Charles Martin Vs Anthony Joshua 7 May From London

Man, it's getting a little bit old hearing everyone talk about how slowly these "prospects" should be brought up. Joshua was a Olympic gold medalist, right? And now he's 26 years old. So, what the heeeeeeeeell would he be waiting for? Sugar Ray Leonard fought Benitez at 23, and Duran at 24. Hearns fought Leonard at 23. Tyson was champ at, what, 20?

But all these guys were 30 fights deep (Duran 70) and had recognized wins before facing each other.
AJ has 15 wins and has fought nobody. Its a risky strategy for a HOF career but as a take the money and run option he could make a fortune beating Martin followed by the Hearn/Brook blueprint of stadium fights vs nobodies, eventually fighting a Wilder/Fury/Haye.

No, this just leads to a quick burn out of a boxer. This isn't 1945 where a champion fights 3 stumblebums in 6 months.

you gain interest by becoming a star. But this is up to the boxers themselves. If André Ward, Golovkin and Kovalev fight everybody, but can't promote themselves, then they won't gain any notable interest in their fights. Aside from the hardcore fans.

You gain interest by becoming a star? It's boxing, you have to have big fights to become a star lol

My reaction exactly. Somehow, accomplished champions need Joshua already.

Man, it's getting a little bit old hearing everyone talk about how slowly these "prospects" should be brought up. Joshua was a Olympic gold medalist, right? And now he's 26 years old. So, what the heeeeeeeeell would he be waiting for? Sugar Ray Leonard fought Benitez at 23, and Duran at 24. Hearns fought Leonard at 23. Tyson was champ at, what, 20?

We treat grown men with Olympic medals like babies these days. They need to get their asses in there and fight in their mid to late 20's. That is their prime, not their prospect years. Sometimes I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I hear fans talking about slow people should come along.

We still have people on here saying Danny Garcia is being eased into fights. The same Garcia that fought top ranked champions in his early to mid-20s. People say Crawford is not ready for a big fight with Pacquiao...when the hell is this 28 year old going to be ready? Come on, man.

Fans have bought into promoter-talk. We are not promoters, we can ignore their bullshit. They are trying to make money off cake-walk fights, that is all. These guys are all ready.

In fairness to Joshua, he started boxing far later than all of these men and he doesn't possess the phenomenal talent that any of these men possessed. For a HW with his background, I don't think he's being developed at an improper pace.

In fairness to Joshua, he started boxing far later than all of these men and he doesn't possess the phenomenal talent that any of these men possessed. For a HW with his background, I don't think he's being developed at an improper pace.
I think everything is going fine. My only complaint, is that he should be fighting a bit more often to get more experience. He has 15 fights, while guys like Klitschko had more than 25 in the same amount of time. If you lack experience, which Joshua does, you should want more fights, not fewer.

I think this is a logical step up, perfectly timed. And after this, another logical step-up.

My argument, is that fans exaggerate where these guys are and it encourages lame fights. Joshua is stepping up a bit in this fight, which is what he should do. If Joshua can beat Martin in this next fight, he should step up to the next level. No excuses should be made. When you dominate one level, the next level is the obvious destination.

On a side note, it is funny that you say he is not an exceptional talent. A lot of his fans, who say he should go slow, are also saying he is a unique and exceptional super athlete. I have even seen people cite his sprinting times.

I think everything is going fine. My only complaint, is that he should be fighting a bit more often to get more experience. He has 15 fights, while guys like Klitschko had more than 25 in the same amount of time. If you lack experience, which Joshua does, you should want more fights, not fewer.

I think this is a logical step up, perfectly timed. And after this, another logical step-up.

My argument, is that fans exaggerate where these guys are and it encourages lame fights. Joshua is stepping up a bit in this fight, which is what he should do. If Joshua can beat Martin in this next fight, he should step up to the next level. No excuses should be made. When you dominate one level, the next level is the obvious destination.

On a side note, it is funny that you say he is not an exceptional talent. A lot of his fans, who say he should go slow, are also saying he is a unique and exceptional super athlete. I have even seen people cite his sprinting times.

Theoretically, he'd be forced to step up after beating Martin as he'll have one of the alphabet titles. Now, we all know that doesn't guarantee he'll be fighting top opposition, but I think we're going to continue to see him taking steadily bigger challenges. He's already generating a lot of money domestically in the UK, as well, and one would think that there may start to be a lot of public demand/outcry for him to step up in level. In the instance where fighters come out of the amateurs with limited experience (even if they have real accomplishments as Wilder and Johsua had), I don't see a big problem with them being brought along slowly if they're HWs. HWs tend to peak later and have more longevity in the sport, and I'd rather they were given time to develop than be rushed unnecessarily.

Theoretically, he'd be forced to step up after beating Martin as he'll have one of the alphabet titles. Now, we all know that doesn't guarantee he'll be fighting top opposition, but I think we're going to continue to see him taking steadily bigger challenges. He's already generating a lot of money domestically in the UK, as well, and one would think that there may start to be a lot of public demand/outcry for him to step up in level. In the instance where fighters come out of the amateurs with limited experience (even if they have real accomplishments as Wilder and Johsua had), I don't see a big problem with them being brought along slowly if they're HWs. HWs tend to peak later and have more longevity in the sport, and I'd rather they were given time to develop than be rushed unnecessarily.
It's a bit of a thin line, though. Wider may not be facing so much hate had he been fighting the Spzilkas and Molinas of the world when he was about 20 fights in, rather than defending a world title against them.

