changing the order of strength exercises from week to week, bad idea?

MMouse

Now you enter...the shredder
Banned
Reaction score
looking to do something like this once a week, to maintain/improve on strength but was wondering if it would be a bad idea to change up the order from week to week to prevent monotony?

all 3x5

Back Squats
Military Press
Deadlift
Bench Press

So instead of starting your 2nd week with back squats you would do OHP instead? Doubt there would be any problem with it, but i don't see it changing much as far as adding some variety to the mix

Do you only workout once/week? If not, why not do 2 of those per session, and start each session with the "other" exercise from last week?

Well since your doing both squats and deadlifts, and both presses and bench on the same day, it would allow you to put more even emphasis on the exercises. For example, if you've already squatted, you're probably not going to be deadlifting with the same intensity or volume as you would be if you deadlifted first. Same goes for presses and bench. But if, for example, you wanted to prioratize squats and bench over deadlifts and presses, then you'd do squats and bench first.

As for once a week, looking to improve on my cardiac output since it's been my weakness as far as conditioning go's doing it 2-3 times a week, so i'm decreasing the volume of strength to keep it secondary. This go's along with training kickboxing 2-3 times a week.

I find I have no problems gaining strength, as I've had experience doing rippetoe 5x5, frankie's mass building 5x5 following it to stone. Just never done something like changing order from week to week, which is why thought I'd asks. But yes now that you brought up on prioritizing certain lifts I should focus more on first two, then switch it up.

Unfortunately, getting into kickboxing I've stopped doing weights for 5 months believing weights slow you down, so now I'm getting back into it starting back to the basics. Being someone who has no problems being explosive, gaining strength but gassing out quick, is why I've up more volume in cardiac output and try and keep strength to minimal.

looking to do something like this once a week, to maintain/improve on strength but was wondering if it would be a bad idea to change up the order from week to week to prevent monotony?

all 3x5

Back Squats
Military Press
Deadlift
Bench Press

Just to clarify... Are you asking if, once you start working the exercises in this particular order, if it will be bad to change the order?

Just to clarify... Are you asking if, once you start working the exercises in this particular order, if it will be bad to change the order?

yes change the order from week to week....

yes change the order from week to week....

There's no issue whatsoever. It's still the same "mix" of exercises.

In my analogical way of figuring, it's like looking at a recipe for a cake with the dry ingredients that need to be mixed, say salt, sugar, flour, cocoa... does it matter which order they go into the mixing bowl? Nope. In the end, they're the same mix.

Does this jibe with what you were thinking?

There's no issue whatsoever. It's still the same "mix" of exercises.

In my analogical way of figuring, it's like looking at a recipe for a cake with the dry ingredients that need to be mixed, say salt, sugar, flour, cocoa... does it matter which order they go into the mixing bowl? Nope. In the end, they're the same mix.

Does this jibe with what you were thinking?

interesting analogy

yes exactly what I was thinking!!! thanks

Back