Characteristics of a great striker?

• Thread starter Deleted member 412415
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 412415

What do you think are the most important characteristics of a efficient striker? Punching power, footwork, head movement, timing, etc.

Accuracy over power. Preferrably both,but accuracy first. The ability to hit your targets at will, regardless of your opponent's defense.

Look at Anderson Silva - when he's up against an opponent with weaker stand up he just seems so loose and relaxed, probably comes down to confidence I guess

What do you think are the most important characteristics of a efficient striker? Punching power, footwork, head movement, timing, etc.

All those characteristics are important in being an "efficient" striker, from a technical perspective. But being an efficient striker doesn't necessarily make you an "effective" striker......... IMO, the most important characteristic of an "effective" striker is composure..... which comes with experience. Still there are a lot of excellent technical fighters who find themselves getting there ass whipped by much less technical fighters because they lose composure. I.E: Zab Judah, Melvin Guillard....... in short, "efficient" is a measure of proficiency, "effective" is a measure of application. in the ring effective beats efficient...... every time!

The ability to utilize the pocket, and be able to counter from within it. They know how to use a gameplan and make it work, be patient with it, and not stray away when things dont go immediately like planned.

It's like asking what was the best collor in the mona lisa painting.
There is no just one factor.

Cardio+accuracy will do wonders.
So does STR and Technique.

Great blocking and the general awareness of which ranges and situations require him to bring his guard up as opposed to relying on head movement...

Without a doubt, there is only TWO things any body needs to possess to be a great striker.
Chuck Norris' beard or/and the ability to strike well.

On a more serious note, I think its largely timing and confidence.

a great striker is one who can attack any opening and strike hard.:icon_chee

a great striker is one who can overwhelm his opponent with strikes!

All those characteristics are important in being an "efficient" striker, from a technical perspective. But being an efficient striker doesn't necessarily make you an "effective" striker......... IMO, the most important characteristic of an "effective" striker is composure..... which comes with experience. Still there are a lot of excellent technical fighters who find themselves getting there ass whipped by much less technical fighters because they lose composure. I.E: Zab Judah, Melvin Guillard....... in short, "efficient" is a measure of proficiency, "effective" is a measure of application. in the ring effective beats efficient...... every time!
^^^ Was going to bring over a superb example from my library, but can link to it....

^^^ You made a great jumping off point to continue the discussion....

KS

Back