Don't be silly, you were naming a handful of ATGs to make a hollow point, fighting for a HW title after 15 fights is a fast track no matter how you paint it.

Its in crazy for me to be picking Martin in this fight? I actually consider Martin to be a pretty decent HW with real punching power pretty decent footwork and his length his something that i think will trouble Joshua the entire fight. Make no mistake about it, Dillon Whyte rocked Joshua in that second round badly. He than gassed out and hurt his shoulder. Martin is not going to fade after two rounds. I have followed Martin for a while and from what i have seen, he is capable of throwing power shots all night long and fighting at a decently high pace for a big man. Glazkov who was favored in that fight with him, could not get near him. He is not only a big southpaw but the boy can move pretty freakin well. I just dont know if Joshua can deal with it. Now having said maybe Joshua Ko's him early but dont be suprised if Martin pulls off the upset. For now ill go Martin via UD.

Don't be silly, you were naming a handful of ATGs to make a hollow point, fighting for a HW title after 15 fights is a fast track no matter how you paint it.

This is true.

Mike Tyson shouldn't be used as a benchmark for how quickly Heavyweights move up the ladder, Tyson isn't comparable to any prospect at the moment and there's simply too many variables involved to make a blanket statement like that. Joshua has been fighting as much as he could do given the injuries he has had and how popular he is. When you are such a big name like Joshua, you aren't going to be fighting every other week on various different promotions like Hughie Fury, it simply doesn't make business sense. He has been effectively headlining a lot of Matchroom's shows and warrants an arena size crowd, there's simply no need to change the formula, he's been fighting more than enough and has stepped up much quicker than the likes of Wilder and even Fury.

At this point in Wilder's career, he went on to have another 18 fights before stepping in with someone on the level of Joshua's LAST opponent, never mind the world title fight ahead of him. They both had similar amateur experience but Joshua has clearly been fast tracked in comparison. Joshua probably learned more in his last fight than Wilder did in his first 20 fights, which is a testament to the way AJ has been developed. No one wanted to see him take the Wilder path and knock out 30 bums before a real test is put infront of him.

That is how you generate interest in the sport, by making the fights that people want to see

I think your mistaken, if you look at the sort of numbers Joshua is generating, then he is already generating a LOT of interest in the sport

I think your mistaken, if you look at the sort of numbers Joshua is generating, then he is already generating a LOT of interest in the sport
is this a real comment? You obviously understand that the bigger the fight, the more the attention.

Its in crazy for me to be picking Martin in this fight? I actually consider Martin to be a pretty decent HW with real punching power pretty decent footwork and his length his something that i think will trouble Joshua the entire fight. Make no mistake about it, Dillon Whyte rocked Joshua in that second round badly. He than gassed out and hurt his shoulder. Martin is not going to fade after two rounds. I have followed Martin for a while and from what i have seen, he is capable of throwing power shots all night long and fighting at a decently high pace for a big man. Glazkov who was favored in that fight with him, could not get near him. He is not only a big southpaw but the boy can move pretty freakin well. I just dont know if Joshua can deal with it. Now having said maybe Joshua Ko's him early but dont be suprised if Martin pulls off the upset. For now ill go Martin via UD.
Nope. Im a little taken back people have this billed as a lopsided contest.

AJ will win this. should of took the takam fight, but that was more risk and less reward so of course AJ and hearn were going to fix themselves up with the martin fight. pay-day for both parties really.

i don't buy into the AJ hype train, personally i think he is a KO waiting to happen, took a shot in his fight with whyte and was not right for 2rounds, always had chin issues in the ams aswell, and i reckon a fully fit and conditioned whyte would beat AJ in a return bout.

the fury's, povetkins, wilders, ortiz's, hayes, of the world all take AJ out, badly

gouM2v.gif

The mans fighting for a HW belt. Id call that a step up regardless of who he is facing.
Hes also making like $7M this fight and made over $4M last fight.
Joshua is on a nice pace Id say

Josh to get the KO within 4 rounds otherwise he's getting KOd in the later rounds! Favour AJ but he is still an unknown quantity so very difficult to predict. His best win and closest fight was againsty a guy that also has fought no one up till now. Exacltly how good is whyte?

I agree.

He won a Gold medal, has been a pro for 2.5 years, and he's moving into his late 20's. Now is the time to take the real fights.

If it is the number of professional fights that he has had that is making people say he's not ready, that is his own decision to only fight 16 times.

2.5 years into Mike Tyson's career he had 31 fights and had been champ for a year. SRL had 25 fights, and was already champion. Klitschko had 27 fights 2.5 years into his career.
When you're a PPV star like Joshua you often start to see them take a lower number amount of fights each year.

The mans fighting for a HW belt. Id call that a step up regardless of who he is facing.
Hes also making like $7M this fight and made over $4M last fight.
Joshua is on a nice pace Id say
Wasn't it £4M? I don't know the rate of exchange but it probably ended up being around $5.5M - $6M

Back