Changing up my workout again, what do you think Urban, Entropy inside pls.

sylva

White Belt
Reaction score
PULL:
Deadlift
Barbell rows.
Dumbell rows.
Weighted pull ups.
Face pulls.

PUSH:
Standing barbell press.
Barbell bench press.
Weighted dips.
Neider press.

SQUAT:
Back squat.
Front squats.
Goodmornings.
Standing calf raises.

POWER(saturday and or sunday)
Dumbell snatch.
Powerclean.
Sledge hammer work.(if accessible)
Keg lifts.(if accessible)

GRIP(saturday and or sunday)
Farmer walks.
Pinch grips.
Thor

Everything looks solid to me, just make sure you don't overtax your system with the power days on the end. Chances are 3x a week will be enough, and you're already utilizing a dynamic day, anyway.

I'll check Bompa's master text to see if there's a more efficient way to vary the intensity of your days within a week, but you're on a 3-day powerlifting split, and that's not his method; besides, the conjugate between END-Dynamic-ME days looks good.

A couple questions:
1) Why do you have both DB rows and BB rows in your routine?
2) Is Week #4 a deloading/detraining week?
3) Why are you doing grip work only on the weekends? Why not every other day?

Madmick said:
Everything looks solid to me, just make sure you don't overtax your system with the power days on the end. Chances are 3x a week will be enough, and you're already utilizing a dynamic day, anyway.

I'll check Bompa's master text to see if there's a more efficient way to vary the intensity of your days within a week, but you're on a 3-day powerlifting split, and that's not his method; besides, the conjugate between END-Dynamic-ME days looks good.

A couple questions:
1) Why do you have both DB rows and BB rows in your routine?
2) Is Week #4 a deloading/detraining week?
3) Why are you doing grip work only on the weekends? Why not every other day?

Sorry it's late when I wrote this up.

1.I'll take out the db rows and only have the BB ones.
2.It is just so im not taxing my CNS so muc and have some time to recoup but not be off my plan entirely. that can come after week 6 or further if my body feels up to it with the intemident light week at week 4.
3.I will step up the grip work, thats why I ask you guys to critique the routine so I can make it the best I can.
4.I'll take out the power day, and on and when deadlifts pop up on a dynamic lifting day i'll replace them with power cleans as they can be done much more explosively.

I really like your idea of switching up deadlifts with clean on dynamic days (instead of cramming in full days for C&J/Snatch).

Yeah, just do BB rows, but consider switching with DB rows every cycle (every 3 weeks) to very your exercises and to promote further adaptation.

Good fix on the grip work. Be careful about burning out your traps (with the farmer walks), though, especially before deadlift day. Maybe just farmer walks on the weekends: other exercises more local to the forearms would be better to surround your heavy lift days.

Taking the 4th week off means it's a detraining week. That's a great idea.

You're set to go. Urban and Carnal might gave more suggestions (I think they'll have something to amend or add in your pull day).

BTW, I think we should sticky this thread as a model to all future whitebelts how routine advice should be sought.

For real, Urban, this should be the "nOOb Training" done right to counter the one done wrong from the sticky.

A fine example, Sylva. And I am fully aware you were a member before me.

Madmick said:
I really like your idea of switching up deadlifts with clean on dynamic days (instead of cramming in full days for C&J/Snatch).

Yeah, just do BB rows, but consider switching with DB rows every cycle (every 3 weeks) to very your exercises and to promote further adaptation.

Good fix on the grip work. Be careful about burning out your traps (with the farmer walks), though, especially before deadlift day. Maybe just farmer walks on the weekends: other exercises more local to the forearms would be better to surround your heavy lift days.

Taking the 4th week off means it's a detraining week. That's a great idea.

You're set to go. Urban and Carnal might gave more suggestions (I think they'll have something to amend or add in your pull day).

