Changing glove and cage design would 100% eliminate cheating.

Skeptic_Zero

I immigrated from Siberia to Alaska.
@Blue
Reaction score
In criminal justice, there's this whole field of research that shows that if you make committing crime more difficult - even by a little bit - through smart design or personnel utilization, crime problems will decrease.

I believe this could easily transfer to eliminating the two most common and impactful in-the-cage issues - eye pokes and cage grabs. We've seen time and time again how problematic a well-timed eye poke can be, and stopping an opponent's takedown through grabbing the cage is just as bad. To make matters worse, referees are hesitant to take points away and give warning after warning (e.g. Herb Dean) for blatant cheating.

Now I'm not saying that everyone who grabs cage or eyepokes does it on purpose, but with simply smarter equipment design - such as closed gloves that still allow you to use your fingers and hands for submissions and using some type of slat-based cage - could completely eliminate common fouls by simply making them impossible to do. You won't change behavior by giving out inconsistent penalties and warnings.

At this point I honestly don't understand why at least gloves haven't been changed. I don't know how many more red eyes and blatant examples of corneal flicks we have to see to do something so simple that would improve fight outcomes and fighter's health.

I’m sorry you lost me at “in criminal justice”

Crazy part is that such gloves already exist lol.

I’m sorry, but you lost me at “100%”.

I am not aware of said crime decreasing utilization. But I'd have thought preventing a crime in one place only shift's it's potential to another place? Like the ripple butterfly affect.

Many people in the uk stay at home to drink now due to soaring pint costs & it being much cheaper to buy a pack of beers in Lidl/Audi.

But there's more drink related domestics reported now from homes.

The UFC gloves and cage are iconic. Never change them

Nothing will totally eliminate cheating, but disqualifications and harsh pay cuts would probably help.

Nothing will totally eliminate cheating, but disqualifications and harsh pay cuts would probably help.
The tough this is it’s so hard to tell if it’s intentional or not

58885926.jpg

The refs are too generous with warnings IMO. If you thwart a take down by grabbing the fence that should be a mandatory point deduction.

Eye pokes are trickier to enforce with both fighters moving unpredictably, new glove design might help with that.

Making fouls easily available is a way to fix fights, giving one fighter license to cheat while the referee turns a blind eye on him.

The UFC wants it's stars to win, that's why fighters like Jones or Conor get away with constant cheating while less popular fighters get called out by a ref the moment they do a foul.

Lost me at C

Making fouls easily available is a way to fix fights, giving one fighter license to cheat while the referee turns a blind eye on him.

The UFC wants it's stars to win, that's why fighters like Jones or Conor get away with constant cheating while less popular fighters get called out by a ref the moment they do a foul.

Of course the UFC wants it's stars to win, but I don't think the refs are in on it.

I don't understand why they haven't introduced the curved glove, Pride had it dialled moons ago. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure that one out.

I understand they cant put an electrified cage because America its a pussies country, but at least put some barbed wire so we can get ride of wall and stall and fence grabing.

Back