Charity "Tournament" Proposal

Makhno

Green Belt
Reaction score
By now, I think just about everyone involved in Jiu Jitsu, and probably MMA as a whole, has heard the heart breaking news concerning 3 Team Lloyd Irvin members and the revelation regarding Irvin's past. As tempers have simmered, and pitchforks been put away, several people have suggested that the Jiu Jitsu community find some way to respond to these tragedies in a positive, constructive manner, most notably Tom Callos and Ryan Hall.

After reading Hall's open letter today, myself and some of my teammates began discussing how the community could best achieve this, and we started to outline what I think is a pretty good idea. Before going any further, though, I want to stress than I'm just a random blue belt training at a school most of you have never heard of. I'm starting this thread just to see if there is interest in doing this and to hopefully encourage others to participate. I'm in no way trying to be a "leader" or anything in this endeavor, and fully believe that for it to work, much more influential voices than my own will be needed.

The idea is to hold coordinated events at gyms all across the country to raise money for charities that support rape victims or educate the public about the devastating effects of sexual assault. These events would be competitions--but more exhibition than actual tournament--with the proceeds from entry fees going to relevant charities. Not only would these competitions be geared toward combating rape culture, but also the "win-at-all-costs" attitude that Tom Callos, Ryan Hall, the Gracie brothers, and others have spoken out against in recent days. As such, no medals would be awarded and no results published. Instead, all competitors would receive a "proud to be a part of the 97%" gi patch. If we could coordinate this to take place on the same day, or same weekend, at gyms all across the country, and supply press releases to both local and national media, I believe we could further raise awareness of this very important issue.

I realize that this is a momentous undertaking, but given the overwhelming response by so many involved in the sport, I fully believe we could make it a reality with a lot of work and careful planning. Again, while I'm willing to do my part, I am only making this thread to hopefully get the wheels turning if there is enough interest. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea? Is it realistic? Please discuss.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not sure. It almost seems like admitting guilt by association, and I just don't think the BJJ community as a whole has any blood on their hands as a result of the actions of three people who just happen to practice Jiu-Jitsu.

what about all of the starving people in africa?

What about the 60,000 dead Syrians?

no one seems to give a **ck about them.

what about all of the starving people in africa?

What about the 60,000 dead Syrians?

no one seems to give a **ck about them.

How about you meander your way back to your guru's jock strap. Or, to use words you can understand, piss off shill.

More realistic question, how many tournaments have you run, and what makes you think you can pull this idea off?

If nothing else, get a hold of the guys doing the tap out cancer tournaments and see how they are getting it done.

More realistic question, how many tournaments have you run, and what makes you think you can pull this idea off?

If nothing else, get a hold of the guys doing the tap out cancer tournaments and see how they are getting it done.

I've ran zero tournaments and no, I don't think I can pull this off. I was just making the thread to put the idea out there to see if it could grow legs. I thought I was pretty clear about that.

Sounds pretty dumb to me, I wouldn't participate and I am not a TLI nuthugger

dumb idea... you have any idea what it takes to run a tournament?

I don't think there's anything absurd about a charity tournament. However, focusing on foundations related to sexual assault makes it seem kind of vogue and reactionary. Like I mentioned in the Ryan Hall thread where you brought it up, an organization like United Way, which contributes to multiple charities, would make more sense. Along with the gimmick of no medals, I think that would keep the focus on promoting an attitude of community and service, without making it about all of this LI business.

And no, I am not able to do anything like this, but some people certainly are, and I think it's worth discussing so that it might come to their attention.

I don't think there's anything absurd about a charity tournament. However, focusing on foundations related to sexual assault makes it seem kind of vogue and reactionary. Like I mentioned in the Ryan Hall thread where you brought it up, an organization like United Way, which contributes to multiple charities, would make more sense. Along with the gimmick of no medals, I think that would keep the focus on promoting an attitude of community and service, without making it about all of this LI business.

And no, I am not able to do anything like this, but some people certainly are, and I think it's worth discussing so that it might come to their attention.

Yeah, I see your point. Thanks for offering a constructive comment.

I have a few thoughts about this.

First, Makhno, I applaud your efforts to try and take action towards bettering the BJJ name after these animals put our sport in the news for all the wrong reasons. And I don't think your idea for a tournament (or tournaments) is absurd at all.

When I started Tap Cancer Out, I had no idea what the hell I was doing. The thing is, I've realized that you'll never change anything (your life, your job, your marital status, the world) if you don't get up and do something about it, even if you don't know what that "something" is.

The idea to host our own tournaments wasn't even mine. It was my professor's idea, and that idea didn't come up until a year after I started the charity. After raising over $20k at our first one last year, our goal is to host 4 this year and raise $100k for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

I'm not trying to advertise what we do. I'm trying to tell you my story, and at least defend the idea, however crazy it might be, to show the world that what those animals did is in no way, shape or form indicative of the BJJ culture or its practitioners.

Now, the idea of hosting multiple coordinated tournaments would be very, very difficult. You'd need many insanely dedicated people to pull it off. I had no idea how to run a tournament when I ran my first one. But with the help of my instructor and over 30 amazing volunteers (many of which had never seen a BJJ match in their lives), we pulled it off. But I have a full time job not at all related to BJJ, so running a tournament owned my life. The BJJ community is amazing, but few, if any, have the proper time to commit to running multiple coordinated tournaments.

If you feel strongly about showing the world that the BJJ community can make a difference, then by all means do it. It will most likely mean that, because it is your idea, you'll bear the brunt of the responsibility. I'm sure people will help, but when it's your idea and your vision, you have to see it through no matter what the costs.

If you're passionate about this, try to set up a local tournament with affordable entry fees, disclosing that all proceeds (because you will incur costs like tournament insurance, referees, etc.) will go to [insert anti-violence against women charity here]. If it were close and affordable and helping a good cause, I would do it. I can see why it would seem a little reactionary to choose a charity that helps rape victims, battered women, etc, but isn't it better than doing nothing?

Back