changing stances...

B

blanko

in my old muay thai gym i was taught (what i think was) a very defensive stance where most of my weight was on my back leg. Was i taught wrong? Now my new kickboxing coach is trying to change my stance into a boxingesque one (the best way i can describe it, with my weight evenly on both legs). How long do you think it would take for me to switch stances?

get used to the new stance , u never want your weight on the back leg. work hard on it and it will change , how quick depends on you.

I like to use a 60:40 stance. You lose a lot of mobility when you have too much weight on one leg. Changing your stance, like parallax said, is all about how muh effort and concentration you are willing to put in.

So, what would the best stance for MMA be considered? The "classic" boxing stance, with the feet about shoulder-width apart, both feet facing forward with the lead foot slightly pointed in?

its the same for me muay thai weight on back ...kickboxing is just a bit more of an angle from a boxing stance...i just adjust

farmboy said:
So, what would the best stance for MMA be considered? The "classic" boxing stance, with the feet about shoulder-width apart, both feet facing forward with the lead foot slightly pointed in?

For MMA you can use the 'classic boxing stance' as a frame then adjust it so you have a more balanced stance with feet a little wider than shoulder-width and knees bent a bit lower. Basically, by lowering your center of gravity and expanding your base you are preventing any easy takedown attempts.

That makes sense. It's entirely different depending on the rules of the competition. I usually have strictly stand up fight rules, so I really don't have to worry about getting shot in on. But, once I start going MMA rules, it'll be a whole new game.

the wider and the lower the better. watch liddell vs couture 2 , that was like perfect footwork + stance

Back