News *** Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev MEGA THREAD PART II (OFFICIAL FOR UFC 280, 10/22) ***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
Hear me out:

1.) Charles is now 33 and very old in fight years. 30 UFC fights over 12+ years, including multiple knockouts and many wars. Add in multiple brutal weight cuts over the years that wear on your organs. He is at the perfect time to have peaked and now begin to decline physically.

2.) Bad matchups. Islam is a great wrestler. Should Charles lose, it’s very likely he could have to face multiple other very strong wrestlers like Gamrot, Tsarukyan, etc. He has already fought most all of the strikers at the top, so all that’s left are the wrestlers if he loses.

3.) He’s hardcore into this “illuminated one” thing. That sort of crazy belief is beneficial to you when you’re winning, but once you lose it can really turn ugly fast. Delusional people don’t often regroup and adjust well when things begin going badly. (Prediction: this also applies to Jiri when he loses.)

I think the years of wear and tear (wars, lots of damage, bad weight cuts, etc.) + bad matchups will begin to catch up to Charles beginning tomorrow. He isn’t a bum, or anything else other than elite. But I believe he will steadily decline over time now and likely lose something like 4 of his next 5 before retiring.

1) You are a complete asshole.

2) You may be right.

3) If you're wrong, this thread is going to get bumped repeatedly to mock you.

The hreat thing about him tspping would be it might get Khabib to return to restore his version of Dagestani honor.

3C91949C-2701-480D-97FD-92AD0D2FFCDC.gif

ILLUMINATED BY GOD BABY!!!

This is a weird thread..."ostracized" because a loss
<WhatIsThis>
"Rousey suffered a brutal loss and was subsequently ostracized..."
" Ostracized by his team, Belfort was labeled a turncloak..."
"Nate Diaz talks about being 'ostracized' after loss..."

just a few on a quick search, now what are YOU going on about?

"Rousey suffered a brutal loss and was subsequently ostracized..."
" Ostracized by his team, Belfort was labeled a turncloak..."
"Nate Diaz talks about being 'ostracized' after loss..."

just a few on a quick search, now what are YOU going on about?
And how is that remotely related with Islam and his team?

Is Islam loses in any way, & Oliveira gets to get on the mic & thank the Lord Jesus for illuminating him, Islam will never be welcomed back to Abu Dhabi. He may not be welcomed back to Dagestan tbh.

And how is that remotely related with Islam and his team?
You said "This is a weird thread..."ostracized" because a loss". I provided 3 examples of someone feeling ostracized because a loss. My reply had nothing to do with Islam and his team and everything to do with your post.

Will Khabib, his team, and their "fans" treat Islam Makhachev with respect if he taps to a submission hold or will they ostracize him for submitting too Oliveira? This is a difficult question to ponder but it is unfortunately a realistic one given the intense pressure Makhachev is under to "reclaim Khabib's throne".

Justin Gaethje prior to fighting Oliveira repeatedly called him a quitter, vowed he would never tap, before ultimately tapping minutes into the fight.

My hope is that Makhachev is treated by his "fans" with the same amount of respect going into the fight, as he is coming out the fight, irrespective of the outcome.
"My hope is that Makhachev is treated by his "fans" with the same amount of respect going into the fight, as he is coming out the fight, irrespective of the outcome."

I'm old but many years ago I was reading about Bobby Fischer winning the World Championship in chess. Before the Championship they different tournament matches and while playing in the Candidates he played a Russian named Mark Taimanov. He ran through all the Russians but beat Taimanov 6-0 which was a big deal. When Taimanov came back to Russia from Canada he couldn't get out of the airport. They messed with his passport and after that chess was pretty much over for him. Russians and that part of the world take this stuff very seriously.

You said "This is a weird thread..."ostracized" because a loss". I provided 3 examples of someone feeling ostracized because a loss. My reply had nothing to do with Islam and his team and everything to do with your post.
Is a weird thread because I have never heard about somebody being ostracized in Khabib's team because of a loss or or tap, TS is very specific mentioning Khabib and the tap but if you want to find references not related at all to this situation I guess that you always will find something.

I really think Islam would let it snap or take a nap before a tap. But hard to say until he’s put in that position.

Maybe but he just finished 3 straight killers n hos reward is a title fight in the "challengers" back yard. This fight not in Brasil is criminal giving a fighter while obviously really good has fight basically nothing but gate keepers n cans a home title fight os stupid n khabib pandering.

Do Bronx deserved better imo

His fight against Gaethje was in gaethje's home state, too. He's been up against the odds for a while now.

Since when have strong wrestlers been a bad match up for Charles?? He's lost to 2 of them -- Lamas and Edgar. 3 if you count Jim miller who he dominated in the rematch. And Edgar beat him with striking.

Meanwhile he's beaten wrestlers like Elkins, Escudero, Lentz x3, guida, giagos, Lee, ferguson, and chandler.

I'm not saying these guys are as good of wrestlers as guys like Gamrot, but I'm just wondering where the notion of Charles struggling with wrestlers came from considering he beat the vast majority of the wrestling based fighters that he fought.

It's oddly strikers and good submission artists that he's struggled with more than wrestlers.
I was always more worried about good strikers with ko power but he passed that test several times now. Makhachev isn't just any wrestler but even Frankie had trouble holding Oliveira down 10 years ago so...

What you guys saw as quitting and lack of heart was actually Ollie playing 4D. He was preserving mileage for his physical prime.

Back