Switching up the BB and DB rows sounds like a great idea, I appreciate all of your advice and your compliments on how I asked for it. And i'll be careful with the farmers walk.

you're trying to accomplish too many things simultaneously IMO. and I have no good experience with repetition or dynamic days. What I beleive is you should lift heavy and strive to make progress every week. So I think you've already gotten too complicated.

You have an abnormal amount of upper back work on your pull day, any reason for this?
there is some missing hamstring work IMO.
if listing your overhead press as first on your press day is a sign of its priority, you're going to have to aproach it differently than most lifts.

Really I just think it too complex. this kind of over planning has never gotten me anywhere. I mean consider trying to follow your progress on any one day: it'd be three weeks before you could quantify your progress and if you don't make any, you have to wait three more to check again. And that's on things you CAN quantify (max strength, and repetitions). Shit like dynamic effort is just somethign you have to have faith in. I dunno, it just seems overthought to me. IMO, Shooting for progress each week you can see will make your workouts more effective and keep you more motivated.

Urban said:
you're trying to accomplish too many things simultaneously IMO. and I have no good experience with repetition or dynamic days. What I beleive is you should lift heavy and strive to make progress every week. So I think you've already gotten too complicated.

You have an abnormal amount of upper back work on your pull day, any reason for this?
there is some missing hamstring work IMO.
if listing your overhead press as first on your press day is a sign of its priority, you're going to have to aproach it differently than most lifts.

Really I just think it too complex. this kind of over planning has never gotten me anywhere. I mean consider trying to follow your progress on any one day: it'd be three weeks before you could quantify your progress and if you don't make any, you have to wait three more to check again. And that's on things you CAN quantify (max strength, and repetitions). Shit like dynamic effort is just somethign you have to have faith in. I dunno, it just seems overthought to me. IMO, Shooting for progress each week you can see will make your workouts more effective and keep you more motivated.

OK, That is the kind of working out that I am used to. I the "over planing" part of this workout posted by Entropy a while back and finally got around to making it into my own template. I have been doing something like this lately but with a full body workout each day, and well. I've just not been happy with how i feel after the workout. So I thought if i switched it up to a regular push/pull/squat routine that it may work. I see you feel otherwise and I will strongly take that into consideration before making my final workout plan, wich will more than likely be back to the heavy lifting all the time, but before I make that change Id like to get a couple of more opinions, not that I dont value yours, as I do. I just like to hear what a couple others think of it.

BabyPhenom said:
looks good.... why are you changing workouts again?
Was on the one I posted a while back for 6 weeks, then two weeks off, and started a new full body workout plan and just dont like it so i made up this one to replace it...

SmashiusClay said:
I don't see any ab work, other than that its not bad.
I can add some in, but imo it seems like I get a lot of ab work doing bjj/muay thai 4 days a week. Well Im going to give this a try and really push the pace and stick with it. Thanks for all of your advice madmick, babyphenom, and urban.

Madmick said:
Out of curiosity, did you use Tate's Periodization Bible Part II to design this?
http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_133per

Nope, I made this all from stuff I have read at one point or another right here in this forum. I took everything I have read from, you, entropy, urban, and many others and put it together into what I thought(and hopefully) will turn out to be and excellent program.

sylva said:
I can add some in, but imo it seems like I get a lot of ab work doing bjj/muay thai 4 days a week. Well Im going to give this a try and really push the pace and stick with it. Thanks for all of your advice madmick, babyphenom, and urban.

If your MT is anything like mine, you probably don't need any additional ab work right now. Good luck.

Barut said:
If your MT is anything like mine, you probably don't need any additional ab work right now. Good luck.
I disagree, I've trained MT for 7 years but would never give up heavy ab work, I see it as essential to my lifting and also to my striking, MT will help (especially in endurance) but you still need ab wheel rollouts, saxxon side bends and the like.

Smashius, do you do any kettlebell work for your core?

Madmick said:
Smashius, do you do any kettlebell work for your core?
Nope, can't afford to spend over a hundred quid on dumbell variant

Back