Charles Oliveira has 7 straight wins, all finishes. He should only fight the champ or # 1 contender.

Lmfaooo
Olive oil only has 1 top 10 win and its against kevin lee. Fuck outta here talking about title shots

Charles Oliveira should be well ahead of Dustin Poirer and Tony Ferguson. And OBVIOUSLY Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler.

He should either been the Khabib/Gaethje back up or should have fought Tony Ferguson or Dustin Poirer for # 1 Contender status. Anything else is bullshit.

Yeh but we have to question who he has really fought. Only notable win is Kevin Lee who was 2-3 in his last 5 fights. He probably needs two high level more wins before a title shot is considered.

his best win is Lee that was contender #8 at the time of the fight.
I think he needs a title eliminator bout against a top 5.
But if nobody of the top 5 is suited to fight Khabib he could go directly for the title fight, this happened already with Weili and I don't think she's the only case.

If we check the top 5:
- Gaethje (next contender)
- Poirier (recently defeated by KN, no controversy in the loss)
- Ferguson (coming off a loss in a title eliminator where he looked horrible)
- McGregor (not active, already fought KN and lost without controversy)
- Hooker (coming off a loss)

Maybe Oliveira vs. Ferguson as a title eliminator could make sense

But if nobody of the top 5 is suited to fight Khabib he could go directly for the title fight, this happened already with Weili and I don't think she's the only case.

If we check the top 5:

I also wonder if Gaethje gets beaten cleanly by KN what chance Tony really has at this point. I agree Tony looked horrible and shadow of what was expected of him.

Chandler v whoever (Tony/Oliveira/Conor if he wants to come back) would be a good eliminator. That said I think at this point UFC is walking Chandler into a title fight and he may well be the contender if KN wins. If Gaethje wins a rematch would be on the cards if it was close.

He’s getting the Tony Ferguson treatment. It’s almost bad luck to win too many fights in a row in that division, unless your name is Khabib.

They booked him for a huge title fight before his slipped on a banana and destroyed his knee?

6df4661353117022.jpg

Yea, Lee was a top 10 when they fought. Anyway, I was VERY impressed not only for the win, but because the WAY he won: the tooled Lee at will on the standup for two rounds, and on the third he put Lee on the mat and submitted him. Really high level stuff.
But i don´t think he is at the same level of the top 5 in the LW division (a fucking shark tank)

The only good win he has is Kevin Lee coming in with a 2-3 record. He always gets overhyped by fickle fans while beating B level guys or guys on the downswing. Then anytime he fights an A level guy on the rise, he gets destroyed.

If it was like HW, Oliveira would be like Stipe, Champ of a weak division. Too bad LW is deep.

The UFC knows this, that's why they haven't given him the very best guys.
Chuck has evolved since then but I think the guy deserves a contender fight, I think it’s fair. Or at least a top 3 guy

7 straight finishes over journeymen

i like chuckie olives, but he needs to beat a contender for once in his life

Other than Kevin lee he hasn't beaten any top guys yet.

I’d like to see him beat a top 5 guy first. A few of those wins aren’t that great. He tends to quit when things get tough or against a game opponent.

Yes, I agree with you.
But how about Khamzat? People imply he is the best and he didnt even beat a top 20

He hasn’t been facing the stiffest completion...

entertaining as heck though!

Charles Oliveira should be well ahead of Dustin Poirer and Tony Ferguson. And OBVIOUSLY Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler.

He should either been the Khabib/Gaethje back up or should have fought Tony Ferguson or Dustin Poirer for # 1 Contender status. Anything else is bullshit.

Good luck with that. The top 4-5 fighters only want to fight each other. Kind of hard for the rest of the division to get the chance to move up when they are constantly being turned down.

Love Charles but the problem with this theory (aside from the Conor part) is that of those 7 wins only one is against a top 10 LW and none are against the top 5 guys (again aside from the bs ranked Conor) you say he should be a head of.

Looking great against guy's outside the top 10 is nothing new but if you want to get Title fights you have to win more than 1 top 10 fight and at least 1 top 5 fight (again unless your name is Conor), that's just how this shit works dude, you don't get title shots based on winning streaks unless those streaks are against top 10 opponents.

No disrespect but the fact you even made this thread demonstrates a lack of understanding among fans of what "top contender" actually means.

Charles should definitely get a top 5 opponent in his next fight but to suggest he should be "well ahead" of proven contenders like Tony and Justin, even Chandler in reality is pretty absurd dude.

oliveira hasn’t beat any enough top contenders, but chandler did? Lmfao

If we check the top 5:

Ferguson vas Charles is the fight to make, too bad Charles beats Ferguson and he doesn’t get a title fight due to Tony not being in his prime anymore...

They have to change the ranking design by assigning point values to guys ranked 5-15 and higher values for guys in the TOP 5 and make it impossible to fight for a championship without a certain number of points of which 70% must come from top 5 opponents, that type of thing.

But then it would wreck Dana's plan of putting up circus matches without having to admit he's running a circus.

Nah, he’s actually pretty open about it. Rankings don’t matter. He’s gonna make what ever fights generate money

Nah, he’s actually pretty open about it. Rankings don’t matter. He’s gonna make what ever fights generate money

He's open about it, but at the same time talks about how "Legit" and professional the UFC is.

Belts mean little when not everyone has a fair crack at winning it.

He's open about it, but at the same time talks about how "Legit" and professional the UFC is.

Belts mean little when not everyone has a fair crack at winning it.

The UFC has argued in court that their belts aren’t meant to signify who is the best in the world. They are just promotional tools used to sell fights

Back