand up game has been exposed

I meant that generally you can't compare the two.
Also, Makhachev is a extremely good sambo fighter. Those fighters absorb the least amount of strikes.
The two of them are very different types of fighters, so they're barely comparable

Yup 0.77 is barely comparable to 3.01 lol, less than 25%

When comparing a large pool of opponents for striking defence stats, Oliveira hasn't faced much stronger competition than Islam. Yeah he's faced 1 or 2 stronger opponents but that's not enough to sway statistics.
1 or 2? He's faced Edgar, Pettis, Lamas, Holloway, Tony, Lee, Chandler, Swanson, Cerrone, Guida etc.. 3 UFC champs, 1 interim champ and several guys that have fought for the belt.

1 or 2? He's faced Edgar, Pettis, Lamas, Holloway, Tony, Lee, Chandler, Swanson, Cerrone, Guida etc.. 3 UFC champs, 1 interim champ and several guys that have fought for the belt.

A lot of them befor or after their prime. Plus he lost to a lot of them. Either way doesn't justify 4-5x worst striking defense stats

Yup 0.77 is barely comparable to 3.01 lol, less than 25%
Are you really comparing a muay thai bjj wizard and a sambo machine?
As I said, Makhachev's style is very safe and effective.
High level Sambo definitely is good for longevity.

In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Chandler).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him

Man , you are a very serious Islam fan .You have a ton of posts since 2019 and almost , if not everything you post is about Islam , and somehow you always bring Islam up in threads which have nothing to do with him. That is serious dedication.

How would you feel if he got knocked out cold on his way to a title shot watching it live ?

Man , you are a very serious Islam fan .You have a ton of posts since 2019 and almost , if not everything you post is about Islam , and somehow you always bring Islam up in threads which have nothing to do with him. That is serious dedication.

How would you feel if he got knocked out cold on his way to a title shot watching it live ?

It could happen to anyone. I knew it was a possibility against Dober. Buy he's so good the chances are so low and even if it does happen he's only 29 and has lots of prime years left to get the strap

In contrast Islam Makhachev has best striking defense in all or UFC at 0.77 absorbed per minute (vs 3.01 for Chandler).

Islam will be a dangerous stylistic challenge to Oliveira..no wonder Islam tweeted to Charles to keep the belt warm for him
You're a weird person. Genuinely concerning.

You're a weird person. Genuinely concerning.

It's not weird to post about Islam in a thread about striking defence.

It's like saying it's weird to mention Ngannou in a thread about KO power

People already said he had bad headmovement, nothing was exposed. If anything people should be impressed that as a grappler he managed to knock Chandler out and also showed that he has more grit than people thought.
Well to be fair, Chandler is just a wrestler that, like Johny Hendricks or Josh Koscheck, has power and a good right hand.

It has been exposed after he survived a barrage and KO'd the other guy... lol. He's hittable, but if anything, he's shown much improved ability to recover and awareness. He used to get overwhelmed when he was hit.

As far as weaknesses go, I'll take Charles's striking defense over Gaethje's ground game or Conor's gassing. The most complete package on paper is Poirier, I guess we'll have to see where the chips fall.

I love Oliveira, well rounded and great champion for sure. Most finishes in the UFC, most subs, entertaining to watch, but with a few holes fighters like Poirier, Gaethje or Conor can exploit..

Against Chandler, and because he's not afraid of being taken down, he was using his usual faints/kicks, and showed aggressivness to push Chandler against the cage. His guard is usually very high, with a very traditional muay thai stance.

But his main weakness is his lack of head movement. And many coaches will say it's hard to kill the old habits. Charles and his team know that his head movement is lacking, so they try to compensate it with lots of activity, high guard, and fear of takedown.

However, and because Chandler found holes when Charles was less active, this strategy is not perfect.. He got it clean, and in the first round. Props to him for coming back strong in the second round, as if he had gotten his senses back, and well done to him for executing a picture perfect counter.

I fear great strikers like Poirier, Conor, or even brawlers like Gaethje will be able to capitalize on this lack of head movement and KO him.. Or, he could turn into a grappling wizard and get Conor and Dustin to deal with his ground game.. But he'd have to take them down, which is no easy task
Gaejthe has a ceiling. I laughed when he first came to UFC with a fight friendly no cardio style then trevor & company evolved him up. I see Charles taking whatever gaejthe can muster then finishing him on feet or ground. Gaejthe did get better but I dont see him near belt.
He might MIGHT have a run in him where he loses a shot at title.... if that .

Inferior competition tends to do that.
People are enamored with undefeated records and dominance even if it’s against cab drivers. Granted, Islam has faced good mid-tier competition and it seems none of the higher ranked people want anything to do with him. But still.

Get his d*** out of your mouth.

YKGxA1.gif

Another horrible example because you’re using a very small sample size for Chandler. He’s only been in 2 ufc fights and one of them he finished so quickly and took almost no damage.

I love Oliveira, well rounded and great champion for sure. Most finishes in the UFC, most subs, entertaining to watch, but with a few holes fighters like Poirier, Gaethje or Conor can exploit..

Against Chandler, and because he's not afraid of being taken down, he was using his usual faints/kicks, and showed aggressivness to push Chandler against the cage. His guard is usually very high, with a very traditional muay thai stance.

But his main weakness is his lack of head movement. And many coaches will say it's hard to kill the old habits. Charles and his team know that his head movement is lacking, so they try to compensate it with lots of activity, high guard, and fear of takedown.

However, and because Chandler found holes when Charles was less active, this strategy is not perfect.. He got it clean, and in the first round. Props to him for coming back strong in the second round, as if he had gotten his senses back, and well done to him for executing a picture perfect counter.

I fear great strikers like Poirier, Conor, or even brawlers like Gaethje will be able to capitalize on this lack of head movement and KO him.. Or, he could turn into a grappling wizard and get Conor and Dustin to deal with his ground game.. But he'd have to take them down, which is no easy task

And Porier, Gaethje, and Conor all have holes in their ground game that Oliveira can exploit

Another horrible example because you’re using a very small sample size for Chandler. He’s only been in 2 ufc fights and one of them he finished so quickly and took almost no damage.

R u saying Chandler has best striking defence? He got knocked out last weekend and before that faitherweight knocked out him out

It's .77 per minute because most of his fights take place on the ground with him on top. Not a big deal for Oliveira.

I swear Dagestani fan boys have goat shit for brains

